Search

Off to Honolulu

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The cheapos can add to my trip report!
I see mainliners are matching. United being one.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I would be willing to bet that there are a lot of service employees whopping at the news of SWA airfare sale to Hawaii! "Cheapos be damn full speed ahead" !!!!
Originally Posted by glasman19
OMG, now every tourist is a cheapo. The economy will crumble.
glasman19 and RDUdrifter like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by glasman19
are these airlines making their money on cargo deliveries? Maybe more cargo and less pax?
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
there are a lot of service employees whopping at the news
Hmmm...typo, or perhaps something the service employees have planned for all the Cheapos upon their arrival (that'll teach them to stay off the island)!
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I live on the North Shore of O'ahu and just returned from a two night "staycation," at the Rainbow Tower at the HHV. I had never stayed at that iconic structure and enjoyed it very much. The room was very big and nicely furnished. I had chosen the view over the marina and toward the Waianae Mts so I could watch the planes at HNL airport with my binoculars. Of course there were views of the ocean, too. The hotel grounds were very nice and well kept, and a few restaurants in the surrounding shops were open. For the most part they aren;t posh, which isn;t my style anyway, but food was good. I especially enjoyed my Japanese meal at Hatsuhana, and the fish and chips at Blue Water was excellent. Of course the Waikiki version of tourism is a bit passe compared to the big resorts with their golf courses on the other islands, but still, mornings in Waikiki have a special air of tranquility and beauty.
This is a good time to visit Hawaii, if you are OK with the Safe Travels program, because there aren't crowds and you are really helping the local economy and the hotel workers (who I hope will soon be labeled essential workers so they can get the vaccine). Hawaii's current relations to tourism is complex, as it would have to be when the numbers kept climbing for so many years causing wear, tear, and strain to the island infrastructure.
Personally, I love seeing people enjoy the islands and you can sure see that when they are at the beach.
NYC Flyer and Braniff like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HawaiiFlyerDC8
I live on the North Shore of O'ahu and just returned from a two night "staycation," at the Rainbow Tower at the HHV. I had never stayed at that iconic structure and enjoyed it very much. The room was very big and nicely furnished. I had chosen the view over the marina and toward the Waianae Mts so I could watch the planes at HNL airport with my binoculars. Of course there were views of the ocean, too. The hotel grounds were very nice and well kept, and a few restaurants in the surrounding shops were open. For the most part they aren;t posh, which isn;t my style anyway, but food was good. I especially enjoyed my Japanese meal at Hatsuhana, and the fish and chips at Blue Water was excellent. Of course the Waikiki version of tourism is a bit passe compared to the big resorts with their golf courses on the other islands, but still, mornings in Waikiki have a special air of tranquility and beauty.
This is a good time to visit Hawaii, if you are OK with the Safe Travels program, because there aren't crowds and you are really helping the local economy and the hotel workers (who I hope will soon be labeled essential workers so they can get the vaccine). Hawaii's current relations to tourism is complex, as it would have to be when the numbers kept climbing for so many years causing wear, tear, and strain to the island infrastructure.
Personally, I love seeing people enjoy the islands and you can sure see that when they are at the beach.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
HawaiiFlyerDC8 great to see more positive posts being made, thank you. I think travel will slowly open to the islands more in particular when proof of vaccination is accepted in lieu of testing, which is also a added cost to the vacation. We are thinking about a long weekend in May/June.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton
Will be on May 6th on AA123 (1D) to HNL staying at the Pink Palace...can't wait to see a less crowded Waikiki and hope for a great time. I will report as well.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:14 am

Talking

I paid $1600 for my AA flight...LOL!!!!
offerendum likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Well aren’t we special? It’s that kind of repulsive attitude from locals that turns off so many and makes us never want to return to endure any more fake aloha. Hawaii ain’t that special. As someone who lived in Hawaii, built a home and made a fortune when we sold, we were so done with Hawaii that we have never willingly gone back and spent any more time there. There are dozens of far nicer and more enjoyable and hospitable places in the world to visit and spend money.
I have visited at the begin of the 90's and found it to be run down, over priced and mega attitude from the locals and most tourists...with the Pandemic going on we were looking for my Birthday-Get-Away (May) and it was in between Miami or Waikiki...the better half has not been to Waikiki so we decided to go Hawaii. I just hope hope hope...lol! Normally we would go to Bali! We need some Beach...greetings from Vail!
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BavarianFlyer
I have visited at the begin of the 90's and found it to be run down, over priced and mega attitude from the locals and most tourists...with the Pandemic going on we were looking for my Birthday-Get-Away (May) and it was in between Miami or Waikiki...the better half has not been to Waikiki so we decided to go Hawaii. I just hope hope hope...lol! Normally we would go to Bali! We need some Beach...greetings from Vail!
As someone with little Hawaii experience (I've likely not been to Oahu much more than 100 times over the past 30 years), here are my limited observations.

Hawaii is an "aspirational" trip for so many, and for most all but the West Coast of the US, involves lengthy and tiring travel. So, these couples / families arrive exhausted and expecting "paradise." Well, we all know that the only paradise in Waikiki is the one in your pocket, that you'd roll when playing craps. I've seen overtired families argue, clearly not have fun, and so on. My earliest visions of a Honolulu arrival involved TV or movies where the kiss and the lei as you walk down the jet stairs was how one would arrive. My earliest actual arrival did not reflect this, nor did the subsequent arrivals.

