Being Lazy in Belize

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being Lazy in Belize

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Being Lazy in Belize

You know, I don't do boring well. My idea of a vacation is dodging around West Africa trying to get my way past corrupt border guards and enjoying even dodgier hotel cuisine. But, If you're going to go to every country sometimes you really need to bite the bullet and go to places you can relax...like Belize. I won't spoil too much here, but first if you're interested in my other trip reports:

I. London to Iran and Afghanistan in a mix of C, F, and LCCs
II. Above the Arctic Circle with UA/CO/LH and SK in whY, C, and F
III. Around the World in 40 Days for 40 Years
IV. 8 Places People Who Are Right in the Head Do Not Spend New Years
V. 12 Countries, 10 Airlines, 4 Islands, 27,080 miles, 11 Days
VI. 6 Countries in 6 Days - Caribbean Island Hopping and first AA Experience
VII. Guyana, Suriname, and French Guyana with an unexpected sidetrip to Caracas!
VIII. To Haïti - for vacation and a milage run!
IX. Around Senegal and West Africa
X. 4th Annual New Years in Dangerous Places - Libya Edition
XI. Kosovo and FYR Macedonia - Milage Run in United Business + TK/LH
XII. Washington to Peru and Machu Picchu on COPA and TACA
XIII. To Johannesburg...for 36 hours!
XIV. Here a Stan, there a Stan, everwhere a Stan Stan....
XV. Air Burkina, Air Cote d'Ivoire and 7 countries in West Africa
XVI. Turkey for Thanksgiving....with a side of Tajikistan, Serbia, Montenegro, and Moscow
XVII. Into the Heart of Darkness... Congo, Angola, Gabon, OH MY!
XVIII. HI! Four Islands, Lots of Planes, Beaches, and Convertibles
XIX. Plenty of Salt, Not Enough Oxygen...a Trip to Boliva, Colombia, and Ecuador
XX. Learning to Relax - Long Weekend in St Christopher and Nevis
XXI. You're spending New Years WHERE? IRAQ? (2009-2010)
XXII. Pineapples, croissants, and neon OH MY! A trip to Hawaii, Paris, Andorra, and Vegas
XXIII. South Pacific, Israel, Lebanon - 6 weeks - 71,500 miles - 24 countries
XXIV. Sundae bloody Sundaes...a 2014 United Year in Review
XXV. Lakes, Lemurs, and Lithuania: Horton Hears a Houthi!
XXVI. First Americans tour to North Korea 2005 - Arirang Mass Games
XXVII. Doing the Needful - Lufthansa Business US to Chennai
XXVII. C-ing things: Canada, Curry, Cameroon, CAR, Chad, Camels, Chengis Khan and China!
XXVIII. Learning my ABCs: Algeria, Bahama, Cuba and the Cubana IL-96
XXIX. Exploring ZMapp of West Africa...or how I got detained by the CDC[/B]
XXX. Transatlantic to Bangkok with United, Austrian, Air Canada, and Thai

Now, onto the main event...which is mostly about the flights, with a few pictures from the ground. I decided to try a relaxing vacation, and did just that...relax! Sitting in a hammock on the beach reading. Going for long walks on the beach. Eating lobster. Sleeping in. "doing" nothing. It was pure paradise! Now, onto the juicy details!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Being Lazy in Belize

I had a very long weekend coming up, and combined with the American Exec Platinum challenge it looked like a perfect time to get away to my 190th country visited - Belize! There were some excellent business class fares available, and even though they required an overnight in Dallas in both directions it looked like the perfect time.

I had always put off visiting Belize because I wanted to go for a week or more and get some serious diving in. However, with only a little over seven months left until my goal of visiting every country I opted for a shorter relaxing trip so that I had a but more intel for the next trip!

Put in a bit of a half day of work, then headed off to the Admirals Club for the first time in a few years to see what the upgraded food options were all about. There were pepperjack cheese cubes so I was happy...combine that with some decent brownies and some mushroom and brie soup, well, overall a very tasty and substantial snack:

Soon it was time to board the flight to Dallas for the overnight.

