BA289 - Heathrow to Phoenix in FIRST

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2004, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for that detailed report. The pictures were brilliant ^
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:56 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Great report, thanks! It's quite weird how they still are using plastic knives in BA F as many others already use metal even in short haul J, not to mention long haul...maybe they just want to play it extra safe...
Old Oct 6, 2004, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Great report, thanks! It's quite weird how they still are using plastic knives in BA F as many others already use metal even in short haul J, not to mention long haul...maybe they just want to play it extra safe...
All flights to/from UK must use plastic. Very stupid. Like a broken wine bottle isn't sharp? Duh!
Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
I have corrected the hosting problems with my pictures as reported by a fellow reader from the BA board (I discovered the host had deleted the photo's ) however, I have re-uploaded the pictures and the links will now work again! ^

For those who missed the report the 'FIRST' time around - Enjoy! ^
Old Nov 19, 2004, 4:25 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Thank you for the report, and especially all the pictures! How service for the man undressing the FAs?
Old Nov 19, 2004, 6:49 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Great report flyclub!

Is'nt FT great. Not only do you maxmise points and miles, but you get ideas for dinner as well, such as Lamb Shank Rogan Josh
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Excellent report! I was a little surprised that people started to pick on you!!!

I am sure you were excited -- as I suspect we all were -- about youy first trip in BA F.

Frankly, I think the BA "abbreviation" of first class into one word with capitals: FIRST, makes sense. But really I don't care.

I was disappointed to see that there was no true sirloin or filet entree offering.

It does seem as if cost cutting is creeping into the menu, but not the wines (well, maybe the champage)...

Interesting I was able to see the following about the wines:

Ch. Lynch-Bages, Pauillac GB Price Ł58.72
(approx. $106.48)

Medium intense garnet in colour, with a rich cedary nose leading on to a palate brimming with red and black fruits with hints of vanilla scented oak. Very well balanced and will be drinking well from 2003.

and this note about a 1997 Symmetry (I couldn't find anything about the 1995):

Symmetry, Rodney Strong
1997 Ł85.00

Serious wine, blend of Cab Sauv, Merlot and Cab Franc, rich luscious lingering flavours, stunning.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by nologic
Ch. Lynch-Bages, Pauillac GB Price Ł58.72
(approx. $106.48)

Medium intense garnet in colour, with a rich cedary nose leading on to a palate brimming with red and black fruits with hints of vanilla scented oak. Very well balanced and will be drinking well from 2003.

Symmetry, Rodney Strong
1997 Ł85.00

Serious wine, blend of Cab Sauv, Merlot and Cab Franc, rich luscious lingering flavours, stunning.
Thanks for that info! I'm pleased I seemed to make the correct choices with the wine! The Symmetry was certainly the better bottle out of the two (if I remember correctly) which appears to be reflected in the price.

I'm so pleased I managed to drink 3/4 of the bottle of the Symmetry, however, no one else in the cabin was drinking it which I thought was odd at the time.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 4:18 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Excellent report and pictures.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Symmetry

Just tasted the '99, and although it was a well-made wine, I
didn't think it the equal of others (the nutty and delicious
'96 coming to mind). Perhaps it had gone dumb, but the '00
Reserve Cab was showing much better by comparison.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by flyclub
Note: Be warned – the following trip report is very detailed! Certain words are also linked to pictures!

London Heathrow (T4) to Phoenix Sky Harbor International – BA289

The departure time for my flight to Phoenix was scheduled for around 12:25pm. This would be my second trip in the nose of a 747-400 in FIRST (my last being to Lisbon during Euro2004). However it was my first flight in FIRST, which was a 'real' Long Haul flight. Consequently, I arrived at T4 at Heathrow around 09:30 to make good use of the Concorde Lounge.

As I approached the almost deserted desks that used to be dedicated to Concorde, I was initially asked my name and where I was going. By the time I had told them and reached the actual check-in desk, completed the usual formalities, my bag was checked and on its way, all within 90 seconds of entering the First Class check-in area. No wonder the area looks so deserted with this kind of efficiency!

From the point of being dropped off at the terminal to sitting down in the Concorde lounge, with the help of ‘Fast Track’, only 10 minutes had passed. A great start!

Soon I had ordered a Bacon Role, washed down with a nice glass of Perrier Jouët Champagne. As this flight would soon carry me over the Gold status threshold with the Executive Club, I have not had the pleasure of any of the First lounges as of yet. Maybe on one of my numerous trips in Club Europe!

Two hours before boarding went really quickly, especially after another glass of Champagne. I deliberately had no intention of visiting the Molton Brown Spa, even though I knew I could with my FIRST ticket – I was more than happy looking out the window trying to picture where Concorde once stood, rather than the KLM 767-300.

The walk to the gate seemed the opposite end of the terminal (I forget the exact gate number). However, not having done Long Haul with BA for at least 18 months prior to this flight, I did notice that there was a Fast Track queue for Club World and FIRST passengers which was most useful as quite a queue had built for the Traveller sections.

