Wiki Posts
Search

A New Way to Fly – BA Boeing 777-300ER in First Class – LHR-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:33 am
Original Poster

British Airways has recently introduced Boeing 777-300ER on the Los Angeles to London route this spring season, and I could not resist on giving it a try and see if the new first class cabin is really worth the hype. I normally prefer Boeing 747-400 but given the possibility of last minute aircraft substitution, Boeing 777-300ER flight is the best way to guarantee flying the new first class cabin. I have to say that I am impressed with the new product, which is definitely way better than the old first class product. The new entertainment system is also a significant improvement, but still years behind Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Qatar Airways, and Singapore Airlines. However the universal power outlet is definitely a big thumb up.

April 10, 2012
BA 279 London Heathrow to Los Angeles Lv0940 Arr1300 Boeing 777-300ER G-STBE

Check-in Area:
London Heathrow Terminal Five is very nice, compared to other terminals. The new terminal has lots of natural light and high ceiling. With British Airways and Iberia as the only tenants, the check-in areas are separated into domestic, international, business class and first class area. There is a separate first class check-in area at Area J, and it has a very exclusive atmosphere. There are agents guarding the entrance to the check-in area. There is no queue at these hours and the staffs are efficient but I felt that they are a bit indifferent and lack of warmth. That personable element is not there.

Check-in kiosks

First Class area:

Concord Room:
I finally got access to the Concord Room, which is nice and the service is aiming for individualized service. However I feel that they are a bit understaffed to create that personalized service.

Dining Room

Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Bar

Seating Area

Seating area in the patio

Business Area

The seats are all from the concords – very good idea!

Terminal Five Concourse C

Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Boarding:
Please note that Concourse C requires a long shuttle ride and please allow twenty to thirty minutes of traveling time from the Main Concourse! There is also no lounge at Concourse C and less shops over there. Please plan accordingly. Boarding began at 9:10am and the loading was busy in the back, but first class was less than half full. First class cabin manager greeted me at the entrance, and since the passengers at 1K and 1D also arrived at the same time, things were a bit hassled. Pre-takeoff beverage was served along with pajama and amenity kit.

Headsets, slippers and a light blanket were already provided at the neighbor seat

Gate 65

Entrance – Door One at G-STBE

Flight Information
With the light load, door was closed on time at 9:39am and we pushed back at 9:42am. A good early start! Heathrow was always busy and here was a list of planes taking off before us – BA A320 G-EUPJ, BA 772 G-VIIE, CO 772 N71006, LH A320 D-AIPF, BA A320 G-EUPH, IB A320 EC-HYD, Germanwing A320, BA A321 G-EUXD… After a Delta Boeing 767-400ER N826MH, we took off from R/W27L at 10:10am. Flying time was ten hours and thirty-six hours and here is our flight path: Nottingham-320-Manchester Airport-Southport-Bride-Rathlin Island-330-340-360-Dryden-Drand Forks-Casper-LAS-LAX

Flight Map

Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Cabin
The new cabin is very stylish and “elegant” is the main theme here. Blue and purple are the main colors used, and the cabin combines the right amount of natural and mood lighting. It is not too bright nor too dark. The color does not need a completely dark cabin to enhance it.

Seat
It is obvious that British Airways want to maintain a relatively high-density first class cabin, so British Airways does not follow the newer trend of a completely enclosed suite. However I feel the seat maintains some degrees of privacy especially compared to the older BA seats. The padding is sufficient and the seats are very comfortable in recline and full flat position. The one thing that is interesting that the seats do not have an attached legrest. The neighbor seat is doubled as a footrest that can be lowered towards the floor. As you will notice that the seat control is now adjusted according to a dial system, which is very unique. You just turn the dial to your desire position. There is a takeoff/landing seating and a full flat bed position. There is a small personal lamp on the side, which functions like a night light. Storage spaces are a bit strange, but there is a small closet for jacket and shoes. There is also a small literature pocket, but in general the side table is really your main storage space for small items.

Recommended seats – I actually recommend the seats on the “A” side. On the Boeing 777, the galley is right in front of 1F and 1K, and the F/As really congregated at that area. There is lots of traffic throughout the flight in the K side. Therefore I considered the “A” seats are quieter.

