Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by chollie

I could be wrong, but I don't think the kiosk question was originally quite that specific about food. If it has changed, it is probably because of folks like me who took no chances, only to get told, rather snippily, "'This? This isn't food. Why are you wasting my time?" I've been honest, I declared things with GE that I never would have declared prior to GE, 'out of an abundance of caution.'
The kiosk question has been more permissive of food than the paper declaration ever since I got GE (about 3 years now).
Old Feb 15, 2012, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mre5765
The kiosk question has been more permissive of food than the paper declaration ever since I got GE (about 3 years now).
That might explain the impatience of CBP officers at LAX on two occasions there when I declared chocolates I was bringing back. However, neither the CBP officers at LAX or any other airport where I declared chocolates (allowed) at GE ever pointed out that according to the kiosk, they were allowed (and I obviously didn't read the kiosk closely enough).
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by N1120A
The kiosk notes the specific categories they want declared (some of which may well be admissible, and just need to be inspected). It notes "fluid milk" instead of plain "dairy" and doesn't have a generic "food".

Its not just CPSC. There is also a very old food safety law that is on the books that also is used. Its ridiculous, but they are very serious about Kinder Eggs. Don't bring them.
Another example is alcohol filled chocolates, like the brandy filled ones common in Germany.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Another example is alcohol filled chocolates, like the brandy filled ones common in Germany.
Those aren't prohibited in the States, just regulated like alcohol. I'm looking at a box of chocolate liqueur cherries from Trader Joe's as we speak.

Would the correct course of action be to declare those as alcohol?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Those aren't prohibited in the States, just regulated like alcohol. I'm looking at a box of chocolate liqueur cherries from Trader Joe's as we speak.

I can't remember - do you have to declare all alcohol, or just over a certain amount?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by chollie
I can't remember - do you have to declare all alcohol, or just over a certain amount?
Well, MSPeconomist has me concerned that any amount would need to be declared due to it being a specially-regulated food product, one that also happens to be alcoholic.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak

Liquor-filled chocolates are on the prohibited items list:

http://london.usembassy.gov/ukcustom.html#prohibit

The fact that you can buy something in the US doesn't mean you can personally import it. For example, plenty of plants and food can be brought in by certified importers but not individuals.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
As noted, the GlobalEntry kiosk declaration system DOES NOT ASK ABOUT "FOOD" GENERALLY, unlike the paper customs declaration which uses the term "food."

Instead, the kiosk asks about specific types of food that must be declared, such as fruits, vegetables, etc. This was a fairly recent change (within the last couple of years) and acknowledges that most GlobalEntry members are VERY aware of what must be declared and what does not need to be declared. Chocolates, candies, cookies, most hard/pasteurized cheeses, and most dry goods would not be of interest to the CBP officers, and so GlobalEntry members in good standing are exempt from declaring them.

It is important to keep in mind that if the kiosks are nonfunctional and you need to fill out a paper declaration, the paper form DOES ask about "food" generally, so you MUST check "YES" if you are carrying ANYTHING that can be consumed as food, even if you know that it is permitted and would not need to be declared on the kiosks if they were working.

If you do not declare properly you risk huge fines, loss of Trusted Traveler status, confiscation of items, and potential flags on your record that could result in continual referral to secondary searches for years afterwards.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by ESpen36

If you do not declare properly you risk huge fines, loss of Trusted Traveler status, confiscation of items, and potential flags on your record that could result in continual referral to secondary searches for years afterwards.
Really? can you please prove this with actual factual events (documented cases) and not just speculation ?

--J
Old Feb 19, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jcf27
Really? can you please prove this with actual factual events (documented cases) and not just speculation?
Those with the authority to revoke your status or flag your name (CBP and its officers) have warned members that they will face such consequences for violating the rules of the program. I doubt that CBP was speculating.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jcf27
Really? can you please prove this with actual factual events (documented cases) and not just speculation ?

--J

The US Customs and Border Protection officer who completed my interview made me aware of the consequences in no uncertain terms, using similar words to what I included in my post. It is not speculation. I tend to think that CBP officers are pretty good at their jobs, and are pretty familiar with the rules--it is their job to be, after all.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by 14940674
Those with the authority to revoke your status or flag your name (CBP and its officers) have warned members that they will face such consequences for violating the rules of the program. I doubt that CBP was speculating.
Yes, CBP has that authority. It's their game. However, not playing by their rules will affect the pax whether is on the program or not.

--J
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Does anyone have a listing/link for the GE Kiosk questions?

Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere. I have searched without success.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
If you mean the questions on the physical kiosk, it's the same questions they ask you on the paper Declaration Form 6059B:
1) Do you have plants, seeds, insects, etc.;
2) Have you been near a farm or livestock;
3) Do you have more than $10,000 USD in cash/bonds;
4) Do you have merchandise intended for resale.

There are no other questions.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
If you mean the questions on the physical kiosk, it's the same questions they ask you on the paper Declaration Form 6059B:
1) Do you have plants, seeds, insects, etc.;
2) Have you been near a farm or livestock;
3) Do you have more than $10,000 USD in cash/bonds;
4) Do you have merchandise intended for resale.

There are no other questions.
I am trying to get my hands on the questions. However, it my understanding that the questions on the kiosk are not exactly the same as the paper declaration.

FB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.