Reload this Page >

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:38 pm

SINGAPORE: Is it really no tipping as wiki suggests? When I've gone to Singapore, I always tipped bellmen, drivers and housekeeper since I read somewhere that you're supposed to. Everyone readily accepted without hesitation.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
SINGAPORE: Is it really no tipping as wiki suggests? When I've gone to Singapore, I always tipped bellmen, drivers and housekeeper since I read somewhere that you're supposed to. Everyone readily accepted without hesitation.
Where in Singapore did you stay?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:21 pm

Stayed at Hilton Singapore Orchard.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I live in Singapore and can confirm no tips expected or required. You probably won't offend anyone by trying, but some may find your behaviour a bit odd outside of high-end hotels. I haven't tipped once here and have never seen anyone else around me try (locals, work colleagues, anyone).
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by User Name
I live in Singapore and can confirm no tips expected or required. You probably won't offend anyone by trying, but some may find your behaviour a bit odd outside of high-end hotels. I haven't tipped once here and have never seen anyone else around me try (locals, work colleagues, anyone).
Okay, that's great to know. Actually I just pulled out my Singapore guidebook (it's a Japanese publication), and it says tips are generally not required in Singapore although one could consider tipping if you get good service and should leave a small tip for cab drivers. Obviously I'm going to trust your info, since you're local. I wonder if some of these travel guides like to overly error on the side of making visitors spend more. I will not tip next time I'm in Singapore.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Okay, that's great to know. Actually I just pulled out my Singapore guidebook (it's a Japanese publication), and it says tips are generally not required in Singapore although one could consider tipping if you get good service and should leave a small tip for cab drivers. Obviously I'm going to trust your info, since you're local. I wonder if some of these travel guides like to overly error on the side of making visitors spend more. I will not tip next time I'm in Singapore.
Not even cab drivers. They’ll have over your exact change so quickly - tipping simply isn’t a thing.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:08 pm

Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
The essay does reveal that it's not only Americans who go abroad and tell their hosts how much better run things are at home.

This travel writer, whose piece includes this assumption - "It is also, apparently, the done thing to tip maids when you leave for the morning, up to $5 (£3.77) a day." - would have benefited from being an FT member and subscribing to this thread, discussing appropriate tipping (or not) in various countries, rather than debating whether or not it should exist.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:00 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
I was just in Montreal, Canada and I experience everything from we don't need your tip to you need to tip me for bringing you to your seat.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NLNO
What is written about the Netherlands is wrong. Prices for a restaurant meal here includes everything, including any gratitude. 5%-10% tips are unheard of. Waiters will get very happy if you give them €1 after your meal (depending on the size of party and duration of the meal of course).

I have also never heard anyone tipping cleaning staff in hotels or anywhere else here in the Netherlands.
Is this still accurate? I have been in Amsterdam all week and about 50% of the servers ask me if I want to add anything after they tell me the total. About 20% of the digital card readers have asked me if I wanted to add a tip.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
Is this still accurate? I have been in Amsterdam all week and about 50% of the servers ask me if I want to add anything after they tell me the total. About 20% of the digital card readers have asked me if I wanted to add a tip.
Maybe they not only know about the US tipping culture, but also recognize when they hear American English spoken.

IMHO, the best guides on tipping is given by those who live in that particular country.
LearningToFly likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:04 pm
Suspended

you shouldn't tip ever in Australia. Wages are very high already.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:19 pm

Unless you have a very strong need of recognition and gratefulness...
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:52 pm

What's the traditional tip on a taxi ride in Vegas? % or set #?

(Yes, I'm aware they're scammy, but between lyft's surge pricing and long waits in the summer heat if I know what a fair price to my destination is I'm willing to chance it to save time.)
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:09 pm
Suspended

UK room service

In the UK, ist it appropriate to tip room service if the is no percentual service charge on the check but merely a tray charge of 3 or 4 GBP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.