Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

First Trip To Japan in *A Business Class (UA, OZ, NH, JA, LH, US)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Trip To Japan in *A Business Class (UA, OZ, NH, JA, LH, US)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: United
looking great so far. cant wait for the rest of the trip!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Belvedere in the SQ lounge...oh my.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 4:50 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

GMP-HND All Nippon Business

We arrived at Gimpo about three hours ahead of our 8:05PM flight, and made our way through what seemed like miles of corridors and escalators to find the ANA counter dark and empty. Another agent at their ticketing desk explained that the counter wouldn't open up until 5:35. We weren't let into the Asiana lounge without boarding passes, so we sat in the main terminal for a bit.

After the gate agents appeared (and started service with a deep, synchronized bow to the entire waiting line), we quickly got our BP's and headed up to the lounge.

Nothing special, but a very nice way to pass the time before a flight. The Asiana lounge is before security, which normally makes me anxious about timing my departure right to get through security without too much time to spare, but the airport was fairly empty and security looked like it was efficient.

An interesting assortment of local goodies:

And some sandwiches:

I did some work and a bit of reading, and after some scotch and snacks, it was time to head to our gate.

While this rarely happens in the states, I love getting the widebodies for short flights (this one was just under two hours):

Boarding, which, as everything here seemingly does, began with a group bow, and was completed very quickly. None of the gate crowding that we've all seen many many times.

The business class seats on this jet were fairly standard recliners, arranged 2-3-2:

Though what really surprised me was the legroom. More than anyone short of an NBA center should need. In fact, I actually found it a bit uncomfortable for reaching my bag (under the seat in front of me) during the flight. For reference, I'm 5'10.

The controls looked simple, but were actually pretty counter-intuitive. For example, to disengage the legrest, you pull on the lever and use your legs to push back quite hard. Not the most modern design.

And while the seat wasn't epic, it was more than enough for our hop to Haneda, and certainly better than most products you'll find in US Domestic F.

Also unlike US Domestic F, this 1:55 flight had a full meal service, which started a few minutes after takeoff. The menu listed the entrees by date range, and as we were flying later in the month, we were to be served the sea bass.

But first, some champagne and rice crackers:

Understandably, all of the dinner courses were served together:

The appetizers weren't bad, though the sea bass dish tasted about as good as it looks; watery, rubbery, bland and overall unpleasant. I could only handle a bite or two. Fortunately, after the lounge at GMP, we weren't very hungry.

And while the menu listed petit fours, those never came.

We landed not long after dinner. Our 10:15PM arrival, right after an AA 777, made me a bit nervous when I saw the line at passport control, as I knew the last limo bus to the Hilton Tokyo was at 10:55. It wouldn't have been a disaster to miss it, as busses run to Shinjuku station nearby until midnight, but we were still elated to jump on the bus at 10:54 after a sprint from customs to the ticketing machine.

The ride was about 30 minutes on the expressway followed by 30 minutes of pure sensory overload from the lights and sounds of beautiful Tokyo. And as we arrived at the Hilton to -- surprise, surprise -- a lineup of bowing bellhops, we knew we would be in for an unforgettable experience.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikelazaro
Thanks for the TR! I just got back from Seoul last week and was extremely hot and humid. Does the 777 from SFO-ICN not have an F cabin. What a name for their business class btw.
Thanks, mikelazaro! Without a doubt, this is not the most comfortable time of year to visit. It's too hot for comfort, though with plenty of air conditioned stops, we're still having a wonderful time. It helps that you can't walk ten feet in Tokyo or Kyoto without kicking a vending machine selling cold drinks.

And as fly747first pointed out, the SFO route is served by a two-cabin 777.

Originally Posted by cxny1090
I got the same breakfast in January on my SFO-HNL flight. I wasn't sure what the side was either. I guessed it was a hybrid quiche/frittata. From what I recall, my omelet wasn't rubbery rather watery. Also, the sausage patty was extremely dry. Oh well.

