Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2023, 8:19 pm

My favorite random selection response was when they told me to back up and then come through again.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Weird SFO T1 PreCheck experience

I walked through the metal detector, did not alarm but was sent back through to go through the body scanner.
I asked why.
Apparently if a crew member is randomly selected whilst going through the metal detector a passenger is selected to be put through the body scanner.

How odd is that?

I am told it is so the air crew don't have to empty their pockets etc!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does the "random" WTMD beep work?

It seems that about 30% of the time I get that annoying long beep two seconds after walking through the WTMD. What determines if it goes off? Is it truly random?

It was in the single open lane at PNS yesterday. I got a card to hold saying that I had Precheck, so they opened the metal detector lane for me.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 17, 2024 at 7:37 pm Reason: FT Rule 18: Comment on moderation
Old Mar 11, 2024, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Is it truly random?
Yes, even if it doesn't feel like it is personally with the frequency at which I get it.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
DFW Terminal A, on a weekday last week at approximately 8:00 am: Random extra screening beep followed by a very invasive pat down.

DFW Terminal D, this week, on a weekday at approximately 5:00 pm: Random beep followed by a swab of my cellphone for explosives residue.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 9:17 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by TWA884
DFW Terminal A, on a weekday last week at approximately 8:00 am: Random extra screening beep followed by a very invasive pat down.

DFW Terminal D, this week, on a weekday at approximately 5:00 pm: Random beep followed by a swab of my cellphone for explosives residue.

Recent national intelligence estimates report a high threat level. Could be the cause of these increased incidents. Nothing personal.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Markie
I walked through the metal detector, did not alarm but was sent back through to go through the body scanner.
I asked why.
Apparently if a crew member is randomly selected whilst going through the metal detector a passenger is selected to be put through the body scanner.

How odd is that?

I am told it is so the air crew don't have to empty their pockets etc!
They often do the same if you're traveling with young children. I endured many random screenings that were meant for my kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.