Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Amateur Hour – or how two AA flights can vary greatly depending on the passenger load

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amateur Hour – or how two AA flights can vary greatly depending on the passenger load

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2003, 9:39 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AA in CA:

If the potshots come from people who are moderators on other boards...are they then tolerated?

Just curious...
</font>
My question exactly. Plato90s called me "irritating." I haven't be able to do anything for days now, I'm back on prozac, and have signed up for yet another self-esteem seminar

[This message has been edited by LLZ (edited 05-13-2003).]
Old May 13, 2003, 11:44 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by davistev:
Au Contraire my contrarian. I would like to think that there is another level of intelligence that some people have and some clearly do not. </font>
I would agree somewhat. But it has more to do with the ability to pass a calculus/chemistry/physics class. Some have the capacity to do so others don't. It has nothing to do with flying on an airplane.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
To be aware of ones surroundings is an intelligence that is highly valued.
</font>
Regarding air travel this is usually acquired by experience...i.e. rote, unless you're completely new to air travel in which case one could find out any and everything here on FlyerTalk. Perhaps those that don't travel often are busy doing other things.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Unfortunately, many travellers have tunnel vision and are extremely rude and selfish. perhaps this is a reflection of society.</font>
Indeed, especially the "flying too much" society that found this funny. I wonder how funny it would be if the amateurs were your Parents, Grandparents, etc??

[This message has been edited by LLZ (edited 05-13-2003).]
Old May 14, 2003, 8:07 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
Finally decided to make additional comments.

I would suggest that this thread is essentially FT in mini format.

The board started with a rather season group of travelers sharing tips.

As the board became more popular and well known, the makeup changed. In addition to the seasoned traveler, there is a segment of learners. i. e. "how do I get top level elite before I even fly on the airline?" and such.

The splits tend to occur along the "I'm a travel pro" / "How to work the system" / and "Precocious Newcomer" lines....
Old May 14, 2003, 9:27 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LLZ:
[B] Indeed, especially the "flying too much" society that found this funny. I wonder how funny it would be if the amateurs were your Parents, Grandparents, etc??
[B]</font>
Considering that TG was at least perfunctorily polite as the report is written my parents or grandparents probably wouldn'tve even known. Knowing my family, had someone been rude a verbal b!tchslap would've been delivered posthaste. Mimi and pop take care of themselves quite nicely, thank you.

This report was written for a SPECIFIC audience. Should you not agree with it's tone or flavor you're free not to read it, just as you are free to ignore an editorial you may disagree with or find offensive.
Old May 14, 2003, 1:33 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in COPENHAGEN, DENMARK
Well, at least TG kept her comments to herself in public and if venting them here serves as a pressure valve to avoid an air rage incident, then I think we have served the public interest .

While I agree with many of the stated frustrations, I actually prefer to fly on such occasions to non-"destination" destinations. Why? Because I compete with no other elites for upgrades and no "amateur" credit card mile person is going to get an XF DEN-OAK...and that leaves me plenty of time to work on the FC ladies and lads who know that I am the only top-tier on the plane .

May I humbly suggest another analysis and summation of this entire report, one with which I am only too familiar?:

IT SUCKS TO FLY HUNGOVER ESPECIALLY on an empty stomach!

BTW, FWIW, yesterday a guy asked me to move from 12D to 12B on a UA a320 ORD-DCA so he could sit next to his wife. After a moment's consideration, I assented. When the guy in 12C mentioned what an unfair trade that was, I told him that I needed the good karma to make up for a debt incurred the night before .

[This message has been edited by kokonutz (edited 05-14-2003).]
Old May 18, 2003, 12:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Gold, UCLA Alum ('96)
Whatever. I thought it was funny. The advice on "how to navigate airports and airport security" has been out for nearly TWO YEARS now (since 9/11); there are tons of signs, announcements, TV illustrations, etc. showing Maw and Paw how to prepare for security screening, and it amuses me that people still don't bother to look/read/listen and make the amateur mistakes that TG was alluding to.

Guess what? The people on this board are frequent flyers. Sometimes non-frequent-flyers irritate them. I'm a Type A and I freely admit to getting frustrated, irritated, and just plain annoyed at people who are inefficient and slow up the process to no end.

