Reload this Page >

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:03 pm

Need advice for Egypt; Have arranged for a hotel car to pick me up and transport me airport to hotel. Four-star hotel. roughly. The fare is (seemingly high) 50 euros; tip? How much? Since I'll be "just off the plane", I either need to tip dollars, Euros or change money first. Thoughts? Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Need advice for Egypt; Have arranged for a hotel car to pick me up and transport me airport to hotel. Four-star hotel. roughly. The fare is (seemingly high) 50 euros; tip? How much? Since I'll be "just off the plane", I either need to tip dollars, Euros or change money first. Thoughts? Thanks!
Did you look in the wikipost?

Egypt
W/W: 5% to 10% plus service charge
P: $1 per bag
TD: Round up

Also, they call tipping "baksheesh": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baksheesh (Look under "Types" for Egypt)
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:31 am

Programs: PC platinum ambassador, Hz gold Five stars,SAS silver
Just went to Azerbaijan.
People are not really expecting any tips except for places packed with foreigners where it's common to give 10%.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:35 am

Programs: PC platinum ambassador, Hz gold Five stars,SAS silver
Armenia: Tipping is expected in many places in Yerevan. Food is amazingly cheap so paying an extra 10 or 20% will not make a huge difference.
I went to a very nice caucasian restaurant with a colleague and his 3 kids, we had a separate private room and I paid 25 euros for a table full of food.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:19 am

Very useful information, thanks for sharing it
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:42 am
Suspended

I like that the UK entry is about 5x as long as every other country...
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by greggarious
There is no other country where you can take a 'River Thames Boat Tour', so the UK is the only place where you need detailed information on how to properly tip your guide after the tour.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
When was it 10% in the USA? Pre 1970?

15%, 18%, and 20% are all acceptable levels of tipping in the US (in my opinion).

15% is reserved for truly poor service.

If I feel like the service is so bad that I intend to tip less than 15%, then I will ask the manager to intervene.
Interesting.

I'm not from the US, but am there fairly often, and the way I see it, 15% means they did a job up to about the standard I would expect. If they were truly hopeless, they get *NO* tip. Period. Call me all the nasty names under the Sun you like, but if your job is to make a good impression on me, so that I'll give you 15% more than the bill, then you should probably make sure you do a fair job of it - it's not that hard to smile and be polite.

Having said that, I'll happily give 30% for truly outstanding service - and there have been a few of these.

Z...
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Agreed, and I am from the US. (Though I'd never give 30%.) I hate the culture of tipping. But 15% is "good job." 12% is "OK" and 18% is "great job." Really out of this world, rare, is 20%. Really awful is no tip. The tip is NOT mandatory.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by greggarious
And also largely rubbish

The UK needs splitting into the 'UK' and 'Zone 1 London'. That guide is clearly for the latter^
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by phol
And also largely rubbish

The UK needs splitting into the 'UK' and 'Zone 1 London'. That guide is clearly for the latter^
It's a wiki. What's stopping you from doing that?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Yes, this is a good guide. When I was in Korea, I tried tipping but the waiter gave me back the tip. I think this was insulting.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by jackal
It's a wiki.
I did not know that ^
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by flyerhog
Yes, this is a good guide. When I was in