Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: Processing Timelines for 1st Time GE Applications by US Citizens and LPR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Archived: Processing Timelines for 1st Time GE Applications by US Citizens and LPR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I just signed up for GE since I am traveling a lot now and a border agent suggested it when I asked him why my receipt is always X'ed when entering.

I see that the new user above applied the 3rd and hasn't been conditionally approved, and the guy above him said his wife was conditionally approved in 3 days.

So that answers my questions I will post when I am conditionally approved.

I did see that appointments at JFK are available all the time so hopefully, the day after I am conditionally approved I can get an interview right away.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:01 am

For those who didn't get on-the-spot Global Entry approval, how long did you wait?

My wife and I applied for Global Entry/TSA PreCheck in October '17 and received conditional approval in a week. We just had our interview yesterday in CLT and everything seemed to go smoothly. My wife was interviewed first, which took about 6 minutes. Then it was my turn to be interviewed with the same officer. It was quick (about 4 minutes) and painless. The officer was very cordial. At the end of the interview she informed me that she had received my wife's fingerprint results back from the FBI and was waiting on mine. Once she checked the results, she told me that she would send us an acceptance email by the end of the day, and even possibly by the time we arrived home (we live 1.5 hours from the airport).

It's now the next day and we haven't heard anything yet. For those who didn't get accepted on the spot, how long did you wait until you received your acceptance letter/email/notification?

EDIT: Here is some background on our situation. I don't think any of these things would affect our acceptance, but you never know.
  • My wife has Jordanian/Slovak heritage. She holds a Jordanian passport, a Slovak passport, and a US passport.
  • My wife and I have been married for 6 years. She became a US resident in 2013 and a US citizen in 2017.
  • My wife has 3 surnames: a Jordanian surname, a Slovak surname (a slight alteration of the Jordanian surname to fit Slovak standards), and she legally took my surname when she became a US citizen.
  • Neither of us have ever been arrested or had any legal trouble.
  • We travel a lot. Our current passports contain stamps for 20 different countries, some with multiple entries.
The officer asked my wife several questions in the interview:
  • Why do you want Global Entry?
  • Have you ever been in violation of Customs/Immigration Laws?
  • Have you ever been arrested?
  • What is the date and last location of the place you have traveled?
  • Do you have your Jordanian passport with you? (She didn't, and it's expired.)
The officer only asked me two questions:
  • Have you ever been in violation of Customs/Immigration Laws?
  • Did you petition [for immigration] for your wife?

Last edited by Cybjorg; Jan 17, 2018 at 8:11 am Reason: Additional background
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I got my approval before I could walk the 10-15 minutes back to my SUV in the airport parking lot. Wife’s appointment was a few weeks later at the same office and the same agent. Her background was very uncomplicated and nothing like Cybjork’s wife and her approval took three weeks.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Her background was very uncomplicated and nothing like Cybjork’s wife and her approval took three weeks.
Good to know. I'm going to not worry yet.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
How long is the average processing time from when the application is submitted to the interview? Is this in the magnitude of days or weeks?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by aaflyer93
How long is the average processing time from when the application is submitted to the interview? Is this in the magnitude of days or weeks?
Since the interview is dependent on the availability of a time slot at any given office it’s hard to give an average. I got through the initial hoop of conditional approval in about a week. When I first started looking at the local office for an interview appointment time the best I could do was some 60 days out. I kept checking over a three or four day period and eventually got an open slot about two weeks out. Some have reported better or shorter time, some much longer, and some have been able to do a “walk-in” without an appointment. Bottom line is you have folks who have gotten through the whole process in literally days while others have taken weeks if not months.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jan 18, 2018 at 5:42 am
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:54 am

so conditional approval is 1 week from application? My in laws applied last night and I am assuming they should be getting conditional approval in 1 week... Is my assumption right?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:35 pm

As of lately, conditional approval seem to be on average between 1-2 weeks from application submission. There are some lucky ones who received their conditionals in <1 week.

As for the interview following the conditional approval, grab the earliest one at your convenient time & desired location and be actively searching the calendar on a daily basis should you desire an earlier date. Earlier slots are often freed up with people rescheduling/cancelling their appointments.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stampy
As of lately, conditional approval seem to be on average between 1-2 weeks from application submission. There are some lucky ones who received their conditionals in <1 week.

As for the interview following the conditional approval, grab the earliest one at your convenient time & desired location and be actively searching the calendar on a daily basis should you desire an earlier date. Earlier slots are often freed up with people rescheduling/cancelling their appointments.
I second above posters' comments. Fiance and I applied same day, 1/9/18, and both conditionally approved today, 1/18/18. Conditional approvals seem to be hovering at +1 week.

We live in Los Angeles and scheduled our interviews for 2/12/18 in Long Beach as that was the earliest available. We have been checking throughout the day for earlier time slots since we have a trip coming up on 2/14/18 and were able to get earlier appointments -- him at LAX tomorrow and myself at LGB on 2/2. Be persistent!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Stampy

I hear you..I did that 2 years back ..Had a chrome plugin installed which would alert me everytime something opens up at LAX..
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Just another data point due to the time limits now in place:

I was conditionally approved on 9/25/16. Due to inability to find interview times that fits my work schedule (and some procrastination) I finally interviewed on 1/2/18. Interviewer raised an eyebrow when he noticed the time gap but ultimately no issues, and I was quickly approved.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:55 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Posts discussing the closure of the Global Entry Enrollment Centers due to the US government shutdown were moved to a separate thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:16 pm

After GOES transitioned to TTP, are people still getting their approval emails within the hour after the interview or is it now taking longer to receive the approval email?

My fiancé had his interview yesterday at LAX and was told he was should be approved and to keep an eye for an email in a few days. I thought most people got their approval emails within an hour. Could the government shutdown have caused a delay in getting his background and fingerprints checked?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:03 pm

Many do receive their final approvals within moments after successfully completing the interview while others have had to wait longer. The latter usually could be a possibility of waiting for the final background results, the officer forgetting to hit the final approval button, needing final supervisor approval, etc. Now with reports of officers being furloughed from GE enrollment centers, it could be one of the reasons as well.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note - Cross-Posting

Folks,

Please do not cross-post. It is a violation of FlyerTalk Rule 6.

Please discuss government shutdown furloughs related delays in the thread that I linked above:
Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.