Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Singapore and Lufthansa First, Turkish Airlines Business to Uzbekistan and Berlin!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore and Lufthansa First, Turkish Airlines Business to Uzbekistan and Berlin!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2009, 5:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Wow, simply a superior trip report and great pictures! Very nice job! ^
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Wow! I haven't seen one of these in a while ~ an old fashioned style trip report! More than just the increasingly common bunch of photos accompanied by sparse comments, you've combined good pictures with a well written, descriptive and entertaining commentary. You even included the menu transcript. Thank you for what is shaping up to be a First Class trip report!
Plus one. Great effort Seat 2A!

The reports that are just a collection of photos leave me cold.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS Gold, UA 2P, SPG Plat
Great TR

This is the first TR I've read and if they are all like this, I won't have time for anything else. I've always wanted to go to Tashkent and Samarkand.

To bad I am so far away from an F award ticket on SQ.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Very good trip report so far. I found your flight on Turkish Airlines to Tashkent especially fascinating.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Folks, thanks so much for the nice comments. I'm glad people are enjoying the report.

I'm really sorry not to have part 5 up sooner. I'm working on it right now, and it should be up in less than an hour! Each part takes me a while to write, because I want to articulate my thoughts and experiences in both words and pictures. Thanks for your patience.

I'll add another post when the link is up!
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Part 5 is live, folks! Find the link in the OP, or click here!

Thanks so much for reading.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA [Gold]
Great report, looking forward to Berlin.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
PanHam - did you get to Samarkand? How much of a pain was it getting the Uzbek visa?

Great report! Looking forward to reading more.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcmike
PanHam - did you get to Samarkand? How much of a pain was it getting the Uzbek visa?

Great report! Looking forward to reading more.
dcmike: (love your signature, by the way) - did not make it to Samarkand - will have to, next time . You can find the fun of obtaining my Uzbek visa here, and here. Overall, not terrible, but, a bit of a pain in the posterior.

Part Six will be up shortly!
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Here's Part Six, folks! Enjoy.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: UA *G
Hilarious Trip Report so far Especially the Tashkent experience.. reminds me a lot of flying into Moscow a few years back.

If you were wondering about the Russian plane, that's a Yakovlev Yak-42 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yak-42) of Krasnodar, Russia based carrier Kuban Airlines. They say it can fly on two engines, and continue level flight on one. It was designed to take off from *very* short runways.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 4:18 am

Programs: Various
Great trip report. Makes me wanna fly SQ F...

I have been to Tashkent and Samarkand. It can be recommended BUT you have to be aware of the clueless service, potential harrassment by police etc etc. If you are prepared for that then go for it.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:17 am
Original Poster

I haven't forgotten about Part Seven! I'm so sorry for the delay - I've been studying for a huge exam on Monday. I'll try my damndest to get it up tomorrow (Sunday).

Thanks, folks.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Great trip report. Makes me wanna fly SQ F...

I have been to Tashkent and Samarkand. It can be recommended BUT you have to be aware of the clueless service, potential harrassment by police etc etc. If you are prepared for that then go for it.
Hmmm . . . interesting point. I found all of the policeman ridiculously nice, but, perhaps I only have a small sample size. Some service, yes, was downright spotty.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 2:55 am

Programs: Various
Me and my friend were stopped by police and taken to a room where they wanted money from us. After a while they let us go but when we arrived at the next metro station we were stopped again for a document check. Obviously because we were foreigners. In Samarkand on the other hand the police were friendly and at Registan offered us to climb one of the minarets (for a fee of course).

It's a small sample size here as well but document checks and attempts to get money from tourists in the metro are what guide books warn about.

I liked your photos of apartment blocks. One thing that fascinated me was the ones were you could find a restaurant or a shop on the ground floor that looked nice and then you looked up and noticed the other floors were in terrible shape.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.