Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

First Trip To Japan in *A Business Class (UA, OZ, NH, JA, LH, US)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:05 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

My girlfriend just wrapped up nursing school, and we wanted to get away to celebrate a bit of newfound free time. With a stack of US miles and the impending merger calling into question the longevity of 90K business class to North Asia, Japan seemed like the perfect destination for our trip.

Neither of us had ever been, and naturally, my research began on FT. Many thanks especially to mkjr for his spot-on food advice (his terrific TR is here).

I was able to take advantage of US' lax routing rules to put together an itinerary that included (technically) three stopovers. CP status gave me free changes, which, combined with ExpertFlyer alerts and an unhealthy obsession with optimization led me to make about 15 changes to this trip before all was said and done (up until the day before departure). In the end, I was (and am) incredibly happy with the booking, and will be very sad if the agents at the new AA are any more knowledgable about the rules

Enjoy!

(Trip is DONE! See it all using the links below)

BWI-SFO United Domestic First
SFO Lounges - Silver Kris and China Dynasty
SFO-ICN Asiana Business (Quadra Smartium)
Millenium Hilton Seoul
GMP-HND NH Business
Hilton Tokyo (And Tokyo Highlights)
HND-ITM JA Coach
Westin Miyako Kyoto (And Kyoto Highlights)
Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport
ANA Lounge(s) NRT
NRT-FRA LH Business
Westin Grand Frankfurt
SEN Lounge, FRA
FRA-PHL US Envoy
PHL-BWI US Express (and some final thoughts)

Last edited by LM225; Aug 10, 2013 at 7:46 am
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:06 am
Original Poster

BWI-SFO United Domestic First

My girlfriend grew up in San Francisco, and I spent three years living in that amazing city (and it's where I met her). We booked a four-day layover to see her mom, catch up with friends and reconnect with our old home.

I won't spend too much time filling you in on the details of UA domestic F, as it's a product most are aware of and few care to relive, but suffice it to say that it made me very glad to be a loyal US customer (especially after the improvements of recent years). Our flight had forgettable service, no inflight WiFi, and a breakfast offering that left us both wanting:

Is this not the most deflated, sad-looking croissant you've ever seen? My GF has seen Prozac prescribed for less.

My meal wasn't any better: rubbery omelet with a side of what can most accurately be described as "gummy starch mound." I honestly have no idea what that thing is:

We didn't have high hopes for this segment, and to that end, weren't too disappointed. Besides, the real trip begins here...
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:13 am
Original Poster

After a magical few days in SFO -- seeing loved ones, eating at our favorite restaurants, getting engaged, etc… -- we were itching to get the rest of the trip underway. We arrived at SFO about 2.5 hours before our 1:10PM flight was scheduled to depart, and checked in with no wait at the Asiana Business counter.

The agent handed me two passes to the China Airlines Dynasty Lounge, but I was set on checking out the international terminal's SQ lounge. Now, Asiana flies from the "A" gates and the SQ lounge is in the "G" area, so going to the SQ lounge would mean clearing security twice. Still, I wanted to see it.

Even though the agent assured me we wouldn't be allowed through the "G" security lines, we got through without issue -- when the BP checker kindly informed us that we were in the wrong terminal for Asiana, I simply told him that we wanted to hang out in the Singapore Airlines Lounge for a bit, and he smiled and let us through.

I can't say that the SQ lounge blew me away, but it's certainly nicer than any domestic lounge I've been to. I understand that the lounge was recently remodeled, and the furnishings are quite nice:

There was a small spread of food available, though they didn't serve any hot items while we were there:

My favorite touch was the self-serve open bar with some very decent choices. I helped myself to a couple of JW Blacks, and had a chuckle at the top-shelf liquor elegantly framing a pile of Cup-o-Noodles.

We relaxed in the lounge for an hour or so, and about 40 minutes before boarding, made our way back through security and into the "A" gate area, where we took an escalator to China Airlines' much smaller, less refined Dynasty Lounge.

While the lounge was a bit cramped and warm from the sun beating on the massive windows, they still had a respectable selection of refreshments. We passed on the food, though I did pour another Black Label. For, uh, research.

When boarding for our flight was called, we made our way out the door and down to Gate A4, where our plane was waiting.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:26 am
Original Poster

SFO-ICN Asiana Business (Quadra Smartium)

I was very excited to try OZ's new product, and nervously checked FlightRadar in the days leading up to the flight, keeping my fingers crossed that we wouldn't be hit with an equipment swap. Fortunately, it showed a QS 777 coming in from ICN the day of our flight, and indeed, when we boarded, we were greeted by the beautiful (albeit absurdly-named) new cabin.

The seats, Asiana's new Quadra Smartium product, were gloriously lie-flat, and I could easily lie down with room to spare on all sides. The controls were fairly simple.

Amenity kits were waiting for us in the side storage compartment, complete with L'Occitane products, toothbrush, comb and eyeshade.

About thirty minutes after takeoff, lunch menus were passed out. Though we chose window seats (as we both like the view), since the cabin was only 9/21 full, the FA suggested that we move to one of the middle sections to dine together, which we gladly did. We both went with the Korean option, which started with a shrimp tarlet and proscuitto canape. Delicious.

Followed by a Korean Seafood Pancake.

Not as delicious -- basically a breaded seafood salad inside a bland jalapeno boat. But all was redeemed by…

A very tasty Korean pumpkin porridge, which was quickly inhaled. Afterwards, the main course was served: Bibimbap, accompanied by a glass (or two, if we're being truthful) of Ballantine's 17 year. Both quite good.

