Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Originally Posted by dudeasaurusrex
Any tips on when to check for appointments? I've been conditionally approved, but can't find any appointments near me.
If you live near an enrollment center and can go there anytime on short notice, check availability at that center frequently. People often cancel 0-1 days before their appointment.

If you're looking for an interview date far in the future because you'll be traveling near that center for business or vacation at a specific time, then keep an eye on this thread for when new blocks of interviews are released several months in advance, as was done recently for the Niagara Falls center January - June 2023. In case you don't have it already, here is a direct link to check interview availability without needing to log in to TTP: https://ttp.dhs.gov/schedulerui/sche...nal&service=NH

When you click on the name of the center, you'll get a pop-up box saying when the next available interview date there is (if there are any). If you find an available interview time, you'll need to log in to book it, assuming you've been conditionally approved.
seawolf and dudeasaurusrex like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by dudeasaurusrex
Any tips on when to check for appointments? I've been conditionally approved, but can't find any appointments near me.
Welcome to FlyerTalk dudeasaurusrex!

Take a look at this thread:
dudeasaurusrex likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
My data points--

Original NEXUS approval was 12/15/2010 and my first renewal was 06/24/2015 and no interview was needed.

Obtained conditional approval 08/05/2020 and then waited and waited and waited for the enrollment centre's to reopen.

Completed my interview 07/14/2022 at Port Huron and received my card yesterday from 1300 Pennsylvania Ave in D.C. Expiration date for my card is late January, 2026, so not quite a true five years on it. On the upside, at least I continued to have access to PreCheck from what was technically my expiration in January, 2021.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I've been waiting since June 2021 and am still in Pending Review. Not super concerned yet since expired card will continue to work, and I haven't been much of anywhere that interesting outside USA/Canada in past 5 years unless CBSA and CBP think Australia is problematic .
Ok, submitted renewal June 2021.

Expiration was April 2022.

A 1:30AM EDT email today (Monday 1 August) indicates a status change in my application.

Logged in, renewal approved with no interview required and I am good for another 5 years to April 2027. Approval address on the letter in my online account is the YUL location, which is where I interviewed originally.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
I can tell you now as the letter is in my account. It came from:
VANCOUVER ENROLLMENT CENTER
3211 Grant McConachie Way
Richmond, BC V7B1Y7
CA

This is not the center where I originally interviewed. I originally interviewed at the Urban Vancouver office in late 2012 which is now permanently closed and this is my second renewal with no interview needed.
Note: Less than 10 years elapsed since last photo. That's a requirement to qualify for a remote interview ( https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...tent_entity=en ) and perhaps an interview waiver. Data to the contrary would be welcome.

Last edited by Wise Chaldean; Aug 1, 2022 at 12:08 pm
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:07 pm

Talking

I've been watching this thread for a while now, so I figured I'd add my datapoints for others who are stuck in renewal purgatory.

I renewed memberships for myself + my parents + my sister in mid-June 2021. We are all Americans and have all been NEXUS members since 10/2016.

My parents were renewed within a day automatically and received their cards within a week-or-two. They had no changes to their lives since the original application (same address, same jobs, roughly same pay, no concerning countries visited), so it made sense that their application succeeded rather quickly. Their cards are set to expire in 6/2026.

My sister's application was tentatively approved for an interview around January 2022 (~6 months after application). Since becoming a NEXUS member in 2016, she entered college, has held 2 jobs, and had turned 18 (and 21 this year), so it's not too surprising to me that she'll need to re-interview and probably get a new photo or something.

My application was finally approved on Friday, 7/29/2022 (~13.5 months after application). Since becoming a NEXUS member in 2016, I've completed a college degree, held 6+ jobs, and am about to start on a postgraduate degree. Since I was fully approved without a need for an interview, I should be receiving my card in the mail in the next week-or-two. According to the notification from the Blaine enrollment center, my card is set to expire in 7/2027.

Happy to have this over with, and I'm super pleased I don't have to trek up to Blaine for a renewal interview (I'm in the Western US).

Last edited by finallyrenewedfornexus; Aug 1, 2022 at 5:07 pm Reason: adding expiration date
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:59 pm

Update on my 1st renewal.

