Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:23 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Just want to clarify that your new NEXUS card is valid more than five years from now. If that is the case, I shall renew or make an interview appointment, if required, a day after my birthday/expiration date..
I renewed mine shortly after my birthday last year because it was going to expire on my birthday this year. The new card expires on my birthday in 2022, 5+ years from now.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Thank you for letting us know. Just want to clarify that your new NEXUS card is valid more than five years from now. If that is the case, I shall renew or make an interview appointment, if required, a day after my birthday/expiration date..
No, less than 5 years from now. The new card expires exactly 5 years from the expiration date of the old card, which was in Dec 2016. I received my new card a few weeks after the old one expired. However I've been told you are permitted to use your old card when expired so long as your renewal is in progress. I'm not sure if that's true since I never traveled on my old Nexus card while it was expired.

nrg
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by nrgiii
No, less than 5 years from now. The new card expires exactly 5 years from the expiration date of the old card, which was in Dec 2016. I received my new card a few weeks after the old one expired. However I've been told you are permitted to use your old card when expired so long as your renewal is in progress. I'm not sure if that's true since I never traveled on my old Nexus card while it was expired.

nrg
Thank you for your clarification. In this case, it is the same as Global Entry. No matter when you renew, before or after expiration date, new card expires five years from previous card. I would renew as soon as possible, no point of waiting.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
My NEXUS expiration is in December 2017.
Now I already see the renewal tab when I checked my GOES account.
I wonder if I can already apply for NEXUS renewal way in advance...
I thought I could apply for the renewal online in September this year the earliest
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
My NEXUS expiration is in December 2017.
Now I already see the renewal tab when I checked my GOES account.
I wonder if I can already apply for NEXUS renewal way in advance...
I thought I could apply for the renewal online in September this year the earliest
From the GOES FAQ (not logged in):
When will my membership expire and how soon can I renew my membership?
When will my membership expire and how soon can I renew my membership?
The expiration date for your program membership is displayed on your GOES home page after you login to GOES. You may renew your membership one year prior to your membership expiration date or anytime after your membership has expired.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by dioxide45
I would time your appointment according to your birth date. I found it interesting that our Nexus is valid for almost 6 years. DW and my birth dates are in Sept and Aug. Our Nexus is valid through our birthday 2022. So if your birthday is coming up, wait to schedule your appointment until after your birthday. I suspect they don't want to make your Nexus valid for less than five years after first approval, so timing can be useful.
I hadn't considered birthday as far as renewal. Mine expires on my birthday in 2 weeks. I applied for renewal 6 weeks ago, was getting antsy since I thought I wanted to renew before my birthday.

But now, especially since I don't have any travel planned (except to the Nexus office of my choice since I'm in TPA), then I should let it expire and renew when it's convenient for me.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
I hadn't considered birthday as far as renewal. Mine expires on my birthday in 2 weeks. I applied for renewal 6 weeks ago, was getting antsy since I thought I wanted to renew before my birthday.

But now, especially since I don't have any travel planned (except to the Nexus office of my choice since I'm in TPA), then I should let it expire and renew when it's convenient for me.
Renewal is treated differently than initial application. You do not get extra time for renewal, meaning your validity date will be birthday in 2022 whether you renew it before or after your birthday in 2017.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
I just found information here https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...us/renew-nexus
It says
"CBP and CBSA are asking the NEXUS members begin their application renewal 90 days prior to their membership expiration date."

So which one is correct 1 year or 90 days
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:11 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I just found information here https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...us/renew-nexus
It says
"CBP and CBSA are asking the NEXUS members begin their application renewal 90 days prior to their membership expiration date."

So which one is correct 1 year or 90 days
Both. You may renew as early as 1 year; they're asking you to do so with at least 90 days remaining.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Both. You may renew as early as 1 year; they're asking you to do so with at least 90 days remaining.
OK.
I can use my NEXUS/GE as usual until my renewal is approved during the process, correct?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:36 pm

OK.
I can use my NEXUS/GE as usual until my renewal is approved during the process, correct?
You can use your current NEXUS until it expires. Once your renewal has final approval, then you can use your NEXUS until next expiration date. If your NEXUS expires before you have renewal final approval, then you cannot use your current NEXUS.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:56 pm

You can use your current NEXUS until it expires. Once your renewal has final approval, then you can use your NEXUS until next expiration date. If your NEXUS expires before you have renewal final approval, then you cannot use your current NEXUS.
Thank you for the info.
I will submit my renewal application as soon as possible then since mine will expire in Dec 2017.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:56 pm

Thank you for the info.
I will submit my renewal application as soon as possible then since mine will expire in Dec 2017.
You are welcome. You have nine months to renew if you start today. There is no benefit to renew after expiration date.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:15 pm

You are welcome. You have nine months to renew if you start today. There is no benefit to renew after expiration date.
I just submitted my renewal application today.
I hope I don't need to fly to Canada just for an interview...
I renewed my passport way before my passport expiration date last year. Of course I updated my passport information at GOES when I received my new passport, but I haven't updated my passport information with Canada yet.
If that makes me fly to Canada for the renewal, probably it's a good idea to call the NEXUS Canadian processing center and update my passport information?
I searched but still I'm not 100% sure if I still need to update my passport information with Canada or GOES update is enough...

I wonder if anyone got an approval without interview even he/she didn't update passport information with Canada in case they had to get a new passport before the renewal...

Last edited by MrJBoy; Mar 15, 2017 at 2:25 pm
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yup. Haven't looked at this thread, but I'm at 6 weeks as of yesterday, for a renewal. Still pending. Last time I think it took like 4 or 5 weeks. I think if I'm counting correctly, yesterday was 31 business days. Anyone know if renewal times are typically the same as new application times? Mine doesn't actually expire until August, but thought it would be good to do the renewal at the same time as my wife, who expires the end of April. But she didn't submit hers until early March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.