Since you've last been (and subject to whatever may reopen or hasn't permanently closed by May), you'll find that parts of Waikiki have been substantially cleaned up (i.e., the first block of Lewers St., some of Kuhio) and there's a lot of upscale shopping. You will also find that there is an excellent dining scene in the city (once you leave Waikiki).

This has been my long weekend easy getaway for nearly 30 years. The weather has only been really foul on a couple of the trips, it is easy to hang out and just walk around, or get a car and leave the big city, have food and accommodation as luxe or non-luxe as I choose on the particular trip, My experiences with locals, including the service industry folks, has generally been positive.

Meanwhile, I'd rather get some of the grit back and be able to once again enjoy a cheap late night katsu curry rice plate after imbibing than having 25 places to buy a $3000 purse within a 15 minute walk of the hotel.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by BavarianFlyer
Enjoy not only Waikiki, its beach but, as Eastbay1K recommends, explore the whole island of Oahu!

David

p.s. and still enjoy the snow and surroundings of Vail!
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
As someone with little Hawaii experience (I've likely not been to Oahu much more than 100 times over the past 30 years), here are my limited observations.

Hawaii is an "aspirational" trip for so many, and for most all but the West Coast of the US, involves lengthy and tiring travel. So, these couples / families arrive exhausted and expecting "paradise." Well, we all know that the only paradise in Waikiki is the one in your pocket, that you'd roll when playing craps. I've seen overtired families argue, clearly not have fun, and so on. My earliest visions of a Honolulu arrival involved TV or movies where the kiss and the lei as you walk down the jet stairs was how one would arrive. My earliest actual arrival did not reflect this, nor did the subsequent arrivals.

Since you've last been (and subject to whatever may reopen or hasn't permanently closed by May), you'll find that parts of Waikiki have been substantially cleaned up (i.e., the first block of Lewers St., some of Kuhio) and there's a lot of upscale shopping. You will also find that there is an excellent dining scene in the city (once you leave Waikiki).

This has been my long weekend easy getaway for nearly 30 years. The weather has only been really foul on a couple of the trips, it is easy to hang out and just walk around, or get a car and leave the big city, have food and accommodation as luxe or non-luxe as I choose on the particular trip, My experiences with locals, including the service industry folks, has generally been positive.

Meanwhile, I'd rather get some of the grit back and be able to once again enjoy a cheap late night katsu curry rice plate after imbibing than having 25 places to buy a $3000 purse within a 15 minute walk of the hotel.
I am actually going with a positive attitude but will not expect too much so I will be fine...lol! I know a lot has changed but living (before) on the East Coast or from Munich this is an extensive flight and high cost. For that I reminded myself of my not so stellar experience of Hawaii and went to South East Asia, Africa or Australia for less or the same $ spent and stellar experience. I am actually excited to go and see Hawaii again. All we need is a comfy bed ant The Royal Hawaiian should deliver in that part. We rented a convertible to go see the Island, explore the food trucks on the road side, swim on white sand beaches...but still have the convenience of Waikiki if we want to.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Great report--even greater is that I just got home from a weekend in Honolulu and pretty much replicated your trip to the "T" (minus UA).

1. I flew AA to HNL and back on their 772 service. Way above and beyond the crap UA served you. We had full hot meals (albeit on one tray) with three entree choices.
2. I too stayed at HHV, in the Rainbow tower too, and also an identical room to yours with the same view. LOL I was in room 400.
3. I flew out last night from gate G3 and I was at that Le 'Ahi Market too. I choose the window seat and was looking squarely at the nose of most likely the same UA 772 that flies to SFO.
4. I also went to walgreens for the same test you got and got my results in 4 hours.
5. I saw that pizza...was it the Round Table across the street? I called them one night and they wanted $27 for a medium 14" pizza. I LOL'd at him and said no thanks.
6. The weather was crap and I was wading through the local streets due to flash flood.
7. The gym was nice but quite a hike to the the other tower.
8. I waited 30 minutes to check in. There were only two agents working the priority lanes.
9. I asked for a late check out and they gave me 2 PM. I should be grateful as anytime later they wanted $175 until 6 pm. LOL
10. The property is too big and too crowded with local restaurants that are only half open at best and close really early. There is no more HNL in my future or Hawaii in general. I've been three times, it's beautiful yes but I get more bang for my travel buck in FL resort cites. Easier, quicker, cheaper.

Mahalo!

SFO777 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thumbs up

An interesting report ... thanks for compiling it. I also found the subsequent comments enlightening, and a lot of the comments certainly resonated with us.

From where we live, it takes up to 3 days to get to Hawaii, but it became one of those “must try that” events. We ended up doing 2 trips to Honolulu and having decided we weren’t really moved by it (apart from nice warm weather) we gave Oahu a shot. From a Brit’s perspective, it was a LONG way to go for an expensive and not-very-special experience. For those based on the US West Coast, I’m sure you see things differently! There’s a lot more places on the Planet that, for us, deliver more of what we prefer.

TR: JER-HNL with BA and AA by two Senior Citizens

TR: Older people travel too - JER-HNL again!

Aloha again, to OGG with BA & AA in the good seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.