Culture, food and gelato - 3 weeks in Bella Italia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Gelato: Guidi Como

This was a special moment as it was the last time this vacation I bought a gelato. I didnīt plan it but saw this sigh and thought it looked trustworthy.

Inside the bins which are often a good sign.

The flavors:

What I got was wonderful gelato, in my eyes it compared with adresses at the Dissapore list. A real discovery.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Como: Basilica di San Fedele

San Fedele is located directly between houses.

The church is especially famous for its choir.

Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Como: Museo civico

We didnīt have many remaining time in Como but were in need of a toilet. As we couldnīt find a Mc Donalds or something else we decided to visit a museum. On Google Maps we found Museo archeologico Paolo Giovio.

The museum is not only an archaeological museum, there are many different thing to see.

A last view in the courtyard and garden:
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Flight MXP - DUS

Time for the end. We returned the car, checked our bags (line in front of the Economy counter was horror, Business class was only 2 persons. Security was fast and we stood in the Lufthansa Lounge.
As 1 year ago when the lounge re-opened I was quite impressed. Design is modern and choices are very good considering itīs a Schengen-lounge. Quality of the food was acceptable, but donīt let expect too much.

A Little bit annoying was the alarm which sounded from time to time.

The flight was pretty standard and in time. At DUS I was soooo happy to see this sign:

But OK, in the end baggage came…….
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This was my vacation to Italy with many nice meals, gelatos and a lot of culture.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:05 pm

Wonderful trip report! Thank you for sharing. Did you mention what are your three favorite flavors of Gelato? How is your cholesterol?
offerendum and callmedtop like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I'm so glad I was finally able to catch up on this report! It was absolutely fantastic. But it was a terrible idea on my part to read it during meal time, especially when flying an United flight.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LinLant
Wonderful trip report! Thank you for sharing. Did you mention what are your three favorite flavors of Gelato? How is your cholesterol?
Thanks! I guess cholesterol is still as bad as it was before My favorite flavors ware White choclate (not available very often) and pistachio. Iīm always happyto find unusula flavors like Pear and Parmaregio
LinLant likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dat4life
I'm so glad I was finally able to catch up on this report! It was absolutely fantastic. But it was a terrible idea on my part to read it during meal time, especially when flying an United flight.
Thanks! Itīs not always a great idea to read a TR with many food pics
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Thanks offerendum for your great TR. Since you were touching my hometown Bergamo I followed with interest your TR from the beginning, I'm an expat living almost on the other side of the planet since the last decade and despite the fact that I go back Italy for short periods at least twice a year, there is always a bit of melancholia and emotion when I see pics of my homeland. Definitely you made me curious to try "da Vittorio" one of my next trips, I've lived near there for more than forty years and despite the fact that Vittorio is a culinary institution since forever in Bergamo, I've never managed to eat there.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobFF68
Thanks offerendum for your great TR. Since you were touching my hometown Bergamo I followed with interest your TR from the beginning, I'm an expat living almost on the other side of the planet since the last decade and despite the fact that I go back Italy for short periods at least twice a year, there is always a bit of melancholia and emotion when I see pics of my homeland. Definitely you made me curious to try "da Vittorio" one of my next trips, I've lived near there for more than forty years and despite the fact that Vittorio is a culinary institution since forever in Bergamo, I've never managed to eat there.
Thanks! I know the dining situation. Near my hometown are some restaurants I would surely visit on vacation but I never managed to eat there so far.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Choices were not extensive, but everything of high Quality (hot choices with eggs, sausages, grilled tomatoes etc. not shown.

Made to order dishes were great, especially the gelato they served with the waffles and on request with their Pancakes.

Perfect was the service at breakfast, you never waited for new cuttlery and plates were removed immediately.
This breakfast looks delicious

Originally Posted by offerendum
The choices were a little bit better than the day before, quality on one level.

Made to order dishes were OK.
The breakfast was no reason to really complain about but far from great. If I compare it with the Four Seasons worlds are between each other.
really disappointing looking breakfast
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
This breakfast looks delicious

really disappointing looking breakfast
Excactly! The good and the not so good.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just saw that Wintergarden by Caino lost its star. Very happy about after my meal there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.