Wiki Posts
Search

Off to Honolulu

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Off to Honolulu

I’m off on my second trip of 2021. And to be frank, I’m pretty excited to be traveling again. My client requested an in person meeting as we haven’t seen each other live in over a year due to her maternity leave and then COVID.

But before we go - let’s first rewind 72 hours before departure.

In order to bypass Hawaii’s mandatory 10 day daily check-in quarantine policy, one must go to www.travel.Hawaii.gov/#/welcome ~ and enter their trip information, fill out a health questionnaire (no sooner than 24 hours before the flight) and upload several documents that include a personal photo and a negative COVID test - no older than 72 hours .....and from an “approved” testing site.

So just to be sure I had the results uploaded in time, I scheduled two testing appointments: one at Walgreens and the other at Rite-Aid.

In line at Walgreens. Several others with the same agenda.

First self-administered test.

I then headed over to Rite-Aid for my second test.

Not as busy.

Second self-administered test completed.

...and if for some reason I didn’t receive either of these test results back in time for my flight, I secured an appointment from GoHealth at SFO: a rapid testing site on level 1 of the International terminal at the testing rate of $250.00. That could get expensive for a family on holiday.

..but that wouldn’t be necessary as I uploaded my negative results and received my official “you can enter Hawaii” QR code.

A note about connecting through SFO: in order to be eligible for the Rapid test at the airport, according to United’s 1K desk and their web site your trip must originate from SFO. Huh? Okay, no worries. I simply booked two PNR’s: 1. BFL-SFO RT. 2. SFO-HNL RT.

Departure Day.

As SFO is my closest West Coast Airport with rapid testing, I “connected” through there. I would have done this regardless just to avoid the LAX “sign-your-life-away” 10-day mandatory quarantine.

As it turned out, this was to be a good decision as Interstate 5 over the Sierra Nevadas to Los Angeles was closed due to snow and ice.

With this cold Alaskan storm hitting most of the state of California, I made the easy 20-minute drive in light rain up the valley highway to a virtually empty terminal.

I was through security in just a couple of minutes as there was only one other person in line.

Flight 5326 Gate 5
BFL - SFO CRJ 200 (Yuck) Seat 1B
6:30am - 7:48am Scheduled
6:23am - 7:19am Actual

Can these planes get any smaller? I can’t wait until SkyWest retires these birds or brings back the E175 on this route.

No PDB. No service at all for the bumpy 42 minute flight. Which was fine. I answered a few emails from the weekend and before I knew it we were on approach to SFO.

We arrived 26 minutes early and 3 minutes later we were at Gate F7.

Waiting for my Green Tag bag.

Unlike my trip 10 days ago, SFO was bustling pretty good this morning.

Not expecting much in way of a proper meal on my Honolulu flight, I headed over to SF Giants Clubhouse, a “Priority Pass Lounge” for breakfast.

I chose the Clubhouse; they also have a very good Eggs Benedict. Or should I say, had - before their COVID modified limited menu. Bad choice of a meal. Should have left and gone to the Centurion Lounge.

Okay, a Bloody Mary made things better. Hey, after all, it’s a travel day!

After my breakfast I headed over to Gate F16, (United’s Hawaii pre-clearance station) to have my documentation reviewed and state of Hawaii issued QR code scanned. Once completed, United provided me with a wrist band which allows me to-skip-the-line once we land in Hawaii and head right out of the airport without any additional screenings.

Once I received my wrist band, I walked over to the Centurion Lounge to do a little work.

At T -20, I headed over to Gate F22. Boarding had already commenced using two jet ways. I walked up, scanned my BP and made the left to First Class.

When we originally started talking about this meeting in November, I was hoping to fly N777UA - only for nostalgic reasons as it was the first 777 put into commercial service on June 7, 1995. United had been using it on this route, but some time last month after I had booked, United put it in storage... IN CHINA! So it’s N773UA instead. 1 of 8 in this configuration and the one that had an engine break apart in flight on Valentine’s Day, 2018. Yikes.

