Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Dulles to Moscow on UA – the ULTIMATE double EQM run – right now anyway!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dulles to Moscow on UA – the ULTIMATE double EQM run – right now anyway!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2009, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
As I already posted way back in this thread ......

=================

Originally Posted by ozstamps

Actually, I was kind of hoping I'd have an issue getting boarded ex the USA.

I had planned to politely noted the agent's name, and say "thank you - what a shame - Oh Well - can you please note your decision in the comments field of my PNR please" if that occurred, and walk away with a wide smile when it was done.

THEN I'd later write a note to the 1K line, insisting they credit the miles, and the double EQM, and the 100% bonus, and the 3000 Russia bonus, just as if I'd taken the flight.

Their agent would be WRONG to have refused boarding, and WHQ would see that, but rather than argue at the podium, (and get nowhere) I'd have been delighted to have an unexpected day of sightseeing in IAD.

i.e. as they do all day long for involuntary re-routes on non UA metal. You get all miles and bonuses as IF you took those flights. If UA cancels a direct flight to Paris or AMS and puts you on Air France or AA or BA etc via a ticket endorsement, you get ALL the UA miles as if you flew it, AND all the miles from the other carrier too, if you are savvy enough to claim them.

UA would under these circumstances BOS-DME certainly add all the miles etc with no issue if asked the right way.

I'd not have pushed for a refund. All it means was 24 hours less of sitting in planes in coach. UA may also OFFER one, or a voucher for the pro-rata, but I for one would not push my luck.

Anyway why he did not simply fly the BOS-IAD section of his ticket, and talk to the fluent RUSSIAN UA speaking/reading agent on the DME gate there - paid to be there for exactly this kind of issue, sure beats me.

I can imagine at Fargo ND, or St George UT etc, the agents are not up to speed on the Russia flight and Visa details, but the agents at IAD podium are as they check these flights in each day. @:-)

There is in fact a DOUBLE CHECK of your Visa at BP reader as well as at podium, so these girls know EXACTLY what the rules are.

I took DAYS researching this, even posting on Russian Travel boards, and it was near impossible to get straight answers, so the only way to be sure was to do it first hand and report back.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
g_leyser,
Sorry to hear you weren't able to make it.. However, six FlyerTalkers did manage to pull off the Sat/Sun turn. Thanks to Whistler814's detailed instructions, we were all in the LH lounge less than five minutes after we landed. I've got to say, this was one of the easiest international turns Ive ever done.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by djerikd
g_leyser,
Sorry to hear you weren't able to make it.. However, six FlyerTalkers did manage to pull off the Sat/Sun turn. Thanks to Whistler814's detailed instructions, we were all in the LH lounge less than five minutes after we landed. I've got to say, this was one of the easiest international turns Ive ever done.
Indeed, and the flights weren't too bad (the return definitely had the better crew though), even for us cheapskates in Y both ways

Even more amusing, I counted at least 3 others that did the turn with us, although they didn't identify themselves as being FT folks. I have no idea if they were just randomly along or they just didn't say hi.

It was nice meeting everyone, and it was too bad you couldn't make it g_leyser.

Thanks to everyone who went before for reporting back with their experiences - I think most of us had to do some persuading to get the DME-IAD BPs issued, but once that was out of the way things went really smoothly.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by UncleJed
Indeed, and the flights weren't too bad (the return definitely had the better crew though), even for us cheapskates in Y both ways

Even more amusing, I counted at least 3 others that did the turn with us, although they didn't identify themselves as being FT folks. I have no idea if they were just randomly along or they just didn't say hi.

It was nice meeting everyone, and it was too bad you couldn't make it g_leyser.

Thanks to everyone who went before for reporting back with their experiences - I think most of us had to do some persuading to get the DME-IAD BPs issued, but once that was out of the way things went really smoothly.
+1
I echo what UncleJed said

Glen (ozstamps) thanks for the last minute emails! We did ask for the service dir but of course they never showed. It was a fun trip out and scarily easy transit. The majority of the red carpet boarders were FT'ers Heck, the trip is worth the price of admission just to get the "pat down" from the russian security girl in the transit screening area

At some point we have to get Erik (sorry Erik, don't remember your FT name) to explain his "adventure" with the UX staff for this trip
Old Apr 26, 2009, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NH_Clark

Glen (ozstamps) thanks for the last minute emails! We did ask for the service dir but of course they never showed. It was a fun trip out and scarily easy transit. The majority of the red carpet boarders were FT'ers
That was pretty funny, as it was 2.30am Saturday in Sydney, and I just happened to be up working then, and kept getting all these panic email from the IAD airport!

But to repeat that advice for others, the IAD boarding gate for the flight is where the staff know their stuff, not always at check-in.

If they will not help, ask for a Service Director as I advised you. They will not do that IF they are in the wrong.

Armed with my RULES print outs above from UA's own system, saying no Visa WHATEVER is needed for transits of less than 24 hours, you should be fine, IF you get the boarding pass DME-IAD issued BEFORE you leave the USA.

If they will NOT play ball, be certain to quietly note agent name who refuses you, ENSURE they note the record that you were refused, and write to UA as per my post at post 91 above.

You'll get the real miles, the EQM, and the 3000 bonus .. without even leaving the USA!

Glen
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:21 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum

You'll get the real miles, the EQM, and the 3000 bonus .. without even leaving the USA!

Glen
Well Glen I hope you're right! I should find out later this week.

Sorry to have missed all you guys. I tried!!
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by g_leyser

Well Glen I hope you're right! I should find out later this week.
No brainer. Just like a cancelled route or re-protection on a non Star carrier is how they'll handle it. Those happens 1000 times a day.