Great report so far. I might redeem some of my miles to fly OZ J or F class next year so this is great inspiration!
Thanks, cxny1090, I'm glad you're enjoying it! After flying OZ J, I have no doubt that it's a terrific value for award booking. Especially if you've got US miles to burn before the merger

Originally Posted by ahcjar103
Great trip report, excited for the rest as I'm hitting the same destinations in December. UA food is weird.
Thank you, ahcjar103! The rest of the report will have plenty of restaurant recommendations, so hopefully you get some value out of those as well

Originally Posted by opusone
looking great so far. cant wait for the rest of the trip!
Thanks opusone, I appreciate that!

Originally Posted by Amelorn
Belvedere in the SQ lounge...oh my.
Yep, Amelorn, it certainly shows marked room for improvement in the UA Club Now, to try and get past the int'l security checks with a domestic BP...
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Great report - I flew TG A380 J on the weekend and can see by your photos that the OZ QS J is EXACTLY the same type of seat.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:53 am

wonderful report. Appreciate it. Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Excellent report so far, LM225, and congratulations on your engagement! Should I ever breakout of what my dad calls my "Ryan Bingham" phase, this is exactly how I want to celebrate an engagement.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smit0847
Great report - I flew TG A380 J on the weekend and can see by your photos that the OZ QS J is EXACTLY the same type of seat.
Thanks, smit0847! It's a great seat. I'm looking forward to flying on the TG A380 in December, though I was lucky to snag seats in F

Originally Posted by jameschan2811
wonderful report. Appreciate it. Thanks
Thank you, jameschan2811.

Originally Posted by dat4life
Excellent report so far, LM225, and congratulations on your engagement! Should I ever breakout of what my dad calls my "Ryan Bingham" phase, this is exactly how I want to celebrate an engagement.
Many thanks, dat4life! Hopefully one day you break out, though definitely don't rush
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Hilton Tokyo (and Tokyo Highlights)

The Tokyo Hilton is a beautiful property, though it's hard to put a finger on exactly what makes it so. There's no focal point or unusual design elements that would normally make a hotel stand out, but the whole property has a sleek, modern feel without the sterility that many hotels chasing that same aesthetic end up with.

On check-in, we were upgraded to an executire room. We would make extensive use of the lounge during our stay. Though we preferred eating breakfast in the restaurant with far more choices (very similar to the Millenium Hilton in Seoul), cocktail hour in the lounges had a bigger -- and more impressive -- food spread than any I had seen.

We were on the 35th floor with a stunning view of Shinjuku, and the next morning was the first time we'd look out over Tokyo in daylight:

My first impression, as someone who has lived in and visited dozens of "big" cities, is that Tokyo is…well, infinite. The massive, crowded skyline goes on and on, and when you think you've left "downtown", you turn the corner and see that you're still dead wrong.

Though a bit crowded with business travelers, we found the location of the Hilton, near Shinjuku (though actually closer to Nishi-Shinjuku station), to be perfect. While I've seen reviews that pan the hotel for being in a financial district, away from the action, this is precisely what we loved about it. After spending the day getting our senses bombarded from every angle, being able to walk home through some quieter streets and decompress was just what we needed.

One piece of advice I'd give to anyone planning a trip to Japan: buy a mobile SIM card with a data package. I paid around $40 for mine (the 1GB card from b-Mobile), and they shipped it to the hotel so it was waiting for me when I arrived. The clerk handed it to me on check-in, I plugged it in (note: you must get your phone unlocked before you go), and within 30 seconds of east setup, had fast, reliable internet service. It paid for itself within a few hours of getting lost and looking up directions, and after two weeks of google maps, restaurant research and flight tracking, I was convinced that it was one of the best values of the whole trip.

One major standout from our time in Tokyo is this cycling tour (we did route B), which, while brutal in the heat, was a fun way to see the city and meet other travellers.

Additionally, Tsujiki Sushisen (a recommendation from mkjr's referenced in Post #1), was phenomenal, reasonably priced and completely without tourists.