Flight 2380 Gate F22
SFO - HNL - Boeing 777-200 Backwards Seat 1L
10:55am - 2:29pm Scheduled
10:55am - 2:30pm Actual

Home for the next 5.5 hours. Very pleased to see that United is still using Saks Fifth Avenue Bedding. Some of the most comfortable pillows in the sky.

No PBD. I did confirm that this has been nixed. After a 29-minute taxi out to 28L, we were wheels up for our 4:42 hour flight.

I just don’t know what to say about the service today other than it was simply awful. Not sure if it was driven by United’s new “Leave or Retirement“ offering but it sure seemed to be the conversation with the FA’s.

Once in the air, Veronica came by and took our food orders: Carved Chicken on Italian Flatbread Blue Label sandwich or choice of one of United’s snack boxes.

To my surprise, the Blue Label sandwich was delivered before our drink orders were taken.

As I passed on this sandwich on my last trip, so I thought I’d try it on this one - all 680 calories of it. It was horrible, dry, and tasteless. I had heartburn the rest of the day.

...and then our drink orders were taken and delivered. Honest.

I ordered a glass of sparkling wine. This France JP. Cheney was literally the worst glass of wine. Possibly the worst glass (plastic) I ever had.

So I ordered a can of Minute Maid Cranberry in hopes it would doctored the taste for the better. It didn’t. So I just drank the cranberry straight.

I pulled the shades, turned on the movie, “Richard Jewel” and settled in for the Pacific crossing. On other flights, mini Dasani water were offered. Not on this flight.

Not HNL, but on approach to HNL.

We arrived right on schedule to a very rainy island.

And to Gate G3 shortly after.

Upon disembarking, there were officers outside the gate directing us to two different lanes. If you had the wrist band you were sent down the left and on your way without any screening - if you didn’t, well I don’t know where they went.

Terminal remodeling coming along nicely.

Have always liked the outdoor connecting breezeway.

I made the 5 minute walk over to the Rental Car Center, bypassed the counters and took the elevator up to the 4th floor where I found the Avis Preferred desk closed. So I took the elevator back down to the Rental Center. With only one other in the Preferred lane I only waited a few minutes. The friendly agent confirmed my state issued QR code and provided me with my keys and documentation. I then suggested that they put closed on all the “This Way to Preferred” signs. I found my Jeep in space 86, I adjusted the mirrors and headed down the H1 in a downpour to the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Up next: A different Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Last edited by glasman19; Jan 28, 2021 at 8:25 pm Reason: Edit
Old Jan 26, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Thanks for posting. I live on the North Shore of O'ahu so know you arrived in a heavy downpour. We are having our winter weather this week.
I'm looking forward to your report on the Hilton Hawaiian Village as I have a reservation for a two night stay cation there in March. (staycations are for local people when we stay overnight in a hotel and can have very good rates).
Old Jan 28, 2021, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR - awesome that you can clear documents at Sfo to get wrist band and fast track at hnl! I’m looking forward to more :-)
Old Jan 28, 2021, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

I love the The Hilton Hawaiian Village! I loved it a little more when Conrad and Barron owned it, but I still love this grand property. Sure there are better properties on the Island - but I keep coming back all these years later as I have fond memories of bringing my, then, young girls and their friends to the resort. This visit is different; it's an eye opener, I wasn't prepared.

I booked an Ocean Front and was notified upon check-in that I was upgraded to a corner Diamond Head view room. I was also notified that the only tower on the property that is open was the Rainbow Tower - oh, and none of the resort's restaurants or bars are open and parking is "self" - as they have no valet. Food is available across the street at the Rainbow Bazzar.

Record rain still coming down.

Gorgeous view, but wow this room and tower is tired.

I dropped my bags then headed out to the ABC store for water and supplies. I then picked up a Round Table pizza for an early dinner. I stayed in and enjoyed the storm and finalized meeting details and called it a night.