American flight 327
Washington DC, National (DCA) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Depart 15:40, Arrive 18:13, Flight Time: 3:33
Boeing 737-800, Registration N948NN, Manufactured 2014, Seat 5E
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 19,248
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,208,763

Despite at 3:40pm departure, it was a dinner flight. Other than London-Chicago a month prior, this was my first domestic American flight in a few years and I was curious to see how they would do compared to United. Was pleasantly surprised to get a new 737-800 with sky interior, and everything felt new and clean. I was also glad to see that wine is still poured in "big boy" glasses, but boo to sourcing split cashews from Smisek's Split Cashew Farm:

I had pre-ordered my meal online (a nice feature American offers so you can be disappointed in advance) and I went with the pasta...which was as bland as it looks and sounds. I had a couple bites, and passed on the rest in favour of more vino.

Mas vino and a pretty good chocolate chip cookie...but rather sad as a dessert:

Overall verdict? Just like United, it's a meal that you could get for under $10 in any workplace cafeteria. It's far from fine dining, but if you're busy and rushed it will do the job.

Spent a nice night at the Westin DFW. I felt a cold coming on, and the hotel shuttle driver was kind enough to take me a couple miles away to the nearest CVS for Sudafed...at no charge. Definitely high marks to this property on service! Woke up feeling quite a bit better, went to the airport a little early where I grabbed Starbucks (of course) then went straight to my gate.

American flight 2345
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Miami, Florida (MIA)
Depart 7:15, Arrive 11:01, Flight Time: 2:46
Boeing 737-800, Registration N809NN, Manufactured 2009, Seat 5E
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 20,369
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,209,884

Unfortunately, my flight attendant was pretty much asleep as well, and dumped my seatmate's pre-departure beverage in my lap. Ugh, fortunately it was "only" tea which wasn't really hot...and also didn't stain. She did apologize profusely at least.

I decided to go with the mimosa option...I was on vacation after all!

Another pre-ordered meal, the omelette. Fruit was dry and tasteless. I ate the eggs just for the protein, and left everything else behind...except a second and maybe third mimosa. Another blah and uneventful flight.

Didn't have very long in Miami, but since the American Express Centurion Lounge was on my way to the gate I stopped in for a few minutes and a celebratory glass of Veuve. The place was absolutely packed with families so I made a quick retreat on to my next flight.

American flight 2476
Miami, Florida (MIA) to Belize City, Belize (BZE)
Depart 12:35, Arrive 13:50, Flight Time: 2:15
Airbus A319, Registration N90024, Manufactured 2014, Seat 2C
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 21,136
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,210,651

Feet on the bulkhead is apparently done in a much more classy fashion on American, with fuzzy pink socks:

http://www.jasonaroundtheworld.com/w...4-768x1024.jpg

Fortunately, the flight was pretty empty and not all the seats were taken in first despite some non-revs boarding at the last minute, so I was able to swap over to a window seat. We started off with warm nuts and some wine:

http://www.jasonaroundtheworld.com/w...5-1024x768.jpg

The nuts were, unfortunately, burned and chewy, so I had to give them a pass:

http://www.jasonaroundtheworld.com/w...7-1024x768.jpg

We were given a snack option of "cheese and fruit" or "spinach dip" - I went with the cheese which was two sad hunks of cheese and a few bruised grapes.

http://www.jasonaroundtheworld.com/w...8-1024x768.jpg

There was enough for seconds, so I asked to try the hummus...I wish I hadn't. It was rather foul. One bite and done.

http://www.jasonaroundtheworld.com/w...1-768x1024.jpg

Soon, we were on approach to Belize:

Deplaned through stairs, immigration took a bit longer than it should have since it seemed several flights all arrived at the same time.

Once through security, you were dropped right into the domestic departures area. My hotel had arranged my onward flights for me, so all I had to do was give my name to them, and they put me on the next flight to San Pedro. Flights seemed to leave every 15-30 minutes at peak time, so it was really a piece of cake.

TropicAir flight 76
Belize City, Belize (BZE) to San Pedro, Belize (SPR)
Depart 14:10, Arrive 14:25, Flight Time: 15 minutes
Cessna 208B Grand Caravan, Registration V3-HHL, Manufactured 2011, Copilot Seat
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 21,170
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,210,685

Even better the flight was completely full, so I got to sit in the copilot seat!

Off to San Pedro we go!