Once onboard, as soon as the crew realised I was destined to turn left, I was led to my seat, 2A on this flight, by a member of staff I later determined was based in the FIRST cabin. Even though I was told, briefly, at check-in that 1A was available, I had deliberately opted from 2A as I felt after sitting in 1K on my way to Lisbon, it was a little to overly private for my liking. I do like to see what is going on around me, rather than the feeling everyone was watching me, especially knowing the kind of status these seats usually demand.

I am not a lover of nuts, never have been and never will. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if I have a slight allergy to them, not that I would not eat them if there was nothing else, I just wouldn’t choose them. Therefore, seeing a plate of around five different types of nuts ranging from Peanut through to the Brazil’s was not ideal, although expected, I swiftly asked for some of the Pretzel Nuggets. Although the reaction from the crewmember was of one of surprise, I’m quite partial. Anyone who has flown BA on their Domestic routes, Traveller cabins and even Club Europe would have come across them. I’m quite partial, especially the Sea Salt and Cider Vinegar, and for someone who doesn’t like nuts, ideal. Soon she was back with a plate of them for me – a nice change to just being handed the packet. I was expecting great things.

Once my glass of Champagne had been drank, (somewhat smaller than the ones in the Concorde lounge), the rather attractive Anya bags were given out containing rather nice Molton Brown accessories, socks, eyeshade, etc. All of the contents had nice finishing details, particularly the socks tied with brown string. Once the cabin door had closed, a quick glance around the cabin revealed five out of the 14 seats occupied for the flight. Also I noticed the FIRST cushions which were added during the last remodelling.

We pushed back on schedule and the familiar 80’s safety video started, re-edited with clips of the flatbed Club World cabin. Throughout, one of the flight attendants stood by the wardrobe between 1A and 1K during which the man in 1A started inviting her for dinner latter, asking what she looks like with nothing on, and so on. Most surprising to say the least, and quite funny in a way yet embarrassing at the same time. Only a fellow traveller in 2K acknowledged the conversation by rolling his eyes at me at one point during the more saucy bits!

The crew ensured the screens were pushed down for takeoff, eventhough there was no mention of it in the safety demo video for First passengers, and we lined up for a 27L departure and then a turn out sharply to the North a few miles after takeoff. The quietness of sitting in the nose of a 747-400 is surreal. Even when hurtling down the runway at a terrific speed, the noise seems quieter than sitting in a car on a highway. Then as if by magic, the aircraft gracefully takes to the air, still with no major increase in noise. It is only when the higher altitudes are gained, say around 10,000 feet and the heavy aircraft accelerates does the noise start to increase. It think what adds to the whole experience, especially as the aircraft makes its turns, is the space all around you as these events unfold which contributes to a wonderful sense of luxury and opulence, while looking out of around four windows.

As we headed North West over the Manchester area, Menu’s were distributed. Lunch was the main meal for this flight due to the timing of the flight.

I must admit I was slightly disappointed after a quick glance through the menu as I was expecting steak to be one of the main courses. I had done a little homework looking at airlinemeals.net and therefore had seen wonderful pictures of Michel Rou* Filet Mignon (I think) however sadly it was not on the menu. Maybe the way back in September, I hoped.

Canapes were distributed while we made our selections. At this point I had a blanket wrapped around my legs and feet as it was quite cold, although it did warm up when we reached altitude.

As highlighted in the menu, I chose the salmon, salad with a balsamic vinegar (my favourite dressing – Caesar – was not available), the Lamb rogan josh, strawberry cheesecake and cheese and biscuits. The crew member looked at me as if I had two heads when I stated I wanted in fact, five courses which I didn’t think was unreasonable, as this was after all FIRST, the aircraft’s fourth cabin – at least the food can differentiate it from Club. Still it was agreed that I could have what I requested.

Shortly after making selections, as we headed over the Isle of Man, my walnut veneer table was layed with a cloth, salt and pepper grinders, and a basket of bread, together with the cutlery. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could return to metal cutlery one day?

The Menu comprised of the following:

----------
Starters
----------

Loch Fyne smoked salmon with dill-flavoured crčme fraiche

Goat cheese and butternut squash terrine with red onion marmalade

White bean and roast tomato soup

Fresh salad leaves with your choice of dressing

--------
Main
--------

Lamb rogan josh with coriander mash

Lobster fish cakes with a light shellfish sauce, stir-fried spinach and vegetables

Fresh pasta with your choice of cherry tomato and basil sauce or spinach and Parmesan cheese sauce

Grilled herb-coated chicken with a wild mushroom salad and basil dressing

------------------
Desert and Cheese
------------------

Balsamic strawberry and Mascarpone cheesecake

Ice cream profiteroles with warm chocolate sauce

Wensleydale, Camembert, Hereford Hop, Fourme d’Ambert and unpasteurised Adrahan cheese

A basket of fresh fruit

A choice of
Espresso, cappuccino, coffee, decaffeinated coffee, tea or herbal tea

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The salmon was as good as any I have had on the ground. Nicely presented, a good start.