Honolulu had record rains during my visit. They recorded more rain in one day than my hometown gets annually.

I woke at 3am still on PST. I tossed and turned and stared at the ceiling until I decided to get up and go climb KoKo Crater since my meeting wasn't until 11.

I arrived at the trail head just before dawn. I was excited to to climb the 1058 railroad ties as I have climbed The Incline in Manitou Springs, CO with my daughters on several occasions when Mrs. Glasman and I are in Colorado visiting.

Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve in the distance - which was closed.

After my hour long up and back trek, I nursed my trembling legs by taking a drive out to see Robin's Nest of Magnum PI fame. Rumor has it, the compound will be the future vacation home of previous President Obama.

Time to head back to the HHV to get ready for my meeting.

We arranged to meet at Restaurant 604 by the Arizona Memorial for a working lunch.

...which claimed to have the Best Bloody Marys in Hawaii.

Ok, we will be the judge of that.

Wonderful bay front views from our table.

Adequate cocktail menu.

Workable Lunch Menu

Again great views. 😃 No photos of our meal as we had our work spread all over the table.

After a successful and extended meeting, my work colleague completed 604's contact trace form. We said our goodbyes and agreed to meet up in Dallas in April.

I then headed back to the HHV to explore the property and catch up on work.

After a quick change of clothes, I went out to explore a mostly deserted, but beautiful resort. Layers of dust in the Rainbow Tower Restaurant.

No beach towels... but a resort fee?

Rainbow Tower, est. 1968. Where we ALL were staying.

Hau Tree Bar, closed.

The famous beach front Tropics Bar.....

Pad Locked.

With 95% of the HHV stores closed and most vacant, Louis Vuitton wasn't one of them.

Tapas Bar - Closed and dusty.

I do love the posted timeline of the history of the resort located on the North side of the closed Tapas Tower. Better than Wikipedia.

Kuhio Tower. Closed. Dirty.

I could go on. I am so amazed at what this pandemic has done to our economy, especially Hawaii's! What is normally a bustling resort, is now a victim of our current state. I'm guessing the HHV is operating at 8-10% employment, that is 100's of local jobs. I don't know how they are keeping afloat. I cant wait to return in better times.

Next. Back to California; United really out-performs.

Last edited by glasman19; Jan 28, 2021 at 8:43 pm Reason: Edit
Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Enjoying your TR so far! Is that an i8 in your first post?
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

I woke up to a spectacular sunrise in paradise. I showered, collected my things and headed to Avis

After dropping off my car, I made the 6 minute walk over to the terminal. I started to head to the checkpoint but was busted for not sending my bag through Ag inspection; I thought that was only for checked bags.

After successfully receiving my Ag sticker I headed over to the checkpoint.

Upon arrival at the checkpoint, it was closed.

The terminal was so deserted the lights were off.

Continued my walk past Delta check-in.

Arrived at checkpoint 4 to find it closed as well.

Finally made it to checkpoint 3 which was open and all clear in pre-check.

Just a few minutes later I was in the terminal headed to the United Club.

A pit stop for a picture by the Cultural Garden and a restroom break.

Very Eurpopean-esque hallway.

Including a modern faucet with built in dryer.

Almost to G Gates and my first glimpse at today's ride from the connecting breezeway.

Walking past my departure gate.

and arrival to the United Club...

CLOSED! Can't believe they open so late.......8:30am? What about us early travelers?

Once open, I had a small snack prior to boarding.

Yogurt Parfait; a guaranteed tasty breakfast in comparison to the questionable blue label offerings.

January 27, 2021
Gate G1 Boeing 777, Seat 4K
HNL-SFO
9:50am-4:48pm scheduled
9:44am-4:40pm actual

At T+10 headed to gate where boarding had already commenced. Two jetways were used for boarding. I scanned my PD and made the left turn to, what I feel, is the best seat in the configuration.

4F.