You may not be a frequent flyer, but that's not an excuse to be ignorant. There is a ton of information out there on how to travel smart - if all travelers (frequent or non) followed it, the lines at the terminals would be a heckuva lot shorter.

End of rant. Nice report. And if I catch any of you [edited] touchin' my stuff... I'll [edited] you.

- Sameer

------------------
- Sameer

"Didn't we just leave this party?"
www.liningup.net
Old May 18, 2003, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, Delta GLD, Hilton GLD
I thought it was a great trip report. Personally I love to board early and then watch people as they board. Some of the funniest things you have ever seen is amateurs boarding airplanes. This is a frequent flyer website or did I get redirected to the "Politically Correct Web-site for Fools".

------------------
dallasflyer
Old May 18, 2003, 9:47 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UAX@SFO:
On a related note, since we've just started premier boarding for all United Express flights (including the Brasilias) ex-SFO...</font>
OT: Kai, has that word made it to LAX yet?

TG, well done!

Old May 18, 2003, 9:58 pm

Oh no, not again... the terminator... I mean, the little dictator... I mean, the "moderator". Sean, have you locked up the other moderators in a room or something? NO one else seems to have as low a tolerance to free discussion as you do.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
However, some of the other posters here are crossing the line and taking personal potshots at both techgirl and yourself. THAT is a violation of the Terms Of Service and will not be tolerated. If it continues, this thread may sadly have to meet a premature end.

Thanks
Sean (B747-437B)

Trip Reports
</font>
Old May 19, 2003, 1:20 am
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kanebear:
Knowing my family, had someone been rude a verbal b!tchslap would've been delivered posthaste. </font>
Which just shows the audience you belong to...Jerry Springer!

Old May 19, 2003, 1:41 am
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kokonutz:
Well, at least TG kept her comments to herself in public and if venting them here serves as a pressure valve to avoid an air rage incident, then I think we have served the public interest .

While I agree with many of the stated frustrations, I actually prefer to fly on such occasions to non-"destination" destinations. Why? Because I compete with no other elites for upgrades and no "amateur" credit card mile person is going to get an XF DEN-OAK...and that leaves me plenty of time to work on the FC ladies and lads who know that I am the only top-tier on the plane .

May I humbly suggest another analysis and summation of this entire report, one with which I am only too familiar?:

</font>
Yes it does, but that's entirely another one's problem....not the "amateurs'."
Old May 19, 2003, 8:21 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Grasshopper:
it amuses me that people still don't bother to look/read/listen and make the amateur mistakes that TG was alluding to.

You may not be a frequent flyer, but that's not an excuse to be ignorant. There is a ton of information out there on how to travel smart - if all travelers (frequent or non) followed it, the lines at the terminals would be a heckuva lot shorter.

</font>
Heh...this weekend I had to kick people out of my (correctly assigned) seat TWICE. So my attitude has changed. Down with the amateurs! Or maybe just the illiterate--one had picked the boarding pass from the wrong flight to read, the other had read a six as a nine.

But when it comes to people who don't travel regularly, I'd far rather take a deep breath at the time and smile at them, then vent about it to a community who understands later. Then everybody smiles and nobody has a fit.
Old May 19, 2003, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by techgirl:

Along the way I have to dodge an obstacle course of morons who feel it is somehow appropriate to stop midway in the path of others to stare blankly at the ceiling (“oh honey, look… a roof… we are in the BIG city now”). </font>
Now in DIA they can be forgiven, but anywhere else .... I agree.

------------------

~ Glen ~

Come visit HERE the most ** FRIENDLY FORUM ** on FlyerTalk. No flame wars, no personal abuse, no substance abuse. Not much of anything really!
Old May 19, 2003, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MKE-MR:
But when it comes to people who don't travel regularly, I'd far rather take a deep breath at the time and smile at them, then vent about it to a community who understands later. Then everybody smiles and nobody has a fit.</font>
I'm glad somebody got my point. Unfortunately it seems like everyone is having a fit anyhow!
Old May 19, 2003, 9:06 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LLZ:
Which just shows the audience you belong to...Jerry Springer!

</font>
Ad hominem attack? Well I suppose as a last resort if one has tapped their resources

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.