Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Great read.^
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Engrossing report B747-437B....many thanks for taking the time to post it. ^
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:57 pm

Programs: Mucci Master of the Skies, Does anyone read any further than Mucci anyway? BAEC Blue
B747-437B thanks for keeping me up so late . Such an interesting read, I couldn't go to bed until I'd finished it. All the best for wherever life takes you and I hope that your injuries don't cause you any trouble in the years to come.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
I can only second everyone else. A truly fascinating account of what goes on behind the scenes. Thank you!!!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
What a detailed, insightful, informative and entertaining read!

Congratulations on your decision to 'pull the pin' when the time was right. Many do not/cannot do this, and I'm sure your decision will stand you in good stead for the future.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
It's sad that you've left the job, but I can certainly understand the stress and injuries you've gone through. Great report as usual, and let us know where your next job is!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 5:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
I finally finished reading this mini novel! Nice job!^
Old Aug 19, 2010, 5:25 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Rivetting story...and well written. Sorry to see the job eventually was too much, but good to see that you recognized it and did what sounds best for you. Best of luck on finding the next job.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:03 am

Programs: UA
Very interesting story to read and very detailed, loved reading it very much!

Thanks for sharing and giving us an insider view.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Why don't you become a writer?

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Part 6 : Epilogue

I started writing this report in early January, before many of the events recounted here even took place. Over the weeks and months that followed, chronicling the experiences of "The Month Hell (and Europe) Froze Over" helped keep me sane and put things into perspective.

In April, a volcano named Eyjafjallajökull single-handedly caused more trouble in a week than every incident narrated in this report put together. After 5 years doing this job virtually nonstop, I had reached my limit. I'm barely on the wrong side of 30, but my work life was physically affecting my health. Leave aside injured knees and broken teeth, I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I turned in my notice at the end of April and took on a purely advisory role. The following month, my former employers succumbed to the wrath of Eyjafjallajökull and suspended operations. I planned a vacation. As of today, I haven't set foot in an airport for almost 2 months. I'm happier than I've been in years. I'm advising a couple of planned start-up airlines in West Africa. One day, if they get off the ground, I might take on a similar role there.

If the reader could take only one thing away from this report, I would like it to be the reminder that airline employees are human beings too. I've been privileged to work with some superb people. This piece is dedicated to them.

Thanks for reading. May your travels be safe and comfortable.
YOU HAVE TALENT! I am amazed at your ability to recall the small details and write such excellent prose. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for taking the time to show us all how hard all of you work behind the scenes to make things work properly when weather, mechanical and PAX issues abound. I will never be able to watch things unfold when unexpected things arise in the same fashion.

I particularly took delight in so many aspects of your story that I cannot single out any one thing other than your amazing 300,000 miles in 8 days! I thought there were PAX that flew a lot, but that is amazing. I am sad to see that this lifestyle got the better of you, but from what I read, you surely could take up work as a business writer for the airline industry in a flash. I think in fact that this is your REAL TALENT. Please have anyone considering hiring you for this read this amazing account of a few days in your life.

CHeers!!!!!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC, HH, PC
I have to say I was dissappointed when I reached the end because I was so engrossed I wanted to keep on reading about what happened next. What a fantastic story - by far and away the best post I've read on here.

^
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: QF WP, QP Life, LT Gold, AA, DL
Thank you.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a fascinating read. As probably one of the few FTers for whom the names Ghardaia and the M'zab are loaded with personal meaning without having actually been there, the hyperreal feeling at reading this was quite an uncanny bonus.

Thanks again for those superb posts!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Having heard bits and pieces of this in person just last week (thanks again - you were a most gracious and generous host!) getting to read the whole story was truly a pleasure. Simply wonderful.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Awesome report. Best thing i've ever read on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.