BA289 - Heathrow to Phoenix in FIRST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA289 - Heathrow to Phoenix in FIRST

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2004, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
I'm pleased you all enjoyed it! It was certainly great to write, eventhough it did take over 2 hours to produce!
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
We get it - you flew in First Class. While I certainly enjoyed the outstanding detail in your report, I really think you went overboard a bit with capitalizing FIRST in just about every other sentence.

Thank you again for the detail though.
As the word 'first' is also a rather useful word, this was my 'first' long haul flight in 'FIRST', I tried to differentiate between the two meanings (occasion and cabin) so as not to confuse the reader.

Originally Posted by SMART51
Nice report ^
Very surprised travelling to Lisbon in FIRST seat 1K on 747-400
Euro2004 was a major football/soccer tournament in Europe back in June. As there were lots of England fans wanting to travel to the games, British Airways changed the equipment used on certain flights on certain days to coincide when England were playing to add additional capacity. As I needed to top up the miles at the time, I flew to Lisbon and back again on the same aircraft with a seat in FIRST for both flights, yet the cabin (and Club World for that matter) were sold as Club Europe! A bit of a bargain really and a rather unique opportunity.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
We get it - you flew in First Class. While I certainly enjoyed the outstanding detail in your report, I really think you went overboard a bit with capitalizing FIRST in just about every other sentence.
I think it was probably done because that's the proper name of the cabin. If you read BA's literature, it's World Traveler, Club World, and FIRST. Dont know why. I personally think it's annoying but then again I have no reason to be set apart from anything or anyone like someone in FIRST might expect. I see that the OP answered the question (not sure why I didnt see it before), but just the same, BA does refer to the cabin as FIRST in all caps. Again, not sure why.

Good report. You didnt miss anything by not getting the steak. When I used to fly, I would order it hoping that it would be better than the last time. Unfortunately, it never was and I would tell myself I would never order it again. Of course, I would much to my regret. I think it's funny that it sounds like the FA gave you a bit of a hard time about ordering 5 courses. I haven't done it but they shouldnt have hassled you. I find that BA's service is good but a bit parochial at times.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:41 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Well done flyclub. ^
That was a first class trip report and I for one thoroughly enjoyed reading about your first long-haul experience in FIRST on BA.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:45 pm

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
I had my first flight in BA FIRST back in July and incidentally that was also to Phoenix. An excellent trip report, enjoyable reading.

I did have the steak and it was quite dreadful. I should have known better, I've never had a decent steak served on an aircraft.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Thanks for the report it brought back good memories of a recent LHR-SEA-LHR trip. I had the exact same lunch as you on the outbound but your lamb on the way home looked better than mine
Is the Carmenet Dynamite still on the wine list?
From your picture of the Concorde room this is about where we sat, you can see “conc” still painted on the tarmac at the stand for her front wheel position.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum & D2, US SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Good report but was it really neccisary to capitialize the entire word "FIRST" each time?
Great report!!!!! ^

Interesting how something so innocuous seems to bother people. I tend to notice improperly spelled words such as in the above post more so than overuse of capitalization.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by CMK10
Good report but was it really neccisary to capitialize the entire word "FIRST" each time?
FIRST (capitalised) is how British Airways refers to its First Class product. flyclub is not showing off - he is simply referring to the product by its trading name.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Excellent trip report! Thanks again ^
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Miami_Flyer
Great report!!!!! ^

Interesting how something so innocuous seems to bother people. I tend to notice improperly spelled words such as in the above post more so than overuse of capitalization.
Then you must have been thoroughly bugged by the countless dozens of misspellings in the trip report...

Typos aside, great trip report and commentary on the BA service ^ (just proofread next time!) I fly through PHX on America West more than I'd like to and always see the signs for BA. If I keep flying HP, I may find myself in BA First as well some day soon.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 4:55 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Nice report.

At first I read Lynch-Bages 1985, and I was most envious, as I've
drunk up all of mine ... but the '95 should have done better with
the roganjosh than an older vintage anyway.

Glad you liked the Symmetry - although your glass, from the
picture, was way too full. I wouldn't cry for Carmenet
Dynamite if Symmetry was there.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Then you must have been thoroughly bugged by the countless dozens of misspellings in the trip report...
Both parts of the report total around 3900 words which I think is quite a lot! I don't think I spelled that many words wrong - I'm assuming you are ignoring the British spelling of certain words such as Labour, Favourite, and I think I may have ever written colour. Further more I think the airport title is Phoenix Sky Harbor which I have spelt Harbour, again the British way.

It took so long, uploading the pictures, etc, (and due to other commitments) I was eager to get it up for everyone to read.

Originally Posted by violist
Nice report.

At first I read Lynch-Bages 1985, and I was most envious, as I've
drunk up all of mine ... but the '95 should have done better with
the roganjosh than an older vintage anyway.

Glad you liked the Symmetry - although your glass, from the
picture, was way too full. I wouldn't cry for Carmenet
Dynamite if Symmetry was there.
I liked the Lynch-Bages '95, however when one of the crew asked what it was like, as another passenger was unsure which to pick, I recommended it. However I did hear the 'other passenger' say it was awful?!?

I do agree the glass was too full, however I also think they are too small. The glasses in the Concorde lounge are much bigger, to allow room above the wine for the aromas to evolve, however they were absent on the aircraft.

Plus the crew kept coming around topping me up, I don't think I finished a whole glass during the flight (I said "No, No more! Coffee, I need Coffee!" ) and therefore totally lost track of how many I had in fact drunk!
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

To complete the report, I have included the Red/White wine list for both flights:

BA289 - LHR to PHX

White

Chablis Grand Cru Bougors 1997, Jean-Marc Brocard

Meursault Les Narvaux 1998, Domaine Vincent Girardin

Pouilly-Fume Vieilles Vignes 2001, Grand Cuvee Fournier

St Superb Meritage 2001, Napa Valley

Red

Chateau Lynch-Bages 1995, Grand Cru Classe, Pauillac

Piedra Feliz Pinot Noir 2002, Valle de Casablanca

Rodney Strong Symmetry 1995, Alexander Valley

BA 288 - PHX to LHR

White

Meursault Les Narvaux 1998, Domaine Vincent Girardin

Pouilly-Fume Vieilles Vignes 2001, Grand Cuvee Fournier

Cape Mentelle Semillon Sauvignon 2003, Margaret River

St Superb Meritage 2001, Napa Valley

Red

Chateau Lynch-Bages 1995, Grand Cru Classe, Pauillac

Piedra Feliz Pinot Noir 2002, Valle de Casablanca

Rodney Strong Symmetry 1995, Alexander Valley

Champagne in both directions was Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle
Old Sep 18, 2004, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
flyclub, I would have read this sooner, but I was too busy being a tourist here in San Fran!

Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your experiences in First and being reminded via the excellent pictures of those First Class meals. I had the Lamb Rogan Josh in May when returning to CAI at the end of my RTW and, while it was not quite what I was expecting, I thought it was wonderful.

Hope we'll hear from you again next time ^
Old Sep 18, 2004, 7:47 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Wonderful Report. I agree- Phoenix is a great airport to fly through- though I have never been through the customs and immigrations, I have flown Southwest and America West from Terminal Four where British Airways operates from...

now Terminal Two is a different story.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Silver. AA EXP.
In Phoenix this year I managed to get off BA289, clear immigration and customs and be outside within 15 minutes. Helped by being first in the non resident line at immigration. In general its a nice efficient airport. Arriving back at LHR involved a 45 minute wait for bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.