WOW! What a difference a couple of days makes. This crew was absolutely outstanding! To be honest, one of the best domestic flights I have had in some time.

No need to repeat it, no PDB.

Once in the air, the crew started their 4 plus hours of stellar service. First, by taking our drink orders then providing us our meal options, finally continually offering snacks and drinks throughout the flight.

There was no doubt in my mind that I was going to pass on the blue label sandwich this leg. I opted for the Tapas box; everything you see here is fewer calories than a blue label sandwich.

Once we started our descent into SFO we were greeted by a significant storm.

We were treated to a rare Westerly landing and flew over the City and SFO.

Stunning view of Oakland.

In line to land on 19L. In all of my years of traveling I have NEVER landed on this runway. We arrived 8 minutes early and taxied for another 7 before arriving at gate F19. As I disembarked I made it a point to thank the FA's for a fantastic flight. I then headed over to the Centurion Lounge for dinner.

The friendly lounge associates made me a plate of chicken thighs and cauliflower and the bartender brought me a Bushmills and Ginger ale with a twist of lime; so refreshing and relaxing after a long flight.

At T-20 I walked over to Gate F10 for my final leg home.
Gate F10 5335 CRJ200 (yuck) Seat 1B
SFO-BFL
6:30pm-7:34pm Scheduled
6:25pm-7:24 Actual

From United's largest aircraft, the 777, to their partners' smallest CRJ200 in one trip.

Quick 40 minutes wheels up to wheels down flight. FA had to remain seated due to the turbulent flight down the valley.

Mrs. Glasman sent this text letting me know that she was tracking my flight and couldn't wait for me to get home.

We arrived into BFL 10 minutes early at Gate 5. Shortly after arrival I had my green tagged bag and was headed down the valley highway home.

Thanks for spending a couple of days with me. I'll be back when I head off to Colorado via ORD to spend some time with my daughter skiing at Copper and Beaver Creek Resorts.

Last edited by glasman19; Jan 29, 2021 at 11:30 am Reason: Edit
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Enjoying your TR so far! Is that an i8 in your first post?
No. Not much of a fan of the I8’s.

Last edited by glasman19; Jan 28, 2021 at 11:34 pm
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by glasman19
No. Not much of a fan of the I8’s.
Gotcha, I didn't recognize the steering wheel so thought that might be it. Great TR! Hopefully you get some snow for your Beaver Creek trip. I was in Breck last weekend and will be in Vail next weekend and they are severely lacking in the snow department.
glasman19 likes this.

Last edited by wakesetter93; Jan 29, 2021 at 7:50 am
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

In line to land on 19L. In all of my years of traveling I have NEVER landed on this runway. We arrived 8 minutes early and taxied for another 7 before arriving at gate F19. As I disembarked I made it a point to thank the FA's for a fantastic flight.
A couple of days ago, during an afternoon break in the rain, I was outside in the bubbling hot water, watching SFO approaches to what I figured would be on the 19s. Planes were coming in almost as if they were on an OAK arrival from the north, but at lower altitude, and then they made their right turns a couple of minutes after flying overhead.

Thanks for the report!
glasman19 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:34 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Great report. Sad to see HI tourism in such a depressed state.
glasman19 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:26 pm

I enjoyed your report! Thanks for taking the time to post.
glasman19 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:44 pm

Nice TR. Thanks.
The food on your flight to HNL (similar to that in your previous TR) looks absolutely disgusting.
The HHV looks like a Holiday Inn (not in a good way).
glasman19 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Great report and what a beautiful sunrise on your last day!
glasman19 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR - menu prices seemed very reasonable!
glasman19 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great report as always. How depressing to see the tired and empty HHV.

.... one of the best domestic flights I have had in some time.
Everything is relative but what a sorry comment on the state of today's UA when you celebrate getting a crew that provides good service despite UA's pathetic catering constraints.
Dunno, but no PDB and a choice of either a blue label sandwich or Tapas box and that's the best domestic flight in some time?

Such a comedian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.