Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by techie
How is it more efficient to ask people to fly over there (and be in the cattle queue initially) to complete the process and needing to compete with the locals for the same pool of interview slots? This US embassy interview location is a good move and I hope that its success will lead to a permanent place being open.
Presumably you want GE because you're regularly entering the US. If you're only getting GE to use it once then there's little benefit for the CBP, if you're using it many times then that one additional entry without GE is of minimal impact in the grand scheme of things - both to you, and the CBP.

Other similar programs (HKG, uk, singapore) work in the same way. Registration/interviewing happens in country, so you have to enter normally at least once before you can use it.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
How is it more efficient to ask people to fly over there (and be in the cattle queue initially) to complete the process and needing to compete with the locals for the same pool of interview slots? This US embassy interview location is a good move and I hope that its success will lead to a permanent place being open.
The cost of running an operation in London will be high. As televisor correctly states if you're over in the US regularly enough to take advantage of GE it shouldn't be that onerous to visit a site there.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by televisor
Presumably you want GE because you're regularly entering the US. If you're only getting GE to use it once then there's little benefit for the CBP, if you're using it many times then that one additional entry without GE is of minimal impact in the grand scheme of things - both to you, and the CBP.
Originally Posted by golfmad
The cost of running an operation in London will be high. As televisor correctly states if you're over in the US regularly enough to take advantage of GE it shouldn't be that onerous to visit a site there.
I do not want to keep arguing over and over, but challenges arise when your destination is not the city that has a CBP office and one is merely connecting through it. It is then you are playing games with flight times, choosing your TATL gateway accordingly, etc. When I did my GE interview in Miami, it didn't look like the officer did anything special beyond finger prints and some tapping and clicking on the computer. Sounds like something that can easily be accommodated in a room at an embassy. Anyway, there is talk of a pre-clearance at LHR, so there will be less need for an embassy-based CBP office if so.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
I do not want to keep arguing over and over, but challenges arise when your destination is not the city that has a CBP office and one is merely connecting through it. It is then you are playing games with flight times, choosing your TATL gateway accordingly, etc. When I did my GE interview in Miami, it didn't look like the officer did anything special beyond finger prints and some tapping and clicking on the computer. Sounds like something that can easily be accommodated in a room at an embassy. Anyway, there is talk of a pre-clearance at LHR, so there will be less need for an embassy-based CBP office if so.
Similar challenges arise for US citizens who don't live near the major airports. There are probably more of those than there are Brits, and the CBP exists primarily for the benefit of US citizens, so go figure...

I don't disagree it's a pain, but alas this is the CBP we're talking about. These are the kinds of thing you just have to deal with if you want to travel to the US.

Also, you should be aware that the interview officers are not just randomly clicking on a machine, but are reviewing possible criminal records, travel histories, and other information - all of which can factor into a decision on allowing you into GE. Yes it can be done anywhere, but I'm close to 100% sure CBP want to have it done by qualified CBP personnel (or at least by someone at DHS). Finding locations isn't difficult, the costs of staffing and organisation are - which is exactly why they stick to having offices at border locations. (I'm sure they'd be happy to give you new locations if you're willing to pay $1000 per 5 years, but then no-one would use the program, making it useless to CBP.)

(I'm not going to lie: I do find the whole setup rather ridiculous and unnecessary, there shouldn't be a need for these trusted traveller programs. But within the confines of such programs existing their processes are quite logical.)
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I do not want to keep arguing over and over
Then don't
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
To finish off

UKBA Code Request: 11th March
UKBA Code Recieved: 13th March
GOES Application: 13th March
Conditional Approval: 21st March
Interview Booked (YYZ): 2nd August
Approved: 2nd August by the time I got back in the car
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
UKBA Code Request: 29th July
UKBA Code Recieved: 31st July
GOES Application: 31st July
Conditional Approval: 8th August
Interview Booked (London): 18th October
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Global Entry London Interview Availability?

I applied and paid today on GOES for US Global Entry. I would prefer to have an interview in London, but couldn't see any reference to this option which I assume may happen if and after I pass this application process. I know its only a short-window for London interviews, so wondering if anyone here has any up-to-date understanding of availability or is it likely to be all booked-out and I should think about in US?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: BA GGL
My other half booked an interview in London last week for mid October and it looked like that while the first few days are filling up there was still plenty of availability left on each day.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Beaulieu
My other half booked an interview in London last week for mid October and it looked like that while the first few days are filling up there was still plenty of availability left on each day.
Sounds good, many thanks. Assuming I pass the first hurdle, I hope I get a slot.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:30 am

Lots of availability towards end of November (wide open) with availability drop of the closer to October 11th (first available) you get.

There are 32 slots each day, three days a week (Tues-Thurs)

The option for London isn't mentioned during application stage, but can be chosen once provisional acceptance/interview invite is granted.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite
Lots of availability towards end of November (wide open) with availability drop of the closer to October 11th (first available) you get.

There are 32 slots each day, three days a week (Tues-Thurs)

The option for London isn't mentioned during application stage, but can be chosen once provisional acceptance/interview invite is granted.

Hope this helps.
That's great, many thanks. I was concerned about not seeing a London option during process. Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Here's a strange question... I'm a German citizen but I live in the UK and rarely go back to Germany... The procedure requires me to have an interview with the German Federal Police before I apply for GE. The suggestion is to do it at one of five German airports (FRA, MUC, HAM, TXL, DUS). Does anyone know if there any way of doing this vetting without going to Germany? Maybe at the German Consulate or something?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by pianoamit
Here's a strange question... I'm a German citizen but I live in the UK and rarely go back to Germany... The procedure requires me to have an interview with the German Federal Police before I apply for GE. The suggestion is to do it at one of five German airports (FRA, MUC, HAM, TXL, DUS). Does anyone know if there any way of doing this vetting without going to Germany? Maybe at the German Consulate or something?
No harm in contacting the embassy/consulate and/or CBP to ask. However, the process was probably established that way for one reason or another, so be cautiously optimistic but prepare for disappointment.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 3:30 am

Just a heads up -

It looks like all the Original London Tuesday through Thursday slots are now filled & Friday slots from early October have been released, some days wide open with all slots available. Might be worth taking a look if you were pushed into Novrmber & rescheduling. Just moved mine 10 days earlier & wife's by 6 weeks to put us on the same day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.