FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Trip To Japan in *A Business Class (UA, OZ, NH, JA, LH, US)
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:26 am
LM225

SFO-ICN Asiana Business (Quadra Smartium)

I was very excited to try OZ's new product, and nervously checked FlightRadar in the days leading up to the flight, keeping my fingers crossed that we wouldn't be hit with an equipment swap. Fortunately, it showed a QS 777 coming in from ICN the day of our flight, and indeed, when we boarded, we were greeted by the beautiful (albeit absurdly-named) new cabin.

The seats, Asiana's new Quadra Smartium product, were gloriously lie-flat, and I could easily lie down with room to spare on all sides. The controls were fairly simple.

Amenity kits were waiting for us in the side storage compartment, complete with L'Occitane products, toothbrush, comb and eyeshade.

About thirty minutes after takeoff, lunch menus were passed out. Though we chose window seats (as we both like the view), since the cabin was only 9/21 full, the FA suggested that we move to one of the middle sections to dine together, which we gladly did. We both went with the Korean option, which started with a shrimp tarlet and proscuitto canape. Delicious.

Followed by a Korean Seafood Pancake.

Not as delicious -- basically a breaded seafood salad inside a bland jalapeno boat. But all was redeemed by…

A very tasty Korean pumpkin porridge, which was quickly inhaled. Afterwards, the main course was served: Bibimbap, accompanied by a glass (or two, if we're being truthful) of Ballantine's 17 year. Both quite good.

A light dessert of fresh fruit was brought to us, and, connoisseur that I am, I paired it with "whatever that guy in 2A is having." Turned out to be a 20-year Port Sandeman Tawny. Smoky caramel that goes on and on…

For some reason, they thought we hadn't had enough food yet, and a tea cart came around. I slowed down my gluttony with a cup of chamomile tea. It was served with some Korean cookies and a candied walnut. Not bad, but nothing special; I only had a bite and didn't want more.

After the meal, we returned to our seats and relaxed for a few hours. I watched a movie (Ice Age: Continental Drift. Yes, I am an adult. Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it. No, I'm not worried about what this might say about me.), did some work, read a bit and wrote the first part of this report.

The FA's were very professional and warm, bringing around water bottles every hour or so, but not bothering us when we napped or were otherwise "busy." If I had one complaint, it would be that the cabin was kept a bit too warm for comfort.

On-demand snacks were offered, with a choice of fruit, ramen or sandwiches. I had the fruit, though after smelling the ramen go past my seat, I regretted filling up on melon.

A light meal was served about 90 minutes before landing, starting with some tomatoes with mozzarella, prosciutto and green (purple?) salad.

For the main course, I had a beef dish -- the meat was very good, though the steamed vegetables were a bit bland.

While I'm told the spicy crusted chicken was tasty:

The flight was over quickly, and we made our way to the KAL limo bus stop for our ride into the city...

Last edited by LM225; Aug 2, 2013 at 4:00 pm