Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The trip of trips!! FRWSTAR2 around the world! 57 days, 34 flights, and a few trains…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The trip of trips!! FRWSTAR2 around the world! 57 days, 34 flights, and a few trains…

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by Auscaz
Hi there. I am completely new at this as I have just joined. Having read the comments, I am keen to have a look at jacob's trip report but am not sure how to find it. Am trying to navigate my way around this forum, without much joy. Sorry and thanks!!
It is at the beginning of this thread (and then goes on for many pages):
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626793

SmilingBoy.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 0.72MM
Amazing trip report!

I've just spent the best part of 2 hours reading through it! It really was a fantastic account of your trip and it gives a fantastic selection of reviews of various airlines, etc.

In feb of this year i did a little trip on *A which im writing the report for right now. My trip consisted of LHR-MAN-SIN-HKG-ICN-UUS-ICN-NRT-IAD-ORD-MAN all in C and F. It really is a long experience writing a report like this and i have a lot of respect for yours!

Many thanks,

Chris
Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I can't believe I haven't seen this report earlier

What an amazing report! I'm speechless!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
WOW... What a report!!! Spent at least a week reading parts of the report due to time constraints, but what an amazing trip and the report. All I could really say after reading it was: WOW!!! I can only dream of traveling to these countries in cattle class, let alone in premium cabins.
The pictures were also amazing, especially the ones from the countries you visited... Really good work...
Old Sep 8, 2007, 2:49 am

Programs: BAGold, Marriott, Marriott Gold, Tesco, BA Amex, Amex Plat, Holiday Inn RA
Thank you for this trip report - a lot of effort to allow us to vicariously enjoy your journey. You were so close to the mileage limit I think I may follow your route - if only Mrs S would allow me to.

I personally don't rate the CX Wing at HKG as highly as everyone else seems to - the bathrooms are superb and maybe they alone allow the lounge to justify its most favoured status. However I found the food service to be limited and "warmed over" - the noodle bar is always crowded and seems to suit groups of people eating together rather than single travellers. The staff of course are excellent. The First entrance is very badly sign posted.

Once again, thanks for your report!
S
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by spanna2000
Thank you for this trip report - a lot of effort to allow us to vicariously enjoy your journey. You were so close to the mileage limit I think I may follow your route - if only Mrs S would allow me to.

I personally don't rate the CX Wing at HKG as highly as everyone else seems to - the bathrooms are superb and maybe they alone allow the lounge to justify its most favoured status. However I found the food service to be limited and "warmed over" - the noodle bar is always crowded and seems to suit groups of people eating together rather than single travellers. The staff of course are excellent. The First entrance is very badly sign posted.
Thanks for the comment!!
I hope you can convince Mrs S to go for the routing, she won't regret it...

Regarding The Wing in HK I thought the lounge was very nice and the staff very attentive and helpful. However I agree with you the entrance to the first class lounge is hard to find, I completely missed it and ended up at the main entrance instead, not that it bothered me that much though as I wanted to have a look around anyway.
Also the seats in The Wing were not very comfortable, definitely too low for me, I didn't like them at all.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: Many
I have read your trip report for less than a half at that moment and it is absolutely amazing ! I cannot wait to read it all.

Every detail is interesting. Thank you so much for sharing.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 3:23 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
I guess I will rehash an "old" t/r and say I just spent a solid 5 hours reading through this report and looking through all the pictures. You are reading a post from a very jealous man

Big ^^ to you and look forward to your latest saga with your trip to Taipei.

zz
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Nothing, SPG Gold
Quite a trip! Thanks for the report, thoroughly enjoyed reading about it.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:17 pm

should have gone to bed hours ago, but couldn't stop reading this rapport.
I really enjoyed reading it. It should be turned into a book.
Thank you jacob
Old Aug 27, 2008, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Many thanks for the comments!

Originally Posted by aim1
should have gone to bed hours ago, but couldn't stop reading this rapport.
I really enjoyed reading it. It should be turned into a book.
Haha, that's very sweet of you!! I hope you eventually got some sleep though...
Old Aug 29, 2008, 1:21 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
NZ immigration

What a great read - I am only up the your second visit to SYD - its taken me a couple of weeks to get this far - and its joy all the way. Looking forward to reading the rest.

Don't worry about the NZ officials, they tend to pick out people who do not fit a very narrow profile, which is normally NZ residents on common routings and tourists.

I was sent to the Red lane many years ago, as I was young and on a family visit to Wellington when I lived in Melbourne, and I was departing via Auckland after visiting my sister in Kaitaia.

Last December my Dad died after a long illness, I often commute across the tasman SYD - CHC and don't normally have any issues.

Dad dies on Sat night, so I book a flight online with EK - (first flight Sunday morning, and the best deal), but only booked a one way. Get to CHC - front up to immigration, with a ? in the length of stay box, as at that stage did not know how long i would be away.

When I departed SYD I volunteered that I did not know how long I would be away without an explanation, to be told "you will come home when you are ready" (traveling on my Australian passport).

So the question is asked
- how long are you staying in NZ -
at this stage not sure,
- when is your return flight booked -
have not booked at this stage
- why not?
so I go - well couple of points, I'm an Australian citizen and able to enter NZ without restriction, second I was born in NZ and therefore am a full citizenship anyway, according to NZ law
-yes but how long are you staying-
so i then go well my Dad died last night so I don't really know, I just concentrated on getting here as soon as I could, at this stage I am due back at work in 10 days time - but will see how things go, don't worry I will return to Sydney to live, I have no plans to live here.
- sorry to hear that -
and waves me thru.

What a load of crud. I can understand if I needed a visa or was someone who might be a risk of overstaying a visa, or working illegally, but I can stay for as long as I can or even work if I want to.

So don't take it personally. Its just a kiwi thing.

Adam
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA, Delta
Wow

I'm just looking for a spot to practice my first post in FlyerTalk. I'll say this is my goal for 10 years from now. Wow.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: AirNZ Koru
Nearly there

Did anyone else notice Osaka in a rather odd place? Just above Port morsbey or something
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I loved your review of the Shangri-La

Do you get slightly paranoid if other poeple are taking your luggage? I get worried so tend to take my luggage myself.

Also, isnt there a separate 1st class terminal in Singapore or am I being confused?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.