FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kosovo and FYR Macedonia - Milage Run in United Business + TK/LH
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:23 pm
ironmanjt

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Kosovo and FYR Macedonia - Milage Run in United Business + TK/LH

So, it was October. It was getting cold in Washington DC. A friend from NY I've been trying to hang out recently messaged me that he'd be in Germany for work, and would have a free long weekend. I was about 10,000 miles short of hitting 100,000 on United for the year...I started to play around. Things got ugly.

He told me to pick anywhere in Europe I hadn't been yet. New countries are getting difficult to come by for me in Europe, especially taking into account the friend travels on a South African passport and wouldn't have time to get visas. Kosovo? They seem to be nice to just about anyone who is nice to them...but can I count it as a country? More than half of UN members recognize them, and I justified it as "even if I can't...I can count it as Serbia which I haven't been to!"

Then...I found out MYR Macedonia was next door, an easy train or bus ride away, and as long as you had a valid Schengen Visa, you were in. Score! Two countries...done! Now, how to milk this for 10,000 miles. United had some great B/Z fares to Istanbul, and I had one Systemwide Upgrade left for the year, so the choice was easy. Book Z one direction, and the direction that had confirmable upgrade space...book B. It would get me just over the top...100,606 elite miles for the year! DONE!

If you'd like to see my other trip reports:

I. London to Iran and Afghanistan in a mix of C, F, and LCCs
II. Above the Arctic Circle with UA/CO/LH and SK in whY, C, and F
III. Around the World in 40 Days for 40 Years
IV. 8 Places People Who Are Right in the Head Do Not Spend New Years
V. 12 Countries, 10 Airlines, 4 Islands, 27,080 miles, 11 Days
VI. 6 Countries in 6 Days - Caribbean Island Hopping and first AA Experience
VII. Guyana, Suriname, and French Guyana with an unexpected sidetrip to Caracas!
VIII. To Haïti - for vacation and a milage run!
IX. Around Senegal and West Africa
X. 4th Annual New Years in Dangerous Places - Libya Edition

I'm going to break this report into roughly three parts:

1) Washington to Pristina, Kosovo on United, Lufthansa, and Turkish
2) Evening and Day in Pristina, and travel to Skopje, FYR Macedonia
3) Evening and Day in Skopje, Macedonia
4) Skopje, FYR Macedonia to Washington on Turkish, Lufthansa, and United

Enjoy!

Last edited by ironmanjt; Feb 27, 2013 at 7:09 pm