Leg rest – can be raised and lowered – can also be used as neighbor seat

Divider for central seats

Divider closed

Side Table – tray table, multi-power port stations

Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Side Lamp – ambience

Seat Control Console

Window Shade Control and headset port

Entertainment control panel

Personal Television

Window

Window Blind

Personal Closet – jacket and shoe

Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Meals:
There are two meal services on this flight – a full lunch service after takeoff and then afternoon tea an hour and half prior to arrival. The meals were quite nice, compared to Club World and World Traveler Plus. The only disappointment was the entrée and the fish was very bland. The afternoon tea was very nice though and this meal is an one thing that BA does very well. The sandwiches are lovely and the scones are excellent. There is no club world kitchen or bar area, but there is a bistro selection in the menu – refreshment can be ordered at anytime.

Beverage after takeoff with mixed nuts

Wine List
Champagne
Laurent-Perrier Grand Siecle, Champagne, France

White Wine
Meursault Les Clous 2008, Bouchard Pere et Fils, Burgundy, France
Sancerre Cuvee Prestige 2010, Domaine De La Chezatte, Loire Valley, France
Pacific Rim Wallula Vineyard Riesling 2008, Columbia Valley, Washington USA

Red Wines
Chateau Camensac 2005, 5eme Grand Cru Classe Haut-Medoc, Bordeaux, France
Landmark Grand Detour Pinot Noir 2008, Sonoma Coast, California, USA
Dinastia Vivanco Rioja Reserva 2005, Spain

Dessert
Beaulieu La Soucherie 2009, Coteaux du Layon, Domaine Pierre-Bise, Loire, France
Warre’s 1992 Colheita Tawny Port

624W222

Lunch

Bread – choice of multigrain rolls, wheat twist rolls, and garlic focaccia bread

Butter and salt & pepper shakers

Glass of water – purple glass

Amuse bouch – not in menu
Leek and chicken terrine

Starters
Seared Scottish King Scallop with broad bean puree and crispy porchetta

White asparagus with truffle vinaigrette (V)

Leek and potato soup with chive pesto (V)

Fresh spring salad with your choice of balsamic dressing with golden rapeseed oil or blue cheese dressing

Main
British Airways Classic
Roasted Herefordshire fillet of beef, braised beef pie with artichoke barigoule and crispy Iberico ham

Roasted wild cod and seafood tortellini with buttered samphire and morel mushrooms with tomato vinaigrette

Poached and grilled free-range chicken with vegetable nage and Ratte potatoes

Panzanella salad with Parmesan croquette

Bistro Selection
Roasted pork belly and apple sauce with crackling
British Airways Classic – Wagyu Beef burger with Monterrey Jack cheese, gherkin and onion
A selection of biscuits
A selection of cheese and fruit
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Dessert
Raspberry and peach choux with caramelized peaches and peach syrup
Warm hazelnut financier topped with a wild berry compote and mascarpone cream

Ice Cream Sundae
Custom made to your preference of ice cream, sauces and toppings.
Please ask your cabin crew for today’s choices.

Cheese Plate
Rougette
This decadent, soft-ripened triple crème cheese is enveloped in a washed and bloomy rind.

Cropwell Bishop Shropshire Blue
Contains an underlying hint of rich, buttery, caramel while maintaining a smooth blue taste

Quickes Farmhouse Cheddar
A spicy, caramel-flavored cheese with a buttery texture
This is a classic unpasteurized cheese.

Banon
This soft French cheese is made from unpasteurized goat’s milk.
Wrapped in chestnut leaves, this cheese has a woodsy, fruity flavor

Fresh Fruit
Chocolate

Hot tea

Glass of Blue Label

Afternoon Tea
Inspired by the Dorchester

Snacks
An individual selection of sandwiches featuring cucumber with cumin cream cheese, ham hock with piccalilli, Emmenthal and pastrami with mustard mayonnaise and roasted chicken with mustard mayonnaise

Red Onion and goat’s cheese savory Danish (V)

Patisserie
British Airways Classics
Plain or fruit scones served warm with clotted cream and strawberry preserves

Caramelia mousse, cheese cake and carrot cake

Beverages
We offer you a selection of the following Twinings tea
Teas – English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Mint Humbug, Honeycomb Camomile, Red berry Fool and Jasmine Pearls
Coffee – Freshly roasted and ground, decaffeinated, espresso or cappuccino
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Bed Turndown Service:
Really nice bed turndown service with mattress pad and duvet – the armrest will retract in full flat position.

