Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm wondering if we should be adding hotel housekeeping to the discussion / wikipost?
It would have been useful today as our group was trying to figure out an appropriate tip for our guesthouse in South Africa, and we had no idea what would be appropriate. Multiple online sources were very much conflicting, and many suggested a higher amount than most of us tip for housekeeping in the US. I vote yes.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by jackal
It would have been useful today as our group was trying to figure out an appropriate tip for our guesthouse in South Africa, and we had no idea what would be appropriate. Multiple online sources were very much conflicting, and many suggested a higher amount than most of us tip for housekeeping in the US. I vote yes.
this thread explains SA well
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Any experiences in Ethiopia?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Palal
Thanks--helpful. I've added a link to it to the wiki.
Old May 15, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I think the entry on Finland is a tad bit too koscher.

Sure, it's not expected/required by custom or law that you tip in a restaurant/bar, but as a Finn (and also one who was been tipped myself in the past for my services), I'd like to point out it's recommendable for exceptional service. If you feel like it, then go for it. There's no other way really to underline that you've done a great job.

We Finns are often reluctant to tip here at home, but generally speaking outstanding/great service is tipped especially in proper á la carte eateries. So it's not seen as rude to tip in Finland, unlike certain other countries. It's actually more effective here, because as tipping isn't all too commonplace, it says that you really enjoyed the service.

As for taxis, sure, tipping is actually pretty customary, but not expected/required. However it's more commonplace than in restaurants. If you get an outstanding ride and the driver is helpful, then I do recommend a small tip (round up, if paying by cash, or slip him/her a few 1-2€ coins, if paying by card).

Tipping is never expected in Finland, but it stands out in a positive way, if you want to give special credit for the service.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:35 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Sure, it's not expected/required by custom or law that you tip in a restaurant/bar,
I think the purpose of this thread is to let people know what the local customs are in each country. If most of the locals don't tip because it's not required by custom, then that is what the thread should say.

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
I'd like to point out it's recommendable for exceptional service
Recommended by whom?

There are several countries where the thread says "none". Perhaps we should make a distinction between countries like Finland, where tipping is not the norm but would be appreciated for exceptional service, and countries like Japan, where it is seen as insulting. Perhaps "none required, but tolerated." I would say "not recommended" when the majority of locals don't tip.

Last edited by cbn42; May 23, 2016 at 2:53 am
Old May 22, 2016, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
I would say "recommended" when the majority of locals don't tip.
Did you mean to write "not recommended"?
Old May 23, 2016, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by mmff
Did you mean to write "not recommended"?
I did. Thanks. It has been corrected.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:39 pm

Japan, where (tipping) is seen as insulting.
It would not be seen as insulting; it would simply seem odd,
and would be understood to be a cultural misunderstanding.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
oh man, this is the best thread ever...definitely referencing next time i'm in a new country
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by muji
It would not be seen as insulting; it would simply seem odd,
and would be understood to be a cultural misunderstanding.
Correct. Trying to tip in Japan is odd, indeed. But when Japanese visitors come to US, wonder how they feel when tipping is customary and expected?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Seems like a list designed for Americans only. I live in HK and never tip anywhere; never seen anyone tip here - the taxi's drivers will return 50c (less than 0.1USD)! In Australia in a small cafe I once witnessed an American trying to tip. The waitress returned the money with a stern warning that "we don't want that kind of behaviour to catch on in Australia".....
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by fairhsa
Seems like a list designed for Americans only. I live in HK and never tip anywhere; never seen anyone tip here - the taxi's drivers will return 50c (less than 0.1USD)! In Australia in a small cafe I once witnessed an American trying to tip. The waitress returned the money with a stern warning that "we don't want that kind of behaviour to catch on in Australia".....
It seems like a lot of the entries were made by tourists rather than locals. It's also possible that tipping is more expected at locations where Americans tend to visit. If you have local knowledge of any of these countries, please do make corrections.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:31 am

great job.. very worthy thread you have framed here.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
It seems like a lot of the entries were made by tourists rather than locals. It's also possible that tipping is more expected at locations where Americans tend to visit. If you have local knowledge of any of these countries, please do make corrections.
This has been evident from the OP.

With the addition from Magellan added on rather early, it seems to me as entering many countries without any other information input than US SOP.

Some countries are listed with very small travel/tourist input, like Brunei and Oman. Countries like Panama, with a large amount of foreign travellers, and even many people relocating after retirement, is however not. Beeing on the phone right now, I'll try to make an amendment later.

Interestingly in Panama, very few restaurants add a service fee of 10%. Those that don't, do not expect anything added. In fact yesterday, when we were very happy with a dinner (food drink, service and more), I tried to enter an addition of 15% on the cardreader, but was mildly corrected by the Maitre d' , who first asked if we came from USA. After a No, he said that "tips" was not expected, as it was included in the menu prices, and deleted my addition on the debit.

Last edited by onobond; Aug 26, 2016 at 2:00 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.