Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I used to have a Dilbert cartoon on my cube wall where the "random number generator" was a troll that kept repeating the number 9.
Hah, hadn't seen that one.

Dilbert Comic Strip on 2001-10-25 | Dilbert by Scott Adams
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Heard a loud beep as I walked through the metal detector at LAX this morning. It was different sound than the alert the when metal is detected.

I was asked to step aside. Another TSO came and asked me if I had a computer in my carry on bag. I replied that I did. She instructed me to let her know when my bag comes out of the x-ray machine because she needed to swab my computer. No problem. My bag was already out. I got it, took the computer out and informed her that I was still waiting for my jacket with my wallet in it; it was a few bins behind my rollaboard. She went and got the jacket for me and then proceeded to swab my computer and test the strip for explosives. The whole process added perhaps 90 seconds to the screening procedure.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:39 pm

ive read though this entire thread and have a few questions since i just got my number today and will be flying in 2 weeks. i exclusively use PHL term D/E and DFW E 18, i think it is. (both have separate lines i'm looking forward to using).. ive been getting the groin check last 3 times and its annoying. then swab alarm and cell and sneaks had explosives on but bag was clean. i'm that good that i dont get bomb residue on my bag but i forgot to clean my sneaks and phones...yea...

1. people are talking about the number of beeps a scanner gives. i never noticed any beeps with the scanner, did i just miss them? whats the secret code to how many mean what?

2. i dont mind taking all out of pockets and my coat off (big zipper) and my watch but keeping shoes and belt on will be nice. however from what i read i may actually be scolded for doing all this removing?

3. i'm hoping the terminals i use only have metal detectors but i never looked close enough to tell. assuming they do, does this mean absent a random check that i no longer have to worry about the groping? or if the metal detector goes off i get sent nextdoor to the commoners line?

4. and why dont they tell you what you have that set off the alarm. thats annoying as heck.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by luckydriver
ive read though this entire thread and have a few questions since i just got my number today and will be flying in 2 weeks. i exclusively use PHL term D/E and DFW E 18, i think it is. (both have separate lines i'm looking forward to using).. ive been getting the groin check last 3 times and its annoying. then swab alarm and cell and sneaks had explosives on but bag was clean. i'm that good that i dont get bomb residue on my bag but i forgot to clean my sneaks and phones...yea...

3. i'm hoping the terminals i use only have metal detectors but i never looked close enough to tell. assuming they do, does this mean absent a random check that i no longer have to worry about the groping? or if the metal detector goes off i get sent nextdoor to the commoners line?
Terminal D/E at PHL has mainly scanners. When I've had Pre√ there was a WTMD, but many times I've seen that line closed and everybody sent to scanners. No predicting what might happen there.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by luckydriver

1. people are talking about the number of beeps a scanner gives. i never noticed any beeps with the scanner, did i just miss them? whats the secret code to how many mean what?

2. i dont mind taking all out of pockets and my coat off (big zipper) and my watch but keeping shoes and belt on will be nice. however from what i read i may actually be scolded for doing all this removing?

4. and why dont they tell you what you have that set off the alarm. thats annoying as heck.
Don't worry about the number of beeps. Random checks are, well random and infrequent, and the agent will inform you if you need one.

The trick with avoiding pre-check extra screening is remove anything on you that would set off the WTMD. So, even if you can wear your shoes, if you have a lot of metal in the last and that sets them off, take them off before you walk through. Same with cell phone, coins, watch, etc. Once you learn what is alarming the WTMD, you will get used to putting them on a tray.

As to an agent scolding you, don't stress over it. They are human. Some are idiots, some are tired, some are ill-trained. Let is roll off of you if you happen upon them.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:05 am

i dont mind going thru metal detector 10 times if it means no <physical pat down>. but yea will remove all from pockets and take coat off. no problem at all. <redacted by moderator>. tell me what the REAL issue is so i can correct it. <redacted by moderator> i'm almost looking forward to my trip in 2 weeks.......

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 23, 2019 at 9:32 am Reason: Charged term and opinion/commentary better left for the Policy Debate forum
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Terminal D/E at PHL has mainly scanners. When I've had Pre√ there was a WTMD, but many times I've seen that line closed and everybody sent to scanners. No predicting what might happen there.
<redacted by moderator>. PreCheck is open at D/E from 3:45 AM to 8 PM. That is my preferred checkpoint at PHL regardless of what terminal I am flying from. I have never seen D/E be all MMW scanners, unless it was past 8 PM.
https://www.phl.org/Pages/passengeri...o_default.aspx

Now, I have occasionally seen them go with the "lets pile everyone past the dogs then give them all PreCheck screening, with WTMD and no item removal from bags, shoes on, etc." <redacted by moderator> over at D/E.

That's rare, and when that happens I just walk over to C because the infrequent flyers get all kinds of confused. C is all PreCheck when it is open (4:15 - 20:00).

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 23, 2019 at 9:45 am Reason: Unnecessary / opinion/commentary
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:42 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Just a gentle reminder that the Trusted Travelers forum is informational.

Members come here in search of practical information and advice about applying for and using the various Trusted Travelers programs; please limit your postings in this thread to seeking and providing factual information and sharing experiences of undergoing random extra screenings when using the TSA PreCheck lanes.

Commentary, opinions and rants about TSA screening procedures belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Future non-informational content will be summarily deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 23, 2019 at 10:27 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:38 pm

Why Is My Wife Getting Extra Patdown?

On all four flights this year my wife has been “randomly” been pulled aside for additional security screening. This can’t be random otherwise she should be playing the lottery.
Any idea why?
We are both United Silver, PreCheck and Global Access
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
The beeps at the scanners for PreCheck are random. Your wife is just that unlucky. Or she's wearing just enough metal to set it off. Bracelets, watches, etc. all add up.

I went through a string of 4 or 5 "randoms" in a row but since then I haven't had it in a good few weeks.

-RM
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:44 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by milemonkey
We are both United Silver, PreCheck and Global Access
Global Entry?

Does she get the TSA Pre checkmark on her boarding pass or is this the random security at the gate?
Could be her name. I know someone who used to have to go through extra security with her maiden name.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milemonkey
....We are both United Silver, PreCheck and Global Access
Since status is not a factor for TSA (other than perhaps a shorter line), this is probably a better question for the folks in Travel Safety/Security

So, will move your query there and however the folks more familiar with TSA screening process can help you

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Details matter here?

What airports?
Is she receiving Pre-Check on her boarding pass?
Is she receiving an "SSSS" designation on her boarding pass?
Does she wear anything metallic which she is not removing?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So, will move your query there and however the folks more familiar with TSA screening process can help you

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Where it has been merged into the relevant thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Details matter here?

What airports? ORD, LAS and PVR
Is she receiving Pre-Check on her boarding pass? YES
Is she receiving an "SSSS" designation on her boarding pass? I don't see anything like that on her boarding pass
Does she wear anything metallic which she is not removing?
Not really. Apple watch. My Tag is way more metallic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.