Flight Attendants:
I believe that there is one flight attendant along with first class cabin manager, Julia, serving the first class cabin, and with a smaller load, the purser. Scott, helped out in the Club World cabin. Scott made several greetings throughout the flight – one after takeoff to introduce himself to each passenger, one after lunch, and one prior to arrival into LAX. He was friendly and a good purser always set a good tone for the whole flight. Julia is also friendly and I was addressed by my last name throughout the flight. The service was definitely better in first class, than Club World, World Traveler Plus and World Traveler.

Entertainment:
The new entertainment system is a pleasure, compared to BA’s old unstable system. The new touch screen personal TV is good, and there are many movies, television shows and games. My personal favorite is the “BA TV” section with a good selection of old BOAC videos featuring earlier generation of planes and travels. I love watching how pilots are trained at the earlier era flying the VC-10s, along with other travel programs. The noise-canceling headsets used in first class seem to be a better brand than Club World and World Traveler Plus. However the inflight entertainment library is still years behind from top airlines like Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Qatar Airways, and Singapore Airlines.

Arrival:
Descent began after we passed Las Vegas and Hoover Dam.

Approaching Las Vegas

Descent began at 12:17pm local time, and we landed on R/W25L at 12:46pm. However, our early arrival also meant that our gate was still occupied by a slightly delayed ANA Boeing 777 flight to Narita. We did not park at gate 103 till 1:07pm. WE sandwiched between a Lufthansa Boeing 747-400 D-ABTK and Air Tahiti Nui F-OJTN.
Despite priority tags are not used (which I think BA should use them), my bags came out among the first batch at 1:22pm.

TBIT Tarmac
CX Boeing 777-300ER B-KPR – CX 885

Air Tahiti Nui A340 F-OJTN

In conclusion, the new BA first class cabin improves the flying experiences and is a step towards the right direction. It is clear that BA still has a good demand in first and business class, so enclosed suites will not happen anytime soon. Nonetheless, the improvement on the entertainment programs and power outlets is definitely a positive step. I appreciate the new electrical blinds, as well as the seat control dialing system. The mood lighting is one of the best I have seen till days. In the future, if I have a chance to fly BA first again, flying Boeing 77W and updated Boeing 777-200ER will be my first choice. My next trip report will possibly be Jetblue’s inaugural flight to DFW – not overly exciting but should be an interesting experience.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for this trip report.

The new First looks even better on the brand new 77W and is definitely one that I need to try.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:58 am

Excellent trip report and the new look F class looks a very nice place, all the food photos have made me hungry.... thanks
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:30 am

Fantastic trip report! I'd been hoping to see one of these soon. Lovely cabin, but i'm not sure how I feel about those windows yet. I guess that cod tasted just like it looked. Was the pasta all right?

Please don't take offense, but just wanted to point out that Concorde the plane has an e, unlike the grape. I'm sure others will notice, and you don't want something petty like that to draw attention from the lovely report!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
Great report! It makes me feel like to try BA new F service soon.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: DL DM, AS GMVP, HH & Marriott Gold
Hi Carfield,

Thanks for posting! This was the first picture of the partner seat going down that I've seen, very cool... but, if I understood correct there is no leg rest?! yikes. This is a big turn off for me with a first class seat, I understand in business class, but a leg rest is like heaven because it supports the legs as opposed to just having your feet on the ottoman and the legs in mid air.

I think it was a big mistake not having that side table go down to make the bed larger as they already have a high density design, thus smaller space compared to say CX.

But the look and feel of the cabin seems very elegant and modern British.

Thanks for the pics.
Best,
Kyle
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Great report Carfield. It's good to see a report of NF with plenty of pics and detail.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Wonderful pictures and a great trip report. Thanks for sharing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.