Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2022, 7:43 pm

Whirlpool Nexus Center

Applied for one kid’s first Nexus renewal in 2021 (before expiry). Conditional approval within a week after that. Booked an appointment for 8/19/22 at Whirlpool as we would typically be traveling around that time of year. Another of my kid’s Nexus was renewed in June 2022 after we got a new passport. Again Conditional approval just over a month after and booked an interview for April 2023. I was hoping to snag a last minute cancellation for 8/19/22. No luck. Brought the whole family to the office and asked if she could get her interview done too. Nice group of CBSA and CBP officers in that office.

She gave me a separate form to fill out for kid without the appointment. Took them both to get new pics and I opted for fingerprints in the hopes they will work for GE in the future.

CBSA took their Nexus and passports then passed it over to CBP and he called us to the back. Was out of there within 20 mins.

Whirlpool toll collection didn’t take my E-ZPASS for some reason so I had to load money on my Nexus. Ticked me off. Oh well.

Now still waiting for spouse’s July 2021 renewal which is still pending review to this day. Hoping for an auto renewal.
seawolf likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eiloo
Applied for one kid’s first Nexus renewal in 2021 (before expiry). Conditional approval within a week after that. Booked an appointment for 8/19/22 at Whirlpool as we would typically be traveling around that time of year. Another of my kid’s Nexus was renewed in June 2022 after we got a new passport. Again Conditional approval just over a month after and booked an interview for April 2023. I was hoping to snag a last minute cancellation for 8/19/22. No luck. Brought the whole family to the office and asked if she could get her interview done too. Nice group of CBSA and CBP officers in that office.

She gave me a separate form to fill out for kid without the appointment. Took them both to get new pics and I opted for fingerprints in the hopes they will work for GE in the future.

CBSA took their Nexus and passports then passed it over to CBP and he called us to the back. Was out of there within 20 mins.

Whirlpool toll collection didn’t take my E-ZPASS for some reason so I had to load money on my Nexus. Ticked me off. Oh well.

Now still waiting for spouse’s July 2021 renewal which is still pending review to this day. Hoping for an auto renewal.
Good to hear they took the other child in. GE kiosk are moving away from fingerprints to just facial recognition (thought CBP might collect them anyway).
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by seawolf
Good to hear they took the other child in. GE kiosk are moving away from fingerprints to just facial recognition (thought CBP might collect them anyway).
CBP collected my fingerprints during my renewal interview (I was a little surprised since they have them already - or maybe they think fingerprints need to updated periodically?)
Old Aug 21, 2022, 5:37 pm

I booked an appointment in Detroit for two and got in quickly. My "second" was my wife and they refused to take her because I booked the appointment on my account. We are trying to book her an appointment and have looked at Detroit, Port Huron, Niagara, Pearson, and Salt Ste Marie. We couldn't find anything. The only thing that showed up in our region was in rural Minnesota.

I'm in the soup with the wife over this one.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 5:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I booked an appointment in Detroit for two and got in quickly. My "second" was my wife and they refused to take her because I booked the appointment on my account. We are trying to book her an appointment and have looked at Detroit, Port Huron, Niagara, Pearson, and Salt Ste Marie. We couldn't find anything. The only thing that showed up in our region was in rural Minnesota.

I'm in the soup with the wife over this one.
Website does not allow booking interviews for another applicant. It will filter dates if you indicate how many spots you need but actual booking need to take place on applicant’s own account.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 6:39 pm

After our failed attempt, we used her account filtering for one. Nothing realistic was showing up for 2022.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
After our failed attempt, we used her account filtering for one. Nothing realistic was showing up for 2022.
Keep trying at various times during the day and you may find one. When I was trying to get one for one of my kids that matched an earlier appointment, I did see the odd one of September and October in Whirlpool but they were all short lived and I wasn’t planning travel at those times. Good luck.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by eiloo
Keep trying at various times during the day and you may find one. When I was trying to get one for one of my kids that matched an earlier appointment, I did see the odd one of September and October in Whirlpool but they were all short lived and I wasn’t planning travel at those times. Good luck.
Though my application is still under review, I find myself refreshing the scheduler link periodically throughout the day to see what locations have appointments soon. Minnesota seems to always have appointments in the current week but, occasionally, Pembina, ND, Blaine, WA and Detroit, MI pop up. Haven't seen a single NY state appointment!
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:26 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hang in there, fellow FTers who wound up on the "slow road" renewal path. I finally got mine!

Second renewal:
NEXUS renewal application: 2021-07-17

Approval without re-interview: 2022-08-24 (404 days / 1y 1m 8d)
Card arrives: 2022-09-03

(previous renewal also didn't require re-interview, but only took 65 days plus another few for the card to arrive)

Last edited by CKDGM; Sep 5, 2022 at 2:02 pm Reason: add card arrival date
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:32 am

Finally got approval - no interview required. Applied July 22, 2021. Approved today, August 25, 2022.

I have a trip coming up in a week - if my new card doesn't arrive in the mail on time is my old one still valid or is that a big no (guessing the later).
DualityOfNam likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:38 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Didds
Finally got approval - no interview required. Applied July 22, 2021. Approved today, August 25, 2022.

I have a trip coming up in a week - if my new card doesn't arrive in the mail on time is my old one still valid or is that a big no (guessing the later).
I believe the old card is valid until you activate the new card online (after you receive it), so that people in your situation aren't out of luck.
Didds likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Hang in there, fellow FTers who wound up on the "slow road" renewal path. I finally got mine!

Second renewal:
NEXUS renewal application: 2021-07-17

Approval without re-interview: 2022-08-24 (404 days / 1y 1m 8d)
Card arrives: TBD (but I don't have any travel at all planned right now); will update this post.

(previous renewal also didn't require re-interview, but only took 65 days plus another few for the card to arrive)
I applied 11 days after you so hoping to get a no-interview approval by 9/4/2022.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by CKDGM
I believe the old card is valid until you activate the new card online (after you receive it), so that people in your situation aren't out of luck.
Yes, I used the old card on a land border crossing between approval and receiving my new card and had no problems.
Didds likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:28 pm

I submitted my renewal application on July 18 and got approved today, no interview required. Approx 6 weeks turnaround time, maybe a sign things are getting back closer to normal?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:15 pm

I'm a US citizen who became a Canadian PR about a year ago. I tried to update my NEXUS account last year to add my CA PR card, but because of the offices being closed, etc., it was done via Mail, Phone calls, and Emails to the Blaine office. Eventually they added it to my profile but it's listed under "documents proving you can enter the United States". But every time I used the NEXUS kiosk to re-enter Canada, the receipt said "V" and not "R" like my Canadian citizen spouse (I presume V=visitor and R=resident). But I just show my PR card with the NEXUS receipt and CBSA never says anything and waves me through.

Doing my renewal today - there's no where to indicate my Canadian PR status or card details, only if I was also a Canadian citizen to put in details about that. Is that going to be an issue with the renewal process? Or should I just anticipate having to interview for the renewal for the Canadian side to properly process my PR card in their system?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.