Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The last two times I declared crisps, the baggage control line wait was greater than 10-15 minutes (JFK and MIA). Officers at both stations tell me next time to declare no unless it is meat, fruits, vegetables.
Old May 3, 2014, 1:24 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Came back from Amsterdam into MSP with some chocolates earlier this week. Answered yes, as I'm definitely of the mindset of better safe than sorry.

Leaving the Immigration area, the guy asked what I was declaring. Said chocolate, and he chastised me for saying yes. "If you read the question correctly, you would've realized you didn't need to declare chocolate. It's always been fine."

I just shrugged and headed on my way. Exiting customs, I asked the other officer if I didn't have to declare it, and he said I was 100% right to, as I could consume it. Laughed when I said he should tell his coworker that!

Oh well.
Old May 3, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPGabe
Came back from Amsterdam into MSP with some chocolates earlier this week. Answered yes, as I'm definitely of the mindset of better safe than sorry.

Leaving the Immigration area, the guy asked what I was declaring. Said chocolate, and he chastised me for saying yes. "If you read the question correctly, you would've realized you didn't need to declare chocolate. It's always been fine."

I just shrugged and headed on my way. Exiting customs, I asked the other officer if I didn't have to declare it, and he said I was 100% right to, as I could consume it. Laughed when I said he should tell his coworker that!

Oh well.

The second officer was right. The first officer needs to familiarize himself with the change in the kiosk questions.

Better safe than sorry.
Old May 4, 2014, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by MSPGabe

Oh well.
As is the case with most employees of travel related organizations, CBP employees are, on the whole, ignorant of their agency's own rules.

As is the case with most employers in travel related organizations, the CBP is content to not train its employees.
Old May 5, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ESpen36
The second officer was right. The first officer needs to familiarize himself with the change in the kiosk questions.

Better safe than sorry.
Really - I suppose the snippy response of "That used to be true, but they changed the question a few months ago" just creates more risk of CBP unpleasantness.
Old May 6, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Better safe than sorry.
I agree. Would rather be chastised by a customs officer for being overly cautious then having the same happen as they tear up my Nexus card for not declaring items.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:16 pm
Original Member

GE kiosks have changed the question about food

YMMV. I had agents in JFK and MIA tell me not to declare chocolates, potato chips. Both times cost me in excess of 15 minutes waiting for secondary processing.
Old May 7, 2014, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
YMMV. I had agents in JFK and MIA tell me not to declare chocolates, potato chips. Both times cost me in excess of 15 minutes waiting for secondary processing.
15 minutes waiting v. losing GE. I'll wait (although my additional wait time has totaled about 15 seconds at IAD and ATL when answering the food question "yes").
Old May 7, 2014, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
15 minutes waiting v. losing GE. I'll wait (although my additional wait time has totaled about 15 seconds at IAD and ATL when answering the food question "yes").
My thoughts as well initially but probably overkill given two agents said not to declare and also website implying food in this context is "agricultural products."

http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/faqs

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global Entry kiosk?

Yes. You must declare all agricultural products that you bring into the U.S. Failure to declare agricultural products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties. For additional information, click here.
Which is a different answer for the general public (https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...1272/kw/FOOD):
What are the general foods that can enter the United States?

Even if you believe a food item is able to enter the United States you must declare to the officer that you are bringing food back. Failure to declare food products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties. When in doubt keep it out.
Seems to suggest the general public is to declare ALL food while GE kiosk is to declare agricultural products.

Last edited by seawolf; May 7, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Old May 7, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The real problem is that neither the Blue Form, nor the GE kiosk, mirror what the law actually is. They are asking questions beyond what the law actually requires. If you actually read the regulations on this stuff, the duty to declare focuses almost exclusively on fresh agricultural products like fluid milk, meat, fruits and vegetables. The problem is that they are asking something that doesn't actually comply with what the law says - it goes beyond it and makes it far too nebulous.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Actually, for my banana, I was going by "Fruits and vegetables grown in Canada are generally admissible, if they have labels identifying them as products of Canada. Fruits and vegetables merely purchased in Canada are not necessarily admissible, i.e. citrus or tropical fruits such as mangos, which clearly were not grown in Canada because it does not have a climate that supports those crops. " <https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use>

IF I was crossing at the NEXUS kiosk, or IF they had asked me about food/fruit, I actually would have mentioned the peel. I'm just that much of a compliance nut.
Old May 18, 2014, 4:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by N1120A
The real problem is that neither the Blue Form, nor the GE kiosk, mirror what the law actually is. They are asking questions beyond what the law actually requires. If you actually read the regulations on this stuff, the duty to declare focuses almost exclusively on fresh agricultural products like fluid milk, meat, fruits and vegetables. The problem is that they are asking something that doesn't actually comply with what the law says - it goes beyond it and makes it far too nebulous.
Are you referring to 8 CFR 235.12 (g) (2) (iii)?

(g) Arrival procedures. In order to utilize the Global Entry program upon arrival in the United States, each participant must:
(1) Use the Global Entry kiosk and follow the on-screen instructions;
(2) Declare all articles being brought into the United States pursuant to 19 CFR 148.11. A Global Entry participant will be redirected to the nearest open passport control primary inspection station if the participant declares any of the following:
(i) Commercial merchandise or commercial samples, or items that exceed the applicable personal exemption amount;
(ii) More than $10,000 in currency or other monetary instruments (checks, money orders, etc.), or foreign equivalent in any form; or
(iii) Restricted/prohibited goods, such as agricultural products, firearms, mace, pepper spray, endangered animals, birds, controlled substances, fireworks, Cuban goods, and plants.
Not all “food” are restricted/prohibited. To your point, the kiosk is asking beyond what is required.
Old May 18, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Are you referring to 8 CFR 235.12 (g) (2) (iii)?

Not all “food” are restricted/prohibited. To your point, the kiosk is asking beyond what is required.
Well, I am not an attorney, but the following appears to allow any CPB officer or machine to require declaration of anything:

19 CFR 148.11 states that "All articles brought into the United States by any individual must be declared to a CBP officer at the port of first arrival in the United States, on a conveyance en route to the United States on which a CBP officer is assigned for that purpose, or at a preclearance office in a foreign country where a United States CBP officer is stationed for that purpose."

Also, I could not find a definition of "Agricultural Products" in the above CFR, but in another section (7 CFR 4284.902; perhaps not relevant, but gives some basis to what the term may mean): "Agricultural food products" is define as "...raw, cooked, or processed edible substance, beverage, or ingredient intended for human consumption..."
Old May 18, 2014, 8:34 pm
Original Member

GE kiosks have changed the question about food

Agree that technically "all articles" are to be declared but I think that requirement is "waived" since doing that at a machine vs. a person would be impossible (or at least defeats the purpose of saving time, and by extension the entire point of GE).

What's interesting is that the "food" question on the kiosk is tied to 8 CFR 235.12 (g) (2) (iii) and that is referring to restricted/prohibited goods. Unless you failed to declare restricted/prohibited goods, I don't see how CBP can revoke GE for not answering Yes to the "food" question if all you have are permitted items such as chocolates and sweets etc. CBP agents in MIA and JFK telling me to not declare these non-agricultural "food" items seems to be correct.
Old May 18, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
BP agents in MIA and JFK telling me to not declare these non-agricultural "food" items seems to be correct.
Good luck with that strategy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.