Hajj, A Journey of a Lifetime: An Insiders Look

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hajj, A Journey of a Lifetime: An Insiders Look

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
Absolutely fascinating. Thank you for sharing.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, SAS, Krisflyer, Royal Orchid Plus
Thank you so much for sharing this experience, very interesting report.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matthandy
Thank you isaifan for a fascinating and very different trip report. Extremely insightful for those of us not familiar with Hajj. More of these please....
Thank You matthandy for reading. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I just read in Al Ahram that 20 Egyptians died doing the Haj this year?

Why can you only go at a certain time?

It seems safer because of the huge crowds if the Haj could be spread out during the whole year.
Thanks Bretteee for the comment. From reading the article, it seems like the deaths were natural and that is to be expected with such a large number of people. Also, the Hajj takes place only at a certain time a year and each event takes place at a certain time during the Hajj. This is why you have such a large crowd of people moving from place to place all at nearly the same time. The Umrah (A "smaller" Hajj) can be done at any time of the year though.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:33 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Thank you for sharing your amazing journey. It is a wonderful trip report that gave us a glimpse into another world and people.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: QFF
really amazing and insightful report.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:07 pm

Great photos. Very interesting insight into something many will never experience. One of the top trip reports for 2014.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:33 pm

Awesome, insightful trip report, isaifan.

Always wanted to know what my colleagues and friends in Dubai got up to when they were away on Hajj.

Many thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
A fascinating and very informative report on a journey I knew very little about. Truly appreciate it, many thanks for sharing!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs up

Ww! What a great read that was. The pictures were great too. After hearing about the Hajj I've always wondered what the whole experience is like. Thank you so much for sharing your story. ^
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
This was an amazing read. Definitely the most informative TR on FT. I hope that the problems faced in accommodations and transport be fixed soon enough by the Saudi government.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Thank you for a fascinating trip report on what must have been a highly spiritual journey: it certainly beats the boring SQ J / EK F etc reports elsewhere on the board.

However, this being FT, I am curious about various matters regarding your trip. Folks on your side of the Atlantic may have been a bit too PC to ask, but we're less PC elsewhere around the world, so I'll ask the following very FT-esque questions:

Originally Posted by isaifan
We luckily received one of the upgraded tents which provided a pull-out mattress for each person that could also double as a seat. Each mattress also came with a pre-packaged blanket and pillow.
How far in advance did you have to apply your relevant upgrade instrument? What was the risk that someone would buy it under you for a few TODs?

We were also provided with an amenity kit that included fragrance free soap, shampoo, slippers, toothbrush, toothpaste, and other necessities. Again, since we chose the absolute cheapest package for hajj, all of this was beyond our expectations and we were truly happy to have such luxuries.

Mena Amenity Kit[/CENTER]
So basically this is better than most J amenity kits then?

Space in Mena is extremely tight. When sleeping you are literally shoulder to shoulder with the people next to you. Being 6′-4″ does not help as I was regularly awoken with people accidentally stepping on me as my feet dangled in into the 6″ walk-way between mattresses.
Am I wrong to be picturing the PMUA 747 business class seat map in the mind?

Last edited by Too much travel; Oct 8, 2014 at 2:31 am
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Too much travel
Thank you for a fascinating trip report on what must have been a highly spiritual journey: it certainly beats the boring SQ J / EK F etc reports elsewhere on the board.
How far in advance did you have to apply your relevant upgrade instrument? What was the risk that someone would buy it under you for a few TODs?

So basically this is better than most J amenity kits then?

Am I wrong to be picturing the PMUA 747 business class seat map in the mind?
You are precisely correct in all your assumputions. Thanks for the laugh Too much travel.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: SQ, EK
Amazing TR!! Very informative. Kudos to you on performing the hajj twice!

If you don't mind, can I ask why you chose to walk in the heat to Arafat rather than wait for the bus? Please don't be offended, I'm just curious.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Krisflyer85
Amazing TR!! Very informative. Kudos to you on performing the hajj twice!

If you don't mind, can I ask why you chose to walk in the heat to Arafat rather than wait for the bus? Please don't be offended, I'm just curious.
Thanks Krisflyer85 for reading and the question. There was a big uproar and people were getting antsy about the buses, so we decided to just go on our own. Unless you are in great shape, I would not recommend this. Instead, I would just wait in seclusion, or away from the excited group until the bus arrives.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
A fantastic report and insight into this most important of life experiences for you and your wife. thank you so much for sharing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.