The very generous bowl of mixed salad leaves was next, which I did think was a little over dressed, as the dressing seemed to dominate all apart from the strongest tasting leaves. Some might say it would be enough to put you off Balsamic vinegar for life, however not too bad as I am a fan of salads anyway.

The main course was served next. We were over Northern Ireland at the time, so the pace of the meal was not too hectic. While I finished my Champagne, and had a refill during the first two course, my choice of wine with the entrée was requested. I opted for the Chateau Lynch-Bages 1995, Grand Cru Classe, Pauillac. Not being a wine connoisseur, it was the oldest of the three on offer, (let me know if you want the full listing), and therefore I thought a more vintage selection would be a good choice. It was indeed quite pleasant, not that I think one can tell that well at 37,000 feet anyway.

The lamb rogan josh was the best part of the meal so far. I must admit I was hesitant at the choice as I am a believer that mashed potato cooked badly can be a disaster. Thankfully they had it spot on. The lamb was very tender and quite a generous portion – together with the rogan josh sauce, and nan bread, made a rather interesting, quite satisfying combination.

My first dessert selection to be brought was the cheesecake, which was very pleasant. However the cheese and biscuits was very good. The selection was terrific, however the comment ‘They are not all for you, they are to be shared with everyone’ was not quite needed as I did realise there was far too much for one person. However, they were left with me for 30 minutes while I had a few more glasses of wine and a cup of tea, so if I had in fact polished them all off, I’m not quite sure what would have happened!

Everything was cleared away by the time we over flew Greenland. As people either started to settle down or sleep, all the windows were either closed, or requested to be closed by the crew. Then the blue ‘mood’ lighting from the ceiling was switched on.

I chose a video from ‘Firstview’ which showed the current selections of personal 8mm tapes they had this month. For those used to using camcorders which accept the 8mm or Hi8 format tapes, I expected something to ‘pop out’ from the armrest. In fact the tape was accepted a bit like the 8mm editing machines and conventional VHS VCR’s by pushing it through a flap, which was a bit of a fiddle as the cushion of the seat over hangs the space slightly. Having the luxury of stop starting the entertainment had far more appeal over what everyone behind me was watching on the fixed channel selection. I opted for ‘Risky Business’ a true classic and a personal favourite. During the movie, the crew kept coming around with the wine and water periodically which was a nice touch.

After the movie, and some 6 hours into the flight, I freshened up in the toilet. It was only when walking back to the galley area did the noise really start to build, and the reality of the quietness of sitting in FIRST becomes appreciated all the more. Furthermore, the toilet has a window in it with an LCD coating which become frosted when the door is opened, which was an interesting touch. The walnut wood panelling was continued in the toilet area, and I think the bathroom furniture, as a whole was upgraded in relation to normal aircraft toilet’s.

I returned briefly to my seat to change the movie and order a Bacon Roll. Expecting something like I had earlier in the Concorde lounge. It transpired that it was more like Nan Bread cut in half with some bacon slide in between. On reflection I think the tomato and Bean soup may have been a better choice.

My second movie choice was the movie Torque which was truly dreadful – eventhough I was expecting something like ‘The Fast and The Furious’ it was not. Must have been the worst movie I have ever seen. In fact I fell asleep, as I had the seat at about a 50 degee angle at this point. I awoke to the credits of the movie and discovered it was over, much to my delight.

At this point, I started to get a headache, so, even though it was only just after 8pm UK time, I tried to sleep. In fact I dozed, occasionally checking the moving map and only woke myself up when we had around an hour to go.

I was offered some cake or sandwiches prior to landing, however really didn’t feel like them what with my splitting headache by this point a still quite a full feeling from lunch. Once all the window shades were open, the extremely bright cloudless Arizona sky was quite disorientating, especially after sitting for the last 5 hours in absolute darkness and only made me feel worse. However, as the breathtaking rugged desert terrain passed close by outside, the anticipation of the landing made me feel a little better.

It is easy to forget just how big Phoenix actually is – and also just how flat!

Soon the America West A320’s and 757’s were coming into view as we made our final approach into Phoenix to make a very smooth landing.

As we disembarked, apart from the man who lost his credit card down the side of the folding table, the crew stopped Upper deck Club and lower deck aft of the stairs, from disembarking so we could get off first, which was quite impressive I thought and quite a bit of logistics to organise as everyone was keen to get off after 10 and half hours.

Phoenix is an absolute delight of an airport to pass through. Modern well designed, definitely my favourite western gateway out of LAX and SFO to enter the US. Certainly recommended!

(See the return trip below!)
great recap!!!
Old Mar 25, 2006, 4:40 pm

I can never get enough of these BA FIRST reports!
Old Mar 25, 2006, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by humanoid94
Well, this one is a few years old, and just revived by someone who has been reviving oodles of posts today.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by humanoid94
They do make interesting reading and funnily enough I read this report through for no particular reason at the end of last week before it was bumped!

PS: If you like this one read my latest two F reports (shameless plug but the poster asked )
LHR-CPT-LHR
LHR-IAD
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
This was a great report! Pity I didn't read it in a more timely manner. And yes, Fraser, I like your reports too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.