Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Photo Trip Report: MBS@SIN, Hyatt@KUL & Pepper Crabs- SQ Intra-Asia Business Cabins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photo Trip Report: MBS@SIN, Hyatt@KUL & Pepper Crabs- SQ Intra-Asia Business Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Nice TR.

Great timing.....spending Easter in SIN & thinking about staying at MBS.....toss-up between MBS & FBH.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
MBS Sky Park

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 21, 2013 at 9:02 pm
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott Gold
Your photos of the infinity pool look better then the real thing. When I was there, the pool was overcrowded and smaller than I have imagined it to be based on the hype.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaidus
simply WOW!
all your pics are so great and show nice atmosphere... what a nice bathroom at MBS hotel...
Thanks for your comments!

Originally Posted by amaroo
Nice TR.

Great timing.....spending Easter in SIN & thinking about staying at MBS.....toss-up between MBS & FBH.
IMHO, FBH is probably a better hotel. MBS services are fairly average. Long line to check in and out. Restaurants are over priced and rooms average. MBS does have amazing views.

Originally Posted by SAUCflyer
Your photos of the infinity pool look better then the real thing. When I was there, the pool was overcrowded and smaller than I have imagined it to be based on the hype.
I agree there is a lot of hypes surrounding MBS.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Daytime views from MBS Sky Park

Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:48 am

An another visually satisfying photo trip report!

One suggestion if you don't mind:

Why not include narratives in your TRs to tell the readers your travel experience? For example, why you take the trip, how was the FA, any great restaurant, hotel service quality, interesting things you see....

I am sure by adding those elements into your TRs, they will be hugely popular in this forum.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nighttime Views from MBS Sky Park 1 of 2

Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nighttime Views from MBS Sky Park 2 of 2

Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Capture the Movement of Lights

A couple of years ago, while on board of a United flight leaving NRT in the evening, I was hoping to capture the night view of the airport during take-off, and got the following image that appears in the Photo Trip Report: Time Square Loses its Colors...Not Just Another UA Trip Report!:

I was intrigued by the movement of light when using slow shutter speed in the low light situation. If I hold camera steady (minimize shakes) while the camera moves in a constant uninterrupted motion, I would create an image showing the movement of lights in the same direction of the camera moving motion. This technique has done in many photos I have seen, but for an amateur photographer like me, it was something new and interesting to experiment. Since that Tokyo flight, I have continued to fool around with my camera when shooting at night. Here are a few fool-around photos I took from the top of the MBS:

Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott Gold
With these outcomes, I wouldn't say that you are fooling around UA_Flyer! Hard to imagine what it would be like if you were serious
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My 2-day Stay in MBS

Here are my random notes after my two-day stay at MBS (not a review and I don't like to do reviews as they are so subjective):
  • MBS Bus from the airport did not provide advance check-in notice to the front desk.
  • When we arrived, there was only two people checking a decent line of guests waiting to be checked-in
  • The whole ground floor check-in area was chaotic. There seemed to be too many by-standers
  • Rooms are decent, but could be better
  • MBS Hotel is better suited for tourist not for business
  • Restaurants are pricey not that is expected for an establishment such as this
  • Transportation availability is top notch: subway, bus and taxi within short walking distance.
  • Room services food is fairly average (photos to be shown later)
  • Fantastic views from the Sky Park but it is extremely crowded
  • The pool is nice but with that many people, the water is cloudy and too crowded to do any meaningful swimming most of the time.
  • Confusing on which elevators to go up or change to Sky Park.

I will not likely to stay there for family vacation and definitely for business travel unless it is designated by the meeting or conference organizer.

IMHO, it is worth staying there once for the experience.

Here are just my random notes....YEMV!

After two-night stay, I moved to something more familiar...The Grand Hyatt Singapore where I got upgraded to an amazing suite with my personal steam room. Photos to follow!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Grand Hyatt - Singapore 1 of 3

Grand Hyatt Singapore is my usual "Home away from Home" when coming to Singapore for business. The hotel is bit older, but the location is fantastic. The staff is friendly and treats Diamond member well. I have pretty much getting suite upgrade every time I have stayed there (including awards redemption).

On this particular stay, I was expecting a standard one bed room suite, but was surprised they gave me am amazing apartment suit with full size seamless steel equipped kitchen, a dinner room, a living room, a study room, a King-sized bed room, a full bath w/build in steam room.^ A royal treatment indeed!!

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 27, 2013 at 3:45 am
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Grand Hyatt - Singapore 2 of 3

Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:23 pm

I would appreciate any information on the camera, lens and other equipment you use to take these very remarkable photos.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lj1k
An another visually satisfying photo trip report!

One suggestion if you don't mind:

Why not include narratives in your TRs to tell the readers your travel experience? For example, why you take the trip, how was the FA, any great restaurant, hotel service quality, interesting things you see....
Appreciate your comment. My problem with narratives is time. I am busy juggling between family, work and work travels. Going through the photos getting them ready for photo trip report already takes a lot of time.

I will try a more balanced approach with more narratives in one of my upcoming trip reports.

Originally Posted by SAUCflyer
With these outcomes, I wouldn't say that you are fooling around UA_Flyer! Hard to imagine what it would be like if you were serious
Thanks, these are indeed fool-around photos to just satisfy my own curiosity and experiement. Photos are personal and not everyone may like what I come up with, so I will remain non-serious.

Originally Posted by JetAway
I would appreciate any information on the camera, lens and other equipment you use to take these very remarkable photos.
Thanks for your comments and questions

In summary:

Photos taken inside of the airplanes, airports and hotels and food are shot mostly with Canon G12 and iPhone.

Photos taken outdoors, shopping malls and non-food items are mostly shot with Nikon D5100 with a 18-105mm zoom.

The night photos are taken with Nikon D5100 and at shutter speeds no slower than 1/2 speed....this is due to the fact I don't have a tripod, and 1/2 second is the longest I can keep my hands/arms steady without noticable camera shakes shown in the photos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.