View out the window just after takeoff:

Plotting our course:

About 10 short minutes later, we were on approach to La Isla Bonita:

Deplaning at San Pedro:

San Pedro, the only place in the world you will find go cart traffic jams:

I spent the next three days doing absolutely nothing. Going for walks on the beach, playing in the water, reading in hammocks, basically doing nothing. Well, I did manage a few good eats...starting with rum punch:

Some conch fritters:

Some absolutely delicious curried lobster:

...and to finish it off some key lime pie that Madonna supposedly called "worth every calorie"

A few days later, I was completely sad to leave. I mean, how can you not miss views like this outside your room:

Apparently drinking hours were ending, and I was unfortunately going to have to go back to working hours:

The hammock I spent most of the weekend in, along with a friendly stray dog:

Home away from home, the Blue Tang Inn...fantastic hosts and facilities, I'd definitely go back again!

The hotel dropped me back at the airport, and it was nice checking in just 30 minutes before my flight home!

TropicAir flight 91
San Pedro, Belize (SPR) to Belize City, Belize (BZE)
Depart 15:00, Arrive 15:15, Flight Time: 15 minutes
Cessna 208B Grand Caravan, Registration V3-HHI, Manufactured 2010, Seat "3C"
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 21,204
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,210,719

No copilot seat this time, since they used the weight and balance excuse. Still had great views on takeoff:

Deplaning in Belize City, we were about 5 minutes before the skies absolutely opened up for a torrential downpour that seemed to last forever!

While waiting on my departing flight, I checked out Jet's Bar in the airport. Jet is the proprietor who has been running this very small bar for years, and has all sorts of pictures of himself with famous people all over the walls. It feels like a bit of a tourist trap now, but was still cool to see while waiting on my flight.

Unfortunately, it was still pouring when we had to walk to the remote gate. At least American had a bucket of umbrellas for us to use. Didn't matter, however, since the rain was so strong everyone still got wet. I felt worst for the people in the back of coach who had to wait on the stairway to board the flight as people screwed around trying to find their seats!

American Airlines flight 268
Belize City, Belize (BZE) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Depart 17:09, Arrive 20:18, Flight Time: 3:09
Boeing 737-800, Registration N812NN, Manufactured 2009, Seat 4A
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 22,393
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,211,908

Dinner time flight, and that meant more warm nuts...this time not burnt:

Great sunset shortly after takeoff:

I finally got to try the famous American Lobster Mac and Cheese with Steak, and it was actually pretty decent. One of the best domestic meals I've had in a long time!

Cookie for dessert again. Ugh. I had a couple bites of the better-cooked part, and them passed on the rest.

Good overnight, woke up a little early to make sure I had time for coffee, and when I looked at my phone it was filled with alerts from TripIt, American, etc. I knew DC had been expecting an ice storm, and due to that, American had canceled my Dallas to DC flight. They'd rebooked me via St Louis since all the nonstops were full. I didn't have much more faith that St Louis to DCA would operate since it was a regional jet, but I decided to let go and trust.

American Airlines flight 96
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to St Louis, Missouri (STL)
Depart 10:15, Arrive 11:53, Flight Time: 1:38
McDonnell Douglas MD88, Registration N963TW, Manufactured 1999, Seat 3E
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 22,943
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,212,458

No more than 30 seconds after the door closed on the flight to St Louis, did I get a message from TripIt...St Louis to DCA had just canceled.

UGH.

They booked me on a St Louis to DCA that went two hours later...but by the time we landed in St Louis that flight had canceled as well. Ugh. I got to know the staff of the Admirals Club in St Louis quite well during my nearly 9 hours there, and they were great trying to help me rebook. I think I must have asked at least a dozen times, and I did finally get them to put me on a flight via Chicago and then onto DCA the next morning.

Right before we left, the next morning's flight to DCA canceled as well. United had seats, and I had to push pretty hard, but eventually they did end up rebooking me on United. Thank God! I even managed to check-in with United online and then do a same day change to a slightly later flight so I could sleep in.

American Airlines flight 3243 operated by Envoy Air
St Louis, Missouri (STL) to Chicago, O'Hare (ORD)
Depart 19:05, Arrive 20:30, Flight Time: 1:25
Canadair CRJ-700, Registration N535EA, Manufactured 2010, Seat 1C
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 23,201
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,212,716

This was a good thing, because my 7:05p departure was over two hours late, and when we landed in Chicago we had to wait another hour for a gate due to ice there. It was nearly midnight before we rolled into a gate, and I rolled over the the Airport Hilton for convenience sake.

