Reload this Page >

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by JDiver
In Mexico, and I have years of living and visiting my family, relatives and friends there, taxi drivers are not tipped; they do not expect it.
Matches my experience also, when traveling there on business and catching taxis with Mexican colleagues. Wiki updated.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:45 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

As several members have previously stated, and as this thread wiki states up front, this thread is a foreign tipping guide and is not for commentary on the good or evil of the custom of tipping. I've deleted those posts which went off the topic of this thread as well as the valid observations of members as to the thread's purpose.

Let's re-focus on the unique, stated purpose of this thread, going forward. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, for the TravelBuzz Moderator team.
Old May 9, 2015, 1:02 pm

In Ukraine 10% seems to be the standard.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:54 am

Is there a reason this thread is completely devoid of bar tipping etiquette? Maybe I'm a bit younger than the core demo here (?), but it seems strange that bar info is nowhere to be found.
Old May 19, 2015, 2:22 am

The recommendation for Germany seems off. In in restaurants just under 10% are customary, always rounding up to full amounts. If the service is not so great, I would still give about 5%.

These are minimum wage jobs in Germany and the tip is an expected part of their salary.
Old May 19, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by sedubby
Is there a reason this thread is completely devoid of bar tipping etiquette? Maybe I'm a bit younger than the core demo here (?), but it seems strange that bar info is nowhere to be found.
I've only seen tipping bartenders in the US. So it may need a note there, but you could write a novel on tipping in the US.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:31 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Alex71
The recommendation for Germany seems off. In in restaurants just under 10% are customary, always rounding up to full amounts. If the service is not so great, I would still give about 5%.

These are minimum wage jobs in Germany and the tip is an expected part of their salary.
Are you working in the hospitality service industry ? There is no such thing as percentage tipping in Germany, rounding up, yes.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by behuman
Are you working in the hospitality service industry ? There is no such thing as percentage tipping in Germany, rounding up, yes.
No, fortunately not, I enjoy my job in software marketing.

Knigge is the ultimate authority on good manners and appropriate behavior in the Germany. The recommendation there is also 5-10%. http://www.knigge.de/archiv/artikel/...nigge-6317.htm

In recent years, the expectation has crept up more towards 10% though.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)

Never met a German who would tip for mediocre service, save perhaps rounding up to the next Euro. Wiki entry seems fine by me. Perhaps different in large cities, or maybe depends on the circles you move in. Certainly not any kind of expectation on the part of the waitstaff.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
No, fortunately not, I enjoy my job in software marketing.

Knigge is the ultimate authority on good manners and appropriate behavior in the Germany. The recommendation there is also 5-10%.
Thank you, an interesting read. Funny that the reality is far from that. I never left any tip anywhere in Europe and all people around me from different countries do the same. This does not exclude rounding up tough.

Note: In the UK there is often a 10 % surcharge or the clear statement that service is not included. This means of course that this amount will be added to be fair.

The fact that many people appear to do same me in Europe explains perhaps that our US friends are very welcome guests.....
Old May 20, 2015, 7:52 am
mag

Programs: LH M&M, FTL / *S

+1

A tip in a restaurant or pub is definitely expected at least in cities. Common is what Alex71 described and I would recommend altering the description in the wiki.

Another way of judging could be: rounding off for small amounts like just a beer / drink / coffee, around 10% for lunch / dinner with good service and if the bill is really "high" (which is of course relative), you go lower (e.g. my feeling is that a single waiter serving a couple resulting in a 300 EUR bill would not expect 30 EUR...).
Old May 20, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by mag
+1

A tip in a restaurant or pub is definitely expected at least in cities. Common is what Alex71 described and I would recommend altering the description in the wiki.

Another way of judging could be: rounding off for small amounts like just a beer / drink / coffee, around 10% for lunch / dinner with good service and if the bill is really "high" (which is of course relative), you go lower (e.g. my feeling is that a single waiter serving a couple resulting in a 300 EUR bill would not expect 30 EUR...).
Yes, agreed! The higher the amount, the lower the percentage. For bills above 100 EUR I would also tend to tip closer to 5 than to 10%.

A factor for me personally is also the amount of effort that is involved, e.g. treating a large group of non-German speaking colleagues to dinner which creates the need for the wait staff to spend more time explaining / translating the menu or having little kids with us that leave more of a mess than adults would do. In these cases I always tip towards the upper end of the range.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:41 am

Yes, agreed! The higher the amount, the lower the percentage. For bills above 100 EUR I would also tend to tip closer to 5 than to 10%.
This is rounding up then - not tipping, (example 104 EUR = 110 EUR) we are ending up to agree ^
Old May 21, 2015, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by behuman
This is rounding up then - not tipping, (example 104 EUR = 110 EUR) we are ending up to agree ^
In this example I would definitely do the same. Had the bill been 107.80 EUR though, I would not just round it to 110, but make it 114 or 115.

So rounding up is definitely part of it, but it should still fall in the appropriate range. I agree though, that there is a draw towards round numbers. For me, everything between 102 EUR and 105 EUR would become 110 EUR.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
Germans usually round up, even with waiters like me, who spoke German with a heavy accent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.