Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by TWA884
That depends on what you purchased.
Well, presuming what was in the bag was under the spend limit and under the quantity limit for items that have such -- like cigarettes and alcohol -- If it were me I would then mention that the kiosk asked specifically whether I had any duty free items that exceeded the limits and since I did not I indicated that. That seems to be what Retiredflyboy is asking. I'm curious to know how the fficer responded.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:34 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Well, presuming what was in the bag was under the spend limit and under the quantity limit for items that have such -- like cigarettes and alcohol -- If it were me I would then mention that the kiosk asked specifically whether I had any duty free items that exceeded the limits and since I did not I indicated that. That seems to be what Retiredflyboy is asking. I'm curious to know how the fficer responded.
Do you know for sure that he did not have any edible items in his duty free bag?
Old May 3, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: CBP
As an officer, I have heard "Oh, but it's duty free," countless times as a way to excuse a lack of declaring certain goods.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Do you know for sure that he did not have any edible items in his duty free bag?
No - we have absolutely no idea what was in the bag. Had the bag contained food (of any type) it would absolutely have t be declared at the kiosk.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
A duty free bag is not a diplomatic pouch.
CKDGM and TAHKUCT like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Will said!👍
Old May 4, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by seawolf
I'm not sure a diplomatic pouch would immunize a prohibited import.

E.g. https://www.apnews.com/2e6ef80ed7d565223738a6be7fb35122
Old May 4, 2018, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Note

Reminder!

Folks,

Just a gentle reminder that the Trusted Travelers forum is informational. Members come here to share experiences and offer practical advice about applying for and using the various Trusted Travelers programs in order that they can travel with minimum hassle and maximum benefits.

Please limit your responses here to facts, experiences, data points and practical suggestions.

Opinion and commentary belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Post(s) have been deleted.

Thank your for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 7, 2018, 6:58 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
That depends on what you purchased.
As I mentioned in an earlier one, an agent once told me that duty free alcohol/wine must be declared as food, and told me he was letting me off with a warning this time.

Since then, I've always declared food on my form when entering the US - whether with granola bars or wine - and after the agent asked me what I had declared, waved me through. Never had any issues - happy to get the O on the pass now every time!

Only SFO was a little cumbersome, where I had to send my bag through a scanner after they saw the O on the slip.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I went to my local drug store (part of a large chain) today and almost fell down when I saw their stock of Kinder Joy eggs, each with a "surpise toy inside." Haven't they read Flyertalk and discovered that these are illegal in the US? Or have the rules changed?
Old May 8, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by 747FC
I went to my local drug store (part of a large chain) today and almost fell down when I saw their stock of Kinder Joy eggs, each with a "surpise toy inside." Haven't they read Flyertalk and discovered that these are illegal in the US? Or have the rules changed?
They have been in the US since last November. The originals were called Kinder Surprise. These new ones, Kinder Joy, have been redesigned to be compliant with US regs. A kinder, gentler, Kinder. https://www.today.com/food/kinder-jo...ing-us-t118667
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:30 am

Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

This thread is about Global Entry kiosk declarations and food questions, not NEXUS consoles used to enter Canada.

Several posts have been relocated to the The NEXUS Information Thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by maninblack
As an officer, I have heard "Oh, but it's duty free," countless times as a way to excuse a lack of declaring certain goods.
since food is so generic, I am always confused. Everytime I listed things like mints, gum, protein bar, chocolate. The agents say that’s allowed and not what they mean for declaration. So it’s confusing now that food really means anything from a tea bag to mints. That would mean that basically every single traveler coming through has some sort of food item in their bag.

Should we still be checking food for things like mints and life savers? Also how does Mobile Passport handle the yes to food question. Does it also indicate an O or does it simply not process and send you to the kiosk instead?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

since food is so generic, I am always confused. Everytime I listed things like mints, gum, protein bar, chocolate. The agents say that’s allowed and not what they mean for declaration. So it’s confusing now that food really means anything from a tea bag to mints. That would mean that basically every single traveler coming through has some sort of food item in their bag.

Should we still be checking food for things like mints and life savers? Also how does Mobile Passport handle the yes to food question. Does it also indicate an O or does it simply not process and send you to the kiosk instead?
If chocolate & such is not what they mean then they had better change the question to what it was a while back (asking about meat, dairy & fresh fruit) before I change how I answer. It's quite easy for them to ask me what I have and decide that I over-declared. Under-declaring has some nasty repercussions if ne encounters a CBP whose interpretation of the rules is different. That's why I go for the lowest common denominator. If you are supposed to eat/consume it, it is food and I declare it. That hasn't gotten me into any trouble yet.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

Mobile passport has essentially the same question.

The agents who say gum, mints, etc. are allowed are being misleading - it is correct that they are allowed, but that doesn't mean you don't have to declare them. As the poster above noted, wine is allowed (in certain quantities duty free) but failing to declare it evidently might lead to a warning.

CBP apparently needs to train their staff better - too many of these "you didn't need to declare that" responses. Fortunately, it's been a while since I confronted one of those - mostly just a "thanks, that's fine" or "thanks - next".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.