Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

First Trip To Japan in *A Business Class (UA, OZ, NH, JA, LH, US)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Trip To Japan in *A Business Class (UA, OZ, NH, JA, LH, US)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:36 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Thank you for taking the time to post the details of your RTW trip.

I've also had a great experience with Japanese restaurants: more good ones that bad ones.

Your wife will be addicted to these new travels in short order. . . ^
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:39 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Thank you for taking the time to post the details of your RTW trip.

I've also had a great experience with Japanese restaurants: more good ones that bad ones.

Your wife will be addicted to these new travels in short order. . . ^
Thanks, worldtraveller73! It makes me wish more places were like that, rather than having to count on review sites.

And I have no doubt -- she's already asking questions about the TG F seats for December
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a fantastic trip.

I fly UA a lot - their breakfasts are not special but I have never seen a breakfast look as bad as the one in your pics. I wonder who does the catering in BWI.

As always that sausage can be used in a hockey game. Ugly, tasteless I wish they would flush it.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a fantastic trip.

I fly UA a lot - their breakfasts are not special but I have never seen a breakfast look as bad as the one in your pics. I wonder who does the catering in BWI.

As always that sausage can be used in a hockey game. Ugly, tasteless I wish they would flush it.
Thanks, santarosaflyer!

I was very surprised, too. Especially as I'd seen UA flyers on the US forum complaining about our food

Hopefully it was a glitch. Nobody that plops down good money (or miles) for an F seat should have to choke down that food.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: FT
Great TR. Glad you enjoyed the restaurants in Japan. Took me a while to get to this as I had to fly home to YVR under the worst possible conditions…oh well, what can you do (at least the weather was the best I can recall it being in the 12 years I have been a non resident of YVR)....

I am actually in the midst of booking another trip back to Japan (already booked YYZ-HKG-HND on CX and fussing with HND or NRT to JFK on JAL or AA in F but a thread on the heat on JAL cabins is making me probably go with AA - and as much as I am sure the food on JAL is good...it will not compare to what you get on the ground in Japan)…hopefully to find some more goodies in other places…although I appreciate the higher end stuff, a little hard to do with a 6 year old so all the places I have been too are pretty kid friendly…

probably going to focus on more relaxing places this time away from cities but who knows...this place has intrigued me...

http://www.arcanaresorts.com/en/

The domestic boarding process for intra japan flights really should be a model for others…although that would require co-operation from other passengers so likely will never happen. When we arrived at FUK, we were told we were too early to clear security and also to heck with no liquids in carry on…no problem for our purchases along the way, in fact, not permitted in checked luggage.

i agree with you also, flights between Kyoto and Tokyo take more time than just taking the train.

although the 4500 is hard to pass up, the real value is that for 4500 you can fly from HND all the way to FUK...and for reference, CTS to NGO is the same (but CTS to KIX/ITM bumps up).

and paying the extra to upgrade to F is probaly not a bad idea if you are flying on the longer flights in which JAL offers F.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
Great TR. Glad you enjoyed the restaurants in Japan. Took me a while to get to this as I had to fly home to YVR under the worst possible conditions…oh well, what can you do (at least the weather was the best I can recall it being in the 12 years I have been a non resident of YVR)....

I am actually in the midst of booking another trip back to Japan (already booked YYZ-HKG-HND on CX and fussing with HND or NRT to JFK on JAL or AA in F but a thread on the heat on JAL cabins is making me probably go with AA - and as much as I am sure the food on JAL is good...it will not compare to what you get on the ground in Japan)…hopefully to find some more goodies in other places…although I appreciate the higher end stuff, a little hard to do with a 6 year old so all the places I have been too are pretty kid friendly…

probably going to focus on more relaxing places this time away from cities but who knows...this place has intrigued me...

http://www.arcanaresorts.com/en/

The domestic boarding process for intra japan flights really should be a model for others…although that would require co-operation from other passengers so likely will never happen. When we arrived at FUK, we were told we were too early to clear security and also to heck with no liquids in carry on…no problem for our purchases along the way, in fact, not permitted in checked luggage.

i agree with you also, flights between Kyoto and Tokyo take more time than just taking the train.

although the 4500 is hard to pass up, the real value is that for 4500 you can fly from HND all the way to FUK...and for reference, CTS to NGO is the same (but CTS to KIX/ITM bumps up).

and paying the extra to upgrade to F is probaly not a bad idea if you are flying on the longer flights in which JAL offers F.
Thanks, mkjr! Glad you found your way over here.

Arcana Izu looks amazing. We've already agreed that while this trip was a great intro to Japan, on our next visit, we're definitely going to focus a lot more outside of Tokyo/Kyoto -- Nikko, Mt. Fuji, FUK, etc... so that's a very good tip for me re: Avios to FUK.

And yes, while I'd love for boarding in the states to always go like it did in HND, I just can't, in a million years, picture a bunch of disgruntled BWI pax patiently waiting in their seats to board. The GA's head might literally explode at the sight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.