A light dessert of fresh fruit was brought to us, and, connoisseur that I am, I paired it with "whatever that guy in 2A is having." Turned out to be a 20-year Port Sandeman Tawny. Smoky caramel that goes on and on…

For some reason, they thought we hadn't had enough food yet, and a tea cart came around. I slowed down my gluttony with a cup of chamomile tea. It was served with some Korean cookies and a candied walnut. Not bad, but nothing special; I only had a bite and didn't want more.

After the meal, we returned to our seats and relaxed for a few hours. I watched a movie (Ice Age: Continental Drift. Yes, I am an adult. Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it. No, I'm not worried about what this might say about me.), did some work, read a bit and wrote the first part of this report.

The FA's were very professional and warm, bringing around water bottles every hour or so, but not bothering us when we napped or were otherwise "busy." If I had one complaint, it would be that the cabin was kept a bit too warm for comfort.

On-demand snacks were offered, with a choice of fruit, ramen or sandwiches. I had the fruit, though after smelling the ramen go past my seat, I regretted filling up on melon.

A light meal was served about 90 minutes before landing, starting with some tomatoes with mozzarella, prosciutto and green (purple?) salad.

For the main course, I had a beef dish -- the meat was very good, though the steamed vegetables were a bit bland.

While I'm told the spicy crusted chicken was tasty:

The flight was over quickly, and we made our way to the KAL limo bus stop for our ride into the city...

Last edited by LM225; Aug 2, 2013 at 4:00 pm
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QF, VA
Looks good so far. Looking forward to the rest.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:38 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Nice report, enjoying it so far! Not too often we get to see OZ J reports, though I must say the presentation of the food looks wonderful. They must be one of the few airlines who don't use trays in Biz.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Love the pics, and congratulations on the engagement! Is that your fiance making a cameo in your photo of the QS seat?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomVexille
Looks good so far. Looking forward to the rest.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by LH4116
Nice report, enjoying it so far! Not too often we get to see OZ J reports, though I must say the presentation of the food looks wonderful. They must be one of the few airlines who don't use trays in Biz.
Yes, definitely a welcome surprise Beautiful plating and service. Here's a photo of the tea cart:

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Love the pics, and congratulations on the engagement! Is that your fiance making a cameo in your photo of the QS seat?
Thank you! And yep, caught her!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by LM225
The agent handed me two passes to the China Airlines Dynasty Lounge, but I was set on checking out the international terminal's SQ lounge. Now, Asiana flies from the "A" gates and the SQ lounge is in the "G" area, so going to the SQ lounge would mean clearing security twice. Still, I wanted to see it.

Even though the agent assured me we wouldn't be allowed through the "G" security lines, we got through without issue -- when the BP checker kindly informed us that we were in the wrong terminal for Asiana, I simply told him that we wanted to hang out in the Singapore Airlines Lounge for a bit, and he smiled and let us through.
This is good to know. I had asked on some other forums if someone can visit the other *G lounges at SFO (UA and SQ), especially important if one was flying AC or OZ in Y, but with *G status, since neither the China Dynasty (OZ contract) or Delta (AC contract) lounges are *G. I did not get a clear answer, but some responses indicated that the TSA did not allow access to the UA/SQ concourse. I guess it depends on the agents on duty at the time.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by INEC
I guess it depends on the agents on duty at the time.
I think this is probably right!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Millenium Hilton Seoul

The trip to the hotel took about an hour, with pretty heavy rush hour traffic.

As we only had 27 hours in Seoul, location was everything in choosing a hotel. I booked a walking tour that departed from Seoul Station the following morning, and while I had my eye on the Conrad and RC (Amex FHR actually made the latter a terrific deal), I couldn't pass up the Millenium Hilton for it's proximity to the station. It turned out to be a great choice. The property is in great shape and very tastefully done.

With HHonors Gold, we were upgraded to an Executive Room with a beautiful view of Namsan Park:

King bed with some overly-complex room lighting controls on the nightstand:

The welcome amenity looked delicious. Unfortunately, we were full from the flight when we arrived, and never got a chance to try the chocolates.

We opted for breakfast in the restaurant, where they had one of my favorite hotel breakfast offerings: a fresh-squeezed juice bar:

And a standard (for int'l properties -- in most US Hiltons this would be far too nice) buffet with both Western and Asian options:

Being on US time, we had woken up early and still had a couple of hours before our 9AM tour, so we took a walk through Namsan Park. Stunning views of the city:

After a terrific tour, we checked out, stuffed our bags into a locker at Seoul Station and spent a bit more time walking around downtown, including being herded through Namdaemun market, where they sold such fine wares as:

When it came time to head to the airport for our 8:15PM flight, we hopped on the train and got to Gimpo in about 20 minutes...
Old Aug 3, 2013, 1:50 pm

Thanks for the TR! I just got back from Seoul last week and was extremely hot and humid. Does the 777 from SFO-ICN not have an F cabin. What a name for their business class btw.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by mikelazaro
Thanks for the TR! I just got back from Seoul last week and was extremely hot and humid. Does the 777 from SFO-ICN not have an F cabin. What a name for their business class btw.
OZ only offers J and Y to SFO.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Star Alliance Silver, jetBlue TrueBlue, CX Asia Miles, & Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by LM225
My meal wasn't any better: rubbery omelet with a side of what can most accurately be described as "gummy starch mound." I honestly have no idea what that thing is:
I got the same breakfast in January on my SFO-HNL flight. I wasn't sure what the side was either. I guessed it was a hybrid quiche/frittata. From what I recall, my omelet wasn't rubbery rather watery. Also, the sausage patty was extremely dry. Oh well.

Great report so far. I might redeem some of my miles to fly OZ J or F class next year so this is great inspiration!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:15 am

Great trip report, excited for the rest as I'm hitting the same destinations in December. UA food is weird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.