Expiry Date: May 2023
Applied: June 8, 2022
Fully Approved: Aug 3, 2022 (56 days)
New Expiration: May 2028

Address on the notification is where I originally interviewed.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:21 pm

If anyone has renewal data points for the Fort Erie enrollment center, please share. I know it's closed -- I'm looking for reports of any renewals that have the Fort Erie center address on the approval letter. TIA
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by finallyrenewedfornexus
I've been watching this thread for a while now, so I figured I'd add my datapoints for others who are stuck in renewal purgatory.

I renewed memberships for myself + my parents + my sister in mid-June 2021. We are all Americans and have all been NEXUS members since 10/2016.

My parents were renewed within a day automatically and received their cards within a week-or-two. They had no changes to their lives since the original application (same address, same jobs, roughly same pay, no concerning countries visited), so it made sense that their application succeeded rather quickly. Their cards are set to expire in 6/2026.

My sister's application was tentatively approved for an interview around January 2022 (~6 months after application). Since becoming a NEXUS member in 2016, she entered college, has held 2 jobs, and had turned 18 (and 21 this year), so it's not too surprising to me that she'll need to re-interview and probably get a new photo or something.

My application was finally approved on Friday, 7/29/2022 (~13.5 months after application). Since becoming a NEXUS member in 2016, I've completed a college degree, held 6+ jobs, and am about to start on a postgraduate degree. Since I was fully approved without a need for an interview, I should be receiving my card in the mail in the next week-or-two. According to the notification from the Blaine enrollment center, my card is set to expire in 7/2027.

Happy to have this over with, and I'm super pleased I don't have to trek up to Blaine for a renewal interview (I'm in the Western US).
Can you explain how to renew a family? i.e. we have kids under 18 years old, and of course, everyone has a different birthdate. So when the dad's birthday comes up, how can he renew the card for the kids together? I thought they won't allow it until it gets to the birthday month. Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seapad
Can you explain how to renew a family? i.e. we have kids under 18 years old, and of course, everyone has a different birthdate. So when the dad's birthday comes up, how can he renew the card for the kids together? I thought they won't allow it until it gets to the birthday month. Thanks!
You can't submit renewal "together" unless you hold off on renewing the person with the earlier renewal eligibility until the person with the later eligibility is eligible. However it doesn't make sense to hold off on renewing given some renewals are processed within days while others could take months.

Just renew each individual when they are eligible. If an interview is required, you can always hold off scheduling (up to 730 days from conditional approval) until everyone is conditional approval (and need an interview).
seapad likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Datapoint:

Original NEXUS approval: March 2012 (Detroit/Windsor location)
Renewal: March 2017 (expires September 2022)
Applied to renew: February, 2022

I'm assuming I get an interview since they (CBP) were unhappy with my country list back in 2017, but this time there's nowhere they should be too unhappy with (benefits of finally having been to every country...)

From others on this thread, looks like it could easily be another 6+ months...
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:30 pm

You can't submit renewal "together" unless you hold off on renewing the person with the earlier renewal eligibility until the person with the later eligibility is eligible. However it doesn't make sense to hold off on renewing given some renewals are processed within days while others could take months.

Just renew each individual when they are eligible. If an interview is required, you can always hold off scheduling (up to 730 days from conditional approval) until everyone is conditional approval (and need an interview).
+1 to this.

3 members of my family had birthdays in April, one member had a birthday in June. Since those months aren't too far apart, I held off on renewing everyone's passes until the June birthday had happened in 2021.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Wow. First renewal.

Original Expiry: June 2023
Renewal Submitted: Mid June 2022 (364 days before expiry)
Approved: Yesterday.
New Expiry (from TTP website, no card yet): June 2028.

No interview required.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:44 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by finallyrenewedfornexus

Update: Finally received my card today, it came from the 1300 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington DC address and not my nearest enrollment center (Blaine, WA).

The card arrived 10 days after approval. All-in-all, I was one week short of the whole process taking 14 months! Good to have this over with, hopefully this backlog is resolved when I renew in 2027.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Alaska MVP Gold, United Silver
Just passed the one year mark since I submitted my renewal… still pending.

One thing I did notice is that the “Update Documents” link is back again (which is great, because I renewed my passport in the meantime and hadn’t yet planned a trip down to Blaine for an in-person document update). Previously one couldn’t update documents online while a renewal was pending — did something change?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.