FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:04 pm
747FC

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by luckydriver
ive read though this entire thread and have a few questions since i just got my number today and will be flying in 2 weeks. i exclusively use PHL term D/E and DFW E 18, i think it is. (both have separate lines i'm looking forward to using).. ive been getting the groin check last 3 times and its annoying. then swab alarm and cell and sneaks had explosives on but bag was clean. i'm that good that i dont get bomb residue on my bag but i forgot to clean my sneaks and phones...yea...

1. people are talking about the number of beeps a scanner gives. i never noticed any beeps with the scanner, did i just miss them? whats the secret code to how many mean what?

2. i dont mind taking all out of pockets and my coat off (big zipper) and my watch but keeping shoes and belt on will be nice. however from what i read i may actually be scolded for doing all this removing?

3. i'm hoping the terminals i use only have metal detectors but i never looked close enough to tell. assuming they do, does this mean absent a random check that i no longer have to worry about the groping? or if the metal detector goes off i get sent nextdoor to the commoners line?

4. and why dont they tell you what you have that set off the alarm. thats annoying as heck.
Don't worry about the number of beeps. Random checks are, well random and infrequent, and the agent will inform you if you need one.

The trick with avoiding pre-check extra screening is remove anything on you that would set off the WTMD. So, even if you can wear your shoes, if you have a lot of metal in the last and that sets them off, take them off before you walk through. Same with cell phone, coins, watch, etc. Once you learn what is alarming the WTMD, you will get used to putting them on a tray.

As to an agent scolding you, don't stress over it. They are human. Some are idiots, some are tired, some are ill-trained. Let is roll off of you if you happen upon them.