Move over Alaska, Air Canada is the new Worst in North America airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Move over Alaska, Air Canada is the new Worst in North America airline

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Thanks for sharing your report on AC. Interesting to see how our neighbors up north live.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mkjr
what...no beauty in Canada? ....it's not like we are a gulag up here in YYZ...
To someone who grew up in Montral, T-O is indeed a gulag.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:55 am

As a BTV resident, YUL is just too close and too cheap to not fly out of. Sadly that means a lot of AC. I will say that the wine tapin the YUL MLL is pretty handy. I've filled up several nalgenes with drinkable new world reds from that tap.

And hey, at least you weren't on AC Rouge.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
And yet here you are, telling him in English

Don't worry, it is now mid-August and I can confirm that most of the greater Montreal area is down here in Old Orchard Beach, Maine, for the next two weeks.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:42 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by lionelhutzskis
As a BTV resident, YUL is just too close and too cheap to not fly out of. Sadly that means a lot of AC. I will say that the wine tapin the YUL MLL is pretty handy. I've filled up several nalgenes with drinkable new world reds from that tap.

Wait, there's a wine tap in YUL MLL? I only saw bottles. Then again, I've only visited the transborder MLL.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Say it ain't so. You are moving from beautiful SA?? Is this a temporary or permanent move?
It is so Most likely permanent... SA is great for so many things, but long term plans, not so much.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: FT
....i can not disagree there....well played.

granted i grew up in suburbs of YVR but probably one of the few that actually don't miss it...well, i miss the year round golf....

Originally Posted by SAtraveller
It is so Most likely permanent... SA is great for so many things, but long term plans, not so much.
if you ever want recs for the goolag YYZ, PM me...if that is where you end up.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

I don't think that looks good at all. To each their own of course.

Always enjoy SFO77 trip reports and this was one of the more entertaining one for comments.
Safe travels.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
I don't think that looks good at all. To each their own of course.
I would agree that it doesn't plate very attractively, however the quality of taste is pretty superior to most things offered in the North American market. Short ribs never look appealing to me, but on aircraft they tend to work pretty well.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:35 pm

How hard is it to screw up a pancake ?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 6:17 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Getting off the food comments, the biggest disappointment for me is the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge in LAX. When it was the Air New Zealand Koru Club, the upright fridges used to be filled with several varietals of New Zealand wines and charming staff that were representative of the Air NZ carrier.

I visited in April 2016 after the conversion from Koru Club to Maple Leaf Lounge and now it is just a large soulless space. The staff are surely. I was yelled at by a lounge dragon for taking photos of the entrance area (a semi-public area I might add). Those coolers brimming with the wines are now 70% empty, stocked with only a few tired cheap Canadian or Californian brands of wine.

Unfortunately, it has become the large contract lounge of LAX Terminal Two, absent of any real personality. The only nice part are the views and the upgraded chairs.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:25 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Thanks SFO777! As someone who has had to fly AC more than I care to remember, I am glad to see someone else share my antipathy towards them. For me, I always had problems checking in - I can't do it online nor at kiosks. The check in people are dumbfounded and no one who picks up the phone can explain it. It's the only airline in the whole world that doesn't accept my passport / nexus / GE info. I never fly them unless I have to - unfortunately it happens at least 3-4 X per year it seems. I really hope WestJet expands and follows either DL or AA in developing a real product and real network so AC may die the death it deserves. I'd rather fly Porter Q400s and forsake all miles even!
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by United_727
How hard is it to screw up a pancake ?
Not so hard.... You can burn it, using salt instead of sugar, baking it in olive oil...... But normally its not a dificult dish.....
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lionelhutzskis

789 Y (non preferred) must be almost as bad...
(having been rebooked on one when UA cancelled their SEATYO service, and all the preferred seats were taken.)
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Thanks for posting pics of the wonderful LAX AC Maple Leaf Lounge SFO777, it brings back fond memories...
I was there exactly 48hours before you and I may or may not be to blame for the drinking machine being out of order.
The subsequent queuing at Gate 27 for the flight to Maui was the other highlight of my trip.
For some reason I thought that AC was a pretty decent airline, but your report made me reconsider. On the other hand, a flight like this is almost necessary from time to time to make you appreciate your next AF La Premire LH F flight even more...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.