It was a good thing I did, because I woke up around 7a feeling like absolute death warmed over. Fever, chills, I was pretty sure I was about to meet my maker. Definitely the sickest I've been in years. Managed to same-day-change to an even later flight, and roll over for more sleep. By 11:30 I was able to struggle out of bed and put clothes on...and make my feverish way over to the terminal. Security was easy, and because I was dealing with a fierce headache (thanks caffeine withdrawl) I did manage to put down a venti iced americano from starbucks.

I needed food badly, and a McDonalds cheeseburger was the blandest thing I could think of, but after two bites, it wasn't going to happen so I gave up.

United Airlines flight 616
Chicago, O'Hare (ORD) to Washington, DC National (DCA)
Depart 13:55, Arrive 16:47, Flight Time: 1:52
Boeing 737-700, Registration N23721, Manufactured 1999, Seat 3B
Miles Flown Year-to-Date: 23,813
Lifetime Miles Flown: 2,213,328

I know this flight happened. I know I looked pale. I know that after the first glass of ginger ale the flight attendant kept them coming...I'm sure I looked pretty rough. But, somehow, I made it back home. I've never been so thankful a flight had ginger ale on board since I got nasty food poisoning returning from Iraq. Got home, found out I had a temperature of 102.5 headed straight down the street to Urgent Care where the flu test came back negative...and crawled into bed where I spent most of the next 48 hours.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:56 pm

A deliciously relaxing and lazy long weekend on a tropical island. Hopefully a similar plan is in order for Tuvalu.

All the best for the final five and looking forward to the big do in Iceland.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
This must be the shortest TR that you have done.

As always, a great read, pity about the ending though.

On a brighter note, Starbucks has opened their first store in Johannesburg this morning. It is located in the Rosebank Mall, so a short walk from the Hyatt. So, on future trips, you can get your fix here as well.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
As a frequent traveler of DCA-SPR on AA and Tropic Air, I enjoyed your take on it. Sounds like you enjoyed the stay as much as I have.

But leaving it for your 190th country? Tsk.

Interesting routing, I have to say. DFW overnight and MIA?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
thanks for the TR. the hotel looks nice. will keep it in mind if we decide to travel to ambergris caye.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
On a brighter note, Starbucks has opened their first store in Johannesburg this morning. It is located in the Rosebank Mall, so a short walk from the Hyatt. So, on future trips, you can get your fix here as well.
Just a few weeks too late! I was at the Hyatt just about three weeks ago! Stay tuned for a short flight report...

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
But leaving it for your 190th country? Tsk.

Interesting routing, I have to say. DFW overnight and MIA?
Yeah...it was $300 cheaper in biz than the next routing and more miles, which at 200% qualifying made it an easy choice. The 190th was only because I wanted a much more in dept experience...which will have to wait for now.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

This must be the shortest TR that you have done.
...oh and don't worry, I have a whopper about to come up...my next attempt at Tuvalu!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
...oh and don't worry, I have a whopper about to come up...my next attempt at Tuvalu!
* Rubs hands with glee *
Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:58 am
Original Poster

* Rubs hands with glee *
In the meantime, I'm planning a two-part post this weekend on my recent jaunt down to Cape Town for work
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:31 pm
brg

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I had a very long weekend coming up, and combined with the American Exec Platinum challenge it looked like a perfect time to get away to my 190th country visited - Belize!
I know this flight happened. I know I looked pale. I know that after the first glass of ginger ale the flight attendant kept them coming...I'm sure I looked pretty rough. But, somehow, I made it back home. I've never been so thankful a flight had ginger ale on board since I got nasty food poisoning returning from Iraq. Got home, found out I had a temperature of 102.5 headed straight down the street to Urgent Care where the flu test came back negative...and crawled into bed where I spent most of the next 48 hours.
How did you manage to do all this while working?
I was sick the first time I went to India and I was half dead to the world sitting in economy. Thankfully the flight was light and I was able to sleep for a while.
It is absolute misery to be sick while flying and I would not have been able to get to O'Hare from the Hilton.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brg
I was sick the first time I went to India and I was half dead to the world sitting in economy. Thankfully the flight was light and I was able to sleep for a while. It is absolute misery to be sick while flying and I would not have been able to get to O'Hare from the Hilton.
Well this was a flu-like virus as opposed to a foodborne thing, so I just sucked it up. Trust me, was far from easy, and I considered just staying in bed, but....glad I was able to man up and just barely pull it off!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.