Per mkjr's advice, I consulted bento.com, an English-language Japanese food blog, for some more restaurant recommendations, and stumbled on an izakaya (basically, a bar with small plates) just two blocks away from the Hilton. On the 29th floor of a Shinjuku office building, Sangendou was fairly quiet, but delicious. An English menu helped, as did a Sake recommendation from our server.

Chicken meatballs with egg yolk and soy sauce:

Chicken skin:

Soba:

Pickled Veggies:

Chicken Hearts:

Chicken with Welsh onion:

We also took a side trip to Hakone, where we saw some incredible things.

Boiling eggs in the sulfurous springs:

Cruising down Lake Ashi:

We loved Tokyo, and can't wait to come back. But our reservation in Kyoto awaited, so on day six, we boarded the Airport Limo Bus back to Haneda for our first -- and only -- economy flight of the trip…
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by LM225
We loved Tokyo, and can't wait to come back. But our reservation in Kyoto awaited, so on day six, we boarded the Airport Limo Bus back to Haneda for our first -- and only -- economy flight of the trip…
Thank you for the nice photos in the report! Makes it more enjoyable to read for sure!

Though I was wondering why you didn't just take the Shinkansen between Kyoto and Tokyo? Wouldn't that be more straightforward?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quirrow
Thank you for the nice photos in the report! Makes it more enjoyable to read for sure!

Though I was wondering why you didn't just take the Shinkansen between Kyoto and Tokyo? Wouldn't that be more straightforward?
Thanks, quirrow! An excellent question, which I'm answering in the next post. Finishing typing that up now
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:59 am
Original Poster

HND-ITM JAL Y

I wanted to experience the famous Shinkansen, but also couldn't pass up the value of 4,500 Avios for the hop from Haneda to Itami. To compromise, I booked a one-way via BA, and decided to return via bullet train. Having done both now, I'd definitely take the train both ways, as entering the station, walking directly onto your train and being delivered to your destination in 2 1/2 hours is a lot more fun than spending an hour getting to the airport, going through security, waiting, flying for 40 minutes and taking another shuttle to Kyoto on the tail end. To me, there's not much of a question as to whether it's worth the extra cash for the flexibilty and time saved.

Getting to Haneda, we got through security in all of 45 seconds. Star Gold would give us no lounge access on a JAL itinerary, and I didn't bother checking to see if Priority Pass had lounges here, as we'd only have about 45 minutes or so in the terminal, so it wouldn't have been worth the $27 guest fee.

We wandered into a food court and found a tasty udon lunch for under $6 per person.

At the airport! Japan continues to surprise. And the surprise didn't end there…

Accustomed to the long boarding processes here in the US, when we arrived at T-40 to a nearly empty gate, with only a few passengers sitting quietly in their seats, I was taken aback, if not a bit worried. When T-30 rolled around, I was getting a bit antsy, and at T-20, I was downright sure I wasn't being told that about the delay.

But sure enough, at around T-15, boarding commenced, and they loaded the entire 777 (though not entirely full) in time for our scheduled pushback.

The seats were pretty standard international coach seats, and perfectly adequate for a 40-some minute flight. Not a whole lot of leg room, but it didn't really matter in this case. If you're taller, or sitting here for an 11-hour flight, you'd have a far worse time.

I liked the camera feed being shown on the TV screens, with a nose cam at takeoff and landing, and a belly cam inflight. The former was especially cool, though you wouldn't know it by this pic (no electronics during takeoff, etc...)

There was a quick and efficient drink service, and we landed soon after. We made our way to the shuttle bus that would take us to Kyoto station, where the Westin shuttle would bring us to our hotel. Transit days aren't the easiest, but this one wasn't too bad.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:23 am

I am only confused that you didn't eat the chocolates because you weren't hungry. You have to be hungry to have a little bite of chocolate? LOL

Great TR. Keep up the good work.

Mazel tov on the engagement
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by LM225
Cruising down Lake Ashi:
Nice picture and nice trip report ^
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:56 pm

Love the TR so far! Can't wait to read the rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.