Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kilarney
Bingo.
You do realize that is the same sort of thing I stated even before you had read my post about this?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:55 am

GA Rejection

I applied in June, 2016 in Seattle for Global Entry, and was denied.

Turns out, they rejected my application because I had visited North Korea as a tourist in 2007. I wrote to the ombudsman and explained that the trip had absolutely nothing to do with any political sympathies, but rather I went with a friend because we are both history buffs, and the trip was just out of curiosity.

I finally received an email in March, 2018 (nine months later!) saying that my application was approved, and received my Global Entry card in the mail a few weeks later.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
You do realize that is the same sort of thing I stated even before you had read my post about this?
I just wanted to be clear that there is no known real-world example of declaring noodles leading to GE revocation despite your suggestion that declaring noodles may indeed lead to a revocation of GE for having noodles. I think the real-world data is important to contextualize the assertion.

Again, thanks for the spirited discussion. Best to move on, though, since I am sure at this point we are flogging a dead horse.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:49 pm
Suspended

...Best to move on, though, since I am sure at this point we are flogging a dead horse.
@:-)

The answer will continue to morph, shift, metamorphose and mysteriously evolve if you continue.

I just wanted to be clear that there is no known real-world example of declaring noodles leading to GE revocation despite your suggestion that declaring noodles may indeed lead to a revocation of GE for having noodles. I think the real-world data is important to contextualize the assertion.
Indeed-- most here do.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Best to move on, though, since I am sure at this point we are flogging a dead horse.
My suggestion was not as you claim. Rather it was that a declaration of a good that gets confiscated at customs does not immunize the declaring passenger from having GE membership denied/revoked for the declared good being confiscated. It would apply to noodles and otherwise, as it really has.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
@:-)

The answer will continue to morph, shift, metamorphose and mysteriously evolve if you continue.
Not at all.

Better to declare that dead horse than not, but the declaration itself won’t immunize a person from having GE membership denied/revoked over a declared good that gets confiscated. Just the practical facts of how it has gone before when dealing with CBP, even as such instances are rare.

Drug traffickers using packaged food — even packaged noodles — to get even unwitting couriers to transport illegal substances in food/food packages does take place — and it gets stopped by law enforcement from time to time.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 2, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:39 pm
Suspended

To wit:

Drug traffickers using packaged food — even packaged noodles — to get even unwitting couriers to transport illegal substances in food/food packages does take place — and it gets stopped by law enforcement from time to time.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:47 pm
Suspended

To wit:
Are you suggesting that illegal drug trafficking via declared food/food packaging transported by unwitting couriers doesn’t happen and cause customs violations?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:51 pm

Somehow an answer about a simple pack of instant noodles, when it's veracity was challenged, became an answer about an international noodle drug smuggling operation in order to give it an iota of credibility.

Just when I thought I had seen it all...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:53 pm

Are you suggesting that illegal drug trafficking via declared food/food packaging transported by unwitting couriers doesn’t happen and cause customs violations?
I'm suggesting that the fact pattern you provided an answer to had absolutely nothing to do with that. This is why, in part, your answer was incorrect.

Again, if you have evidence that anyone lost GE after declaring a simple package of noodles, I am all ears.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
The salient point to me personally is GE is actually a very fragil benefit. It would appear that what seems like the slightest transgression will or can lead to to denial or revocation of GE. Worrisome at some level as lacking specifics it would appear maybe a bit arbitrary but it is what it is.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:46 pm
Suspended

The salient point in this instance is that GE denial/revocation seems to be a coincidental outcome to having already been placed on an SSSS-producing blacklist. I seriously doubt that declared, ordinary noodles being confiscated would result in being placed on an SSSS-producing blacklist and GE denial/revocation when a person was not subjected to a filed CBP report for a rather serious violation or suspicion of sorts.

I'm suggesting that the fact pattern you provided an answer to had absolutely nothing to do with that. This is why, in part, your answer was incorrect.

Again, if you have evidence that anyone lost GE after declaring a simple package of noodles, I am all ears.
There wasn’t anything materially incorrect in what I’ve posted in this thread. And as I have indicated multiple times ever since the noodle confiscation came up in this thread, the indicated blacklisting resulting in long periods of SSSS flagging is almost certainly not the result of ordinary noodles being confiscated and is almost certainly in need of addressing before GE membership gets acquired/reacquired/reinstated.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 2, 2017 at 6:32 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:25 pm

Then we agree that declaring noodles that are actually what they appear to be (noodles) will not lead to revocation of GE benefits - and to suggest otherwise would have no factual basis.

Whew! We got you there!

Last edited by kilarney; Nov 2, 2017 at 6:31 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Then we agree that declaring noodles that are actually what they appear to be (noodles) will not lead to revocation of GE benefits - and to suggest otherwise would have no factual basis.
Most commonly it doesn’t lead to revocation/denial of GE benefits. To suggest otherwise would be speculative and in denial of how CBP does function in fact.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
deleted by mod
Just an update on the noodles, I had declared to the officer that I had noodles at the passport counter so they searched my bag for the noodles and they found "chicken" in the ingredient list(the flavoring) so they took it away. The noodles had no drugs of any kind, I was bringing it back for my son since it was his favorite in Asia.

Anyways, I was approved for GE just this morning so I guess as long as you declare it, it is not considered a "customs violation".

Last edited by squeakr; Nov 2, 2017 at 10:58 pm Reason: quote of snark
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Anyways, I was approved for GE just this morning so I guess as long as you declare it, it is not considered a "customs violation".
That is generally* the way things wrk.

*For packages of noodles and other foods that are in fact unadulterated and remain as indicated on their original packaging.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.