Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

TSA PreCheck "Random" Extra Screening?

Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BSBD
Neither. The "random" alarm (now called the "quota" alarm) that signals you've been selected for additional screening is a standard TSA policy that has been in place for over a year now. There have been quite a few discussions on FT about this.
The difference is that they now seem to be sending you through the body scanner, if available, rather than just giving you a hand swab. This has happened to me a handful of times. Before this year, I always just got swabbed.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:10 am

You're going to be seeing more of this as a result of the most recent report on the poor performance by the TSA.

In another thread, a FT member mentioned seeing TSA doing document checks in the "sterile" area also.

More harassment of passengers instead of a total redesign and simplification of screening procedures, which is what is really needed.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
The difference is that they now seem to be sending you through the body scanner, if available, rather than just giving you a hand swab. This has happened to me a handful of times. Before this year, I always just got swabbed.
The "difference" is that early last year TSA started installing AIT scanners into PreCheck lanes. The PreCheck scanners went into operation around May or June of 2014, which is when the diversions to AIT started.

The last publicly-available data, from earlier this year, is that there are 68 PreCheck-capable airports with AIT scanners installed. If you are entering one of the airports with operational scanners in PreCheck, you'll be referred to the scanner for additional screening.

As I said, this has been discussed fairly extensively on FT over the past year.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Happened to me in July @ IAD.

As a reminder, if this happens, you need to take all the non-metal out of your pockets before going into the scanner. I had my wallet, pocket comb, pack of mints in my pockets - OK for the metal detector - but they of course set off the scanner, so I ended up with a pat down to complete the TSA Trifecta.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
It has been happening for over a year, and it seems to happen more at certain times of day. Nearly all of mine have been before early morning flights.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by swag
Happened to me in July @ IAD.

As a reminder, if this happens, you need to take all the non-metal out of your pockets before going into the scanner. I had my wallet, pocket comb, pack of mints in my pockets - OK for the metal detector - but they of course set off the scanner, so I ended up with a pat down to complete the TSA Trifecta.
There have been numerous incidents of scanner "false positives" occurring even if you empty your pockets. The false positives mean you'll be getting a patdown.

My last false positives were alerts on bare arm, bare neck, and empty back pocket.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
There have been numerous incidents of scanner "false positives" occurring even if you empty your pockets. The false positives mean you'll be getting a patdown.

My last false positives were alerts on bare arm, bare neck, and empty back pocket.
My trips through the body scanner have been fairly uneventful, with any positives resulting in very cursory patdowns. Definitely nowhere near the level of an opt-out patdown.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
You're going to be seeing more of this as a result of the most recent report on the poor performance by the TSA.

In another thread, a FT member mentioned seeing TSA doing document checks in the "sterile" area also.

More harassment of passengers instead of a total redesign and simplification of screening procedures, which is what is really needed.
After multiple incidents where pax get past security to the plane without a BP, there was only one solution: document inspection in the sterile area in an effort to catch those missed by the many TSOs/LTSOs/STSOs/BDOs standing around the checkpoint jacking their jaws and playing with their cellhphones instead of doing their jobs.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:30 pm

This is why you're best off opting out and getting a Government Grope -- you're going to get one anyway so you might as well just go straight to 3rd base.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
A few days ago, I received the random inspection beep from the WTMD at the DEN main security PreCheck. There is no AIT installed in the lane, so the TSO just swabbed my hands and sent me on my way.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
It happened to me one time a few months ago.. I can't remember what airport.. not SEA. As I recall, the beep occurred randomly to 3 people in a row and I happened to be one of them. The agent even appeared surprised at there being 3 right together right that. Annoying for sure.. but oh well. Went through the body scanner.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:26 pm

I understand they put you in the AIT when you set off the random alarm on the metal detector to save you from getting a pat down. A few seconds of millimeter wave bouncing off instead a friendly pat down isn't a bad deal in reality...
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Clipper_fan
I understand they put you in the AIT when you set off the random alarm on the metal detector to save you from getting a pat down. A few seconds of millimeter wave bouncing off instead a friendly pat down isn't a bad deal in reality...
Unless you are physically incapable of assuming and holding the position in the AIT. Then a random alarm means trying to keep an eye on your bags while waiting for your groper to arrive. You may have experienced 'friendly' patdowns in the past. I have never experienced such a thing at a US airport.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:13 pm

I was at LAS last week and 8 people in a row including me got selected. How is it random if 8 people are selected together?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
In instances where there is someone in the NOS, some airports continue to do a swab instead.

Originally Posted by Clipper_fan
Actually, it is a bad deal, in reality. Even the MMW NOS constitutes a danger to your health, a naked image taken by the government (despite whatever software is in place) and the potential of getting a pat down anyway. No thanks.

Anyway, they aren't "saving" you from anything. The former protocol was to do a hand swab.

Originally Posted by cubs105
I was at LAS last week and 8 people in a row including me got selected. How is it random if 8 people are selected together?
What time of day?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.