Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:19 am

I guess my timing for renewal was pretty good, all things considered.

Membership expires: September, 2023
Renewal application turned in: September, 2022 (4 days after eligible to renew)
Approved, with no interview (for the second time) or "conditional approval" stage: Yesterday, December 2022.

Oh and for anyone interested, the electronic letter for my last renewal and this one both have the address of the "old" CBP/CBSA location at King County/Boeing Field, which is also where I did my initial interview to sign up.

Last edited by wesmills; Dec 8, 2022 at 10:24 am Reason: add info
Old Dec 12, 2022, 11:47 am

My wife and I both applied for Nexus renewal in Jan 2022. Both had expired, we didn't apply before expiration so didn't get the extension. She was approved within a couple of weeks. I was awaiting review (no idea why the difference), then expecting an interview etc., but in November it was approved and the new card showed up in the mail. So 10-11 months total.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 3:15 pm

Applied for renewal in May 2022, approved with no interview request. Changed a lot of information at renewal as well (address, Visa to GC, etc)
Old Dec 13, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Applied for renewal in May 2022, several months before expiration. Expiration date came and went. Notified today by email that I've been fully approved (no interview required) for the standard five years beyond that expiration date, which was also the case with my previous renewal, so I assume the photo on my new card will be the one taken at my first and only interview 11 years ago. Approval letter was from the Buffalo enrollment center in Fort Erie, Ontario, which is where I had that first interview. Used TSA PreCheck between expiration date and today with no problem. Used Global Entry twice -- once in Atlanta and once in Newark -- for the first time in years (but prior to Nexus expiration date, though I assume it would have worked post-expiration too) and was impressed at how simple and fast GE is now -- a quick photo at the GE kiosk followed by a screen touch to confirm the ID data brought up by the photo, and a very basic (~2 questions) on-screen customs declaration. I never needed to produce my passport and the whole GE process took less than a minute. Snazzy.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Wise Chaldean
impressed at how simple and fast GE is now -- a quick photo at the GE kiosk followed by a screen touch to confirm the ID data brought up by the photo, and a very basic (~2 questions) on-screen customs declaration. I never needed to produce my passport and the whole GE process took less than a minute. Snazzy.
9 months and still pending here. Expired three months ago.

Used GE in Newark yesterday and even snazzier. Quick facial scan, agent standing nearby with an iPad says “anything to declare Mr Ironmanjt?” Nope, and on I go. No passport. No on screen questions. Just a photo, match with the agent, and off you go!
Old Dec 13, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
9 months and still pending here. Expired three months ago.

Used GE in Newark yesterday and even snazzier. Quick facial scan, agent standing nearby with an iPad says “anything to declare Mr Ironmanjt?” Nope, and on I go. No passport. No on screen questions. Just a photo, match with the agent, and off you go!
Wow! I think that was my GE experience these last two times too (a few months ago), and my memory was faulty. Thanks for this current report!
Old Dec 18, 2022, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by CovertCanuc
So, adding my experience to the collective board...

NEXUS Card Expiring: June 2023
Applied for Renewal: July 2022

As of Dec 2022 (~6 months after renewal submitted), still stuck in "Pending Review" - I recently misplaced my NEXUS card during travel and can't seem to replace it while it's pending renewal. Hope the approval comes through soon.
Seems like there's also no way to request a new card if you have submitted a renewal application. The waiting game to pass renewal continues...
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:01 pm

First renewal
Nexus card expiring Oct 2023
Applied for renewal Oct 2022

Received approval after 78 days. No interview required despite multiple address and job changes. Approval letter came from the the YVR office which is where I did my first interview.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Nexus renewal data point (my first renewal):
January 2021: Applied for renewal 364 days in advance of expiration
October 2021: Conditional approval received. Interview required for renewal. Didn't schedule one
January 2022: Card reached expiration (PreCheck / GE still worked dozens of times after this with no issue).
December 3, 2022: Full approval e-mail received out of the blue (again - no interview, which was great!)
December 16, 2022: Card received in the mail. Card valid until January 2027 (5 years following expiration date of prior card)
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:07 am

Nexus expires in March 2023. The last time I renewed back in 2018 there was no interview required.

Renewed in October 2022, still stuck in Pending Review as of December 2022. Two months down, here we go!
Old Dec 21, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: Scotia Points, Aeroplan, Nexus, Global Entry
2nd renewal data point (Canadian from Montreal):

Nexus expires on January 16 2023
Applied for renewal on June 23rd 2022
Received email notification of approval today on Dec 21st 2022 from original interview location in Champlain NY, no interview required even though change of address and multiple new countries added on
Expiration date January 2028
Old Dec 21, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
2nd renewal:

Nexus expires in August 2023.
Applied for renewal on October 2.
Received approval today, December 21, 2022. Address was original interview location.

Similar to jv66, I had a change of address, new countries, and even new documents (I added on a birth certificate). No interview required. I was kind of surprised as I figured they would want a new picture.

Edited to add: I noticed a few folks speculated about their country list sparking an interview request. My list in the last 5 years was Argentina, Austria, Chile, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, and the UK. None of those alone, or in combination, were apparently enough of a red flag to trigger an interview. I didn't figure the European countries would, but thought the South American countries or Israel might.

Last edited by sullim4; Dec 23, 2022 at 11:08 pm
Old Dec 22, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by sullim4
2nd renewal:

Nexus expires in August 2023.
Applied for renewal on October 2.
Received approval today, December 21, 2022. Address was original interview location.

Similar to jv66, I had a change of address, new countries, and even new documents (I added on a birth certificate). No interview required. I was kind of surprised as I figured they would want a new picture.
On that note, anyone know of a way to get a new picture into the database if we get selected for automatic renewal? No new passport for a few years, I look different (less hair) than a few years ago, so the facial recognition kiosks never recognize me.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 1:29 pm

Time to renew and credit card

My Nexus membership expires in December 2023. Should I apply now for my renewal? Or wait a few months?

2nd question: Is there any credit card that reimburses for the Nexus fee? (I have cards that reimburse for Global Entry, but Nexus is not included on those cards - unless I missed it.)

Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by STB1
My Nexus membership expires in December 2023. Should I apply now for my renewal? Or wait a few months?
Welcome to FT. You can renew 364 days before expiration. There is really no reason to wait.
2nd question: Is there any credit card that reimburses for the Nexus fee? (I have cards that reimburse for Global Entry, but Nexus is not included on those cards - unless I missed it.)

Thanks!
You may wish to double check with your credit card issuer. Chase Sapphire Reserve now reimburses NEXUS.

Happy Holidays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.