Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Dulles to Moscow on UA – the ULTIMATE double EQM run – right now anyway!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dulles to Moscow on UA – the ULTIMATE double EQM run – right now anyway!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Wow! Thanks to OZSTAMPS for this great posting. If we ever meet, the shouts are on me!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:18 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Nice report and photo- too bad u also didn't post a photo while on rtr trip to SYD just to see if you were that happy after all that flying!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:23 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Thank you for taking the time to do such a thorough write-up.

This seems a better fit for the Trip Reports Forum, so I'll move this there.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

Excellent report! Thanks ozstamps!

But didn't you want to visit Moscow? Russia was the highlight of my travels last years--I loved MOW and LED--and even got to fly on the TU-134 and TU-154. Though the Visa process was cumbersome and expensive, it was worth it.
I've been to Russia a few times before on holiday -- this was just for the double EQM as I had nothing better to do when sitting in IAD for the weekend.

Glen
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
hmm, that is cheap. DME is in Asia, not Europe. (I may be wrong, but I see Russia as an Asian nation) And UA was buying us drinks for Asian flights.

I guess I'll need to stock up on chits somehow.
Russia is a European country and is considered to be a European country by all international entities and organizations

Last edited by asnovici; Apr 6, 2009 at 2:28 pm
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:41 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by asnovici
HUH???? Russia is a European country and is considered to be a European country by all international entities and organizations as well as by anyone who ever took geography/history in high school or even woke up and turned on the news.
Oh thats real classy anovici. I am familiar with the location of countries and have multiple degrees and access to the web and tv.

When I consider flying over 14000 miles, and NRT-SIN serves alcohol, I am disappointed IAD-DME does not, and when I think of Russia as a whole as I did at 4am this morning I consider it Eurasian, a bit further than Europe itself, and should get access to drinks.

I stood corrected and find your bash rude and insensitive.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Guys, alcohol is $6 a serve. REGARDLESS of which continent Moscow might be in.

No-one forces anyone to drink it.

Sodas and coffee and tea is FREE. @:-)

1Ks get a bunch of free drink chits each year, and tons are always on Coupon Connection for trade.

As noted in my report above, my drinks were comped anyway, which is not uncommon for 1Ks or GS travelling long haul in coach.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps
No-one forces anyone to drink it.

Sodas and coffee and tea is FREE. @:-)
I get it, just frowning on the policy, thanks for all the updates and detailed report.

A
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Great trip report, ozstamps! For a MR in Y, you're looking pretty comfortable in that photo.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: Nothing now! (Bye bye gold memberships)
They thought it was a hoot a 1K was flying 10 hours to DME just to turn around and go back, after just arriving from SYD, and pampered me in many ways I better not go into here, but suffice to say it was a very fun trip.
Scandalous--I dare not ask more. Sounds like a great trip indeed! ^
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:43 pm
In Memoriam

Excellent

Excellent trip report Ozstamps.
My son and I were thinking about a trip to Moscow, but decided against it for the visa problems etc.
I think that I will revisit my decision.
Thanks for all of the advice.

wwbgd
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Oh thats real classy anovici. I am familiar with the location of countries and have multiple degrees and access to the web and tv.

When I consider flying over 14000 miles, and NRT-SIN serves alcohol, I am disappointed IAD-DME does not, and when I think of Russia as a whole as I did at 4am this morning I consider it Eurasian, a bit further than Europe itself, and should get access to drinks.

I stood corrected and find your bash rude and insensitive.
On revisiting my post, I did realize it was a bit harsh, and I apologize for that, I have edited it now.

Russia is indeed a country that by geographical standards is in Europe and Asia, however it is European even in its Asian part in a socio-economic sense. Its also a member of all key European organizations, and considered to be a European country. Also, OP was traveling to Moscow, which is certainly a European city, Asian part of the country only begins west of the Ural Mountains.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by asnovici
On revisiting my post, I did realize it was a bit harsh, and I apologize for that, I have edited it now.

Russia is indeed a country that by geographical standards is in Europe and Asia, however it is European even in its Asian part in a socio-economic sense. Its also a member of all key European organizations, and considered to be a European country. Also, OP was traveling to Moscow, which is certainly a European city, Asian part of the country only begins west of the Ural Mountains.
thanks, appreciate that. You are correct in your clarification, I was being difficult about it earlier, but understand the geography and economic setting Moscow is in.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Nice report ozstamps. I didn't think I'd see the day you book a non-SWUable fare on UA.

Yes IIROPS would be the catch.

The very large LH lounge has showers and tons of food and booze so I am sure being marooned there would be no hard case to bear.
There was a report on FT last year when someone was effectively detained in Moscow due to irrops and they had no visa.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks ozstamps. I came here to ask what your visa experience was. Both UA and the Russian visa office in DC told me that it was not necessary. It is very good to get feedback from someone who has been there.

I will be heading there this weekend. Hopefully I will also be able to find the LH lounge.

Would IIROPS really be the catch since one will be boarding the same plane returning?

A very good report. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.