If you were denied boarding in direct contravention of their OWN VERY CLEAR rules that you had printed out, and you showed them, that person will also get a forceful kick up the bum I'd guess. Good.

As I posted it simply means 24 hours less of sitting in a coach seat.

I personally would not do it, but I think there would be perfect grounds after the miles all post successfully, to ask for a complete ticket refund too - or at least a voucher.

United have no idea why you were headed there .. for all they know you were planning to peruse and sign contract paperwork or discussing a business deal face to face with someone in the Lufthansa Lounge at DME.

NONE of their business.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL
My first MR. It was slightly comical that the best economy seats were all FTers from the States and the back of the plane was filled with Russians.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
A great weekend. Thanks OZSTAMPS for doing the legwork. The visa fee would have been a deal breaker. And thanks also to to the FTer who got their boarding pass in LAX 10 minutes before me early Saturday morning. The agent had already done the visa research and concluded, correctly, that a visa wasn't required.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:20 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

I personally would not do it, but I think there would be perfect grounds after the miles all post successfully, to ask for a complete ticket refund too - or at least a voucher.
That's pushing it I think. I just want the miles, and I have no problem paying for them.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dabolix

My first MR. It was slightly comical that the best economy seats were all FTers from the States and the back of the plane was filled with Russians.
Yes same with my flights .. indeed there were only about a half dozen pax each way in E+ and a few Russian tour groups were down the back.

Although in front row of coach on a 767 I really was not aware of that, and used the Biz loos whenever I needed.

FA bought me a coffee at some point, and I said "you must love these near empty flights" and she rolled her eyes and whispered "ARE YOU KIDDING - it is like Club Moscow back there!"
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:22 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Request Denied!!

Well I heard back from 1K Voice today and they DENIED MY REQUEST for miles!!!!

Here is a quote from the letter:
I have been to timaticweb.com and travel.state.gov, both of those websites says that you need a visa regardless of the length of stay or even if you are transiting. Russia has a very strict and complicated visa program. We appreciate your request for the miles that you would have earned if you had flown however at this time I am not able to grant your request. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
What this guy is failing to understand is that I would never have even entered Russia!!

I will write back trying to explain this as best I can. Any other ideas?

Would anybody else who completed this journey, be willing to let me use their PNR# of a completed trip as a reference? Please PM me if so.

Does anybody happen to know the name of the person who checks the visas at time of boarding in IAD? She seems to know the rules very well.

Open to other suggestions.

This is the difference between 1P and 1K for me, so it is pretty important to me. This is very frustrating.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Interesting thread. But the information flying around that UA will absolutely positively credit these miles is a little misleading IMO. There's a thread somewhere on here of a guy who was doing a MR to MHT which misconnected due to UA's own fault, and he still couldn't get the original mileage credit. If search didn't suck, I'd dig up the thread, but I think it was from one of the guys with LAX at the end of their handle. Anyway, if I recall, he fought and fought and ended up losing, despite it being pretty clear it was UA's fault.

Perhaps you should call and speak to Mileage Plus CS? I've had good luck with them, even after getting denial snail mail letters.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Well I heard back from 1K Voice today and they DENIED MY REQUEST Open to other suggestions.
When the UA 1K desk quotes the Department of State Web Site (which thankfully I never checked before doing my MR) they come to the following paragraph: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...ransit%20Visas

Travelers intending to transit through Russia en route to a third country must have a Russian transit visa. Even travelers who are simply changing planes in Moscow or another international airport in Russia for an onward destination will be asked to present a transit visa issued by a Russian Embassy or Consulate. Russian authorities may refuse to allow a U.S. citizen who does not have a transit visa to continue with his or her travel, obliging the person to immediately return to the point of embarkation at the traveler’s own expense.

This adds some confusion as UA will take it that being sent back to your point of origin is a punishment when that is actually your intent. I think you should write to the Russian consulate in the US asking for visa requirements for an immediate turn. Hopefully they reply with a response specific to your situation and not a generic 'visa policy for Americans' letter. If their response supports "No Visa Required" send a copy with your complaint to the 1K desk.

Last edited by edsh; Apr 28, 2009 at 10:56 am
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by edsh
When the UA 1K desk quotes the Department of State Web Site (which thankfully I never checked before doing my MR) they come to the following paragraph: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...ransit%20Visas

Travelers intending to transit through Russia en route to a third country must have a Russian transit visa. Even travelers who are simply changing planes in Moscow or another international airport in Russia for an onward destination will be asked to present a transit visa issued by a Russian Embassy or Consulate. Russian authorities may refuse to allow a U.S. citizen who does not have a transit visa to continue with his or her travel, obliging the person to immediately return to the point of embarkation at the traveler’s own expense.

This adds some confusion as UA will take it that being sent back to your point of origin is a punishment when that is actually your intent. I think you should write to the Russian consulate in the US asking for visa requirements for an immediate turn. Hopefully they reply with a response specific to your situation and not a generic 'visa policy for Americans' letter. If their response supports "No Visa Required" send a copy with your complaint to the 1K desk.
Interestingly enough, the Russian authorities didn't even blink twice as we went through the transit area and through transit security screening. All they seemed interested in was that you had in your possession a boarding pass showing onward progression (presumably for within the 24 hour window).

What's equally confusing is that every single visa service company website is stating the following:
"Note: if you are on a direct flight through the territory of Russia or travel by international airline and change flights in the same airport within 24 hours, you do not need a visa."

Last edited by NH_Clark; Apr 28, 2009 at 11:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.