Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:17 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Came back from Brussels today with Belgian chocolate. At JFK, answered yes to food. Guy at the exit sent me to agriculture, almost apologetically.

Guy at agriculture very nice, said I was right to declare, and sent me on my way. Total additional time? About 60 seconds.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I brought chocolate (from Switzerland) with me through pre-clearance at YYZ. Checked yes to food, officer at the booth nearest the machine looked at the slip, asked for my passport/bp and what I had. I offered to show him, he said I trust you since you voluntarily declared it, stamped my bp and sent me on my way. Total extra time was probably somewhere between 20-30 seconds.

Is this really such a big deal?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yes. Think about the # of people impacted daily.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I brought chocolate (from Switzerland) with me through pre-clearance at YYZ. Checked yes to food, officer at the booth nearest the machine looked at the slip, asked for my passport/bp and what I had. I offered to show him, he said I trust you since you voluntarily declared it, stamped my bp and sent me on my way. Total extra time was probably somewhere between 20-30 seconds.

First, I don't think anyone here has said it's a BIG deal. Different airports/agents are handling it differently. If you are at an airport where the process is to send you to an agricultural station, there's no expedited handling there for GE members. Depending on what planes have landed before you and where they are coming from, you can get delayed 15-20 minutes (I was) waiting at the ag station to get your bags xrayed.

Second, I don't think anyone here wants to get on the wrong side of the law, but it is disconcerting to declare chocolates and have a CBP agent ask you why you are wasting his time. I don't make the rules, his HQ does, I'm just trying to comply.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;

Last time I answered 'yes' to the food question due to bringing in Gouda cheese from the Netherlands at DTW, I got sent to Agriculture, who ran ALL my luggage (carry on & backpack included), adding another 10+ minutes to the process, which was totally unnecessary.

So yes, to me this question is a big deal.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
It's really a shame that they can't update the questions on the kiosk to be more relevant to what they do/do not care about. They could even have a little "?" to get more help on the food question. Or have a second page of questions If you say you have food to offer more granular options. They can always have an option that says "other/not sure".
That would make too much sense - indeed, they previously had a question that was already more granular. But someone must have decided it wasn't working.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Don't ever, ever, ever travel to Aus/NZ if your CBP process annoys you.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Yes it can be a big deal....early trip this year coming back to MIA. Baggage control screening took 15-20 minutes with 2 people ahead of me. Bringing back allowed food items.

The baggage control facility at MIA had queue barriers that are about 40-50 feet in length. Imagine coming in during peak times with more than a dozen or more people ahead of you waiting for baggage control. Easily take an hour or more to clear in those scenarios. So much for GE.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by seawolf
Yes it can be a big deal....early trip this year coming back to MIA. Baggage control screening took 15-20 minutes with 2 people ahead of me. Bringing back allowed food items.

The baggage control facility at MIA had queue barriers that are about 40-50 feet in length. Imagine coming in during peak times with more than a dozen or more people ahead of you waiting for baggage control. Easily take an hour or more to clear in those scenarios. So much for GE.
+1000

Seems to me that if the regular process is to send you to ag screening for any food item (including cookies, candy, etc.), there should be an expedited lane/cut in line process for GE holders like there is for customs.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
There is no chocolate in the world that would make me line up for secondary.
I did bring back a tiny bottle of 40 year old balsamic vinegar from Italy (allowed) that I was happy to declare, and it fortunately did not take much time, but it would have to be some incredible chocolate to be worth the gamble on the 20 seconds vs. 20 minutes secondary. More likely I just don't bring the food.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:46 pm

When I entered ORD in the beginning of the month, I had a lot of luggage and had some mustard and macarons with me. I answered yes to the food question and was sent to secondary. I sent my bags through the X-ray and that was that. The ag agent was maybe more worried with the man who came back from Asia with many boxes of pineapple cakes.

I came back into IAH a few weeks later from IST and checked the yes box. After telling the CBP agent that I had gummies, he told me that I didn't need to declare that and sent me off. But thinking about it now, many gummy candies have gelatin, which comes from animals. Would that then be a meat product?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:29 am
Original Member

GE kiosks have changed the question about food

That's exactly what is causing the confusion. At some stations they tell you after the fact you didn't need to declare despite it being food (item you ingest). Seems like if they are going to keep the good question they should make allow GE head of the line privilege at baggage control.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
That's exactly what is causing the confusion. At some stations they tell you after the fact you didn't need to declare despite it being food (item you ingest). Seems like if they are going to keep the good question they should make allow GE head of the line privilege at baggage control.
I really don't care what they tell me after the fact I've declared it. If that officer shoes me away with this message, that's great for them. I'm not taking chances at having my TT privileges away given the broad nature of the question now and getting someone who feels the opposite way if I haven't declared the food item and I get a random. Better to be asked why I declared it then asked why I didn't.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:24 am
Original Member

Like I said, if they are going to keep the food question they should allow GE head of the line privilege at baggage control.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Like I said, if they are going to keep the food question they should allow GE head of the line privilege at baggage control.
Agree, although the places I've used GE there's a separate line for GE at the baggage/customs check. They should have this everywhere if they don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.