Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 14, 19, 4:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: drewguy
Wiki Link
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 24, 18, 10:01 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Originally Posted by Majuki View Post
I've often wondered how this works with declarations at JFK now. I assume it's like the other terminals where the USCBP officer collects your GE receipt before exiting to the baggage hall. Perhaps filling out the blue paper form is now necessary since you otherwise wouldn't have a receipt since the officer collects them right after the kiosks.
Please discuss this topic in the following thread:
Airports with Unified Immigration/Customs Screening
Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 24, 18, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
He was professional and nice, and acknowledged it was fine for me to bring a carton back but told me to declare it next time. I'm very confused by this. Should I have clicked something else or was the agent misinformed?
Did you ask?

What's next -
"how much cash do you have"?
"$100"
"You should have declared that so we can determine whether you're over the $10,000 limit"?

I agree that you seem to have followed the instructions, and CBP wouldn't have a basis to discipline you for not declaring cigarettes within the allowance.
Old Apr 26, 18, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Did you ask?

What's next -
"how much cash do you have"?
"$100"
"You should have declared that so we can determine whether you're over the $10,000 limit"?

I agree that you seem to have followed the instructions, and CBP wouldn't have a basis to discipline you for not declaring cigarettes within the allowance.
If he had declared the carton the agent would likely have sclded him for declaring things that don't need to be declared (see the numerous "chocolate as food" posts here -- opposite situation as in that case you always want to declare).
Old Apr 26, 18, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
If he had declared the carton the agent would likely have sclded him for declaring things that don't need to be declared (see the numerous "chocolate as food" posts here -- opposite situation as in that case you always want to declare).
I would declare all food and cigarettes.
Not all food and not all cigarettes are allowed (and cigarettes may still be taxable). Currency is currency, not ambiguity(* there are restrictions - must declare gold, is 10k per group not 10k per person)

Cbp explcitily says to declare all food, even if it's generally admissable like cookies

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1310/kw/
Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/kw/
You must declare all food products. Failure to declare food products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties.

The following are generally admissible:
- Candy and chocolate
Flavored cigarettes not allowed. May be taxable
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...20excise%20tax
Bidis - essentially flavored cigarettes - are not generally permitted entry. For more information see the Tobacco Control Act.

In addition, cigarettes may be subject to Federalexcise tax.

​​​​
Old May 3, 18, 8:49 am

Programs: United Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Lufhtansa Miles and More, British Airways Executive Club.
Global Entry Declarations

I recently entered the U.S. through EWR using Global Entry. I answered NO to all of the questions on the kiosk. After handing my white ticket to the Customs Officer, he pointed to the duty free bag I was holding. He said "what's that." I replied that it was my duty free purchases that totaled less than $800. He told me that it had to be declared regardless. Is this true?
Old May 3, 18, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Retiredflyboy View Post
I recently entered the U.S. through EWR using Global Entry. I answered NO to all of the questions on the kiosk. After handing my white ticket to the Customs Officer, he pointed to the duty free bag I was holding. He said "what's that." I replied that it was my duty free purchases that totaled less than $800. He told me that it had to be declared regardless. Is this true?
That depends on what you purchased.
Old May 3, 18, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Well, presuming what was in the bag was under the spend limit and under the quantity limit for items that have such -- like cigarettes and alcohol -- If it were me I would then mention that the kiosk asked specifically whether I had any duty free items that exceeded the limits and since I did not I indicated that. That seems to be what Retiredflyboy is asking. I'm curious to know how the fficer responded.
Old May 3, 18, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Well, presuming what was in the bag was under the spend limit and under the quantity limit for items that have such -- like cigarettes and alcohol -- If it were me I would then mention that the kiosk asked specifically whether I had any duty free items that exceeded the limits and since I did not I indicated that. That seems to be what Retiredflyboy is asking. I'm curious to know how the fficer responded.
Do you know for sure that he did not have any edible items in his duty free bag?
Old May 3, 18, 9:39 am

Programs: CBP
As an officer, I have heard "Oh, but it's duty free," countless times as a way to excuse a lack of declaring certain goods.
Old May 3, 18, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you know for sure that he did not have any edible items in his duty free bag?
No - we have absolutely no idea what was in the bag. Had the bag contained food (of any type) it would absolutely have t be declared at the kiosk.
Old May 3, 18, 3:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Hyatt Glob, SPG LTP
A duty free bag is not a diplomatic pouch.
CKDGM and TAHKUCT like this.
Old May 3, 18, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Will said!👍
Old May 4, 18, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
I'm not sure a diplomatic pouch would immunize a prohibited import.

E.g. https://www.apnews.com/2e6ef80ed7d565223738a6be7fb35122
Old May 4, 18, 1:12 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Note

Reminder!

Folks,

Just a gentle reminder that the Trusted Travelers forum is informational. Members come here to share experiences and offer practical advice about applying for and using the various Trusted Travelers programs in order that they can travel with minimum hassle and maximum benefits.

Please limit your responses here to facts, experiences, data points and practical suggestions.

Opinion and commentary belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Post(s) have been deleted.

Thank your for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 7, 18, 6:58 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat75, Hilton Gold, PP, Hertz PC
As I mentioned in an earlier one, an agent once told me that duty free alcohol/wine must be declared as food, and told me he was letting me off with a warning this time.

Since then, I've always declared food on my form when entering the US - whether with granola bars or wine - and after the agent asked me what I had declared, waved me through. Never had any issues - happy to get the O on the pass now every time!

Only SFO was a little cumbersome, where I had to send my bag through a scanner after they saw the O on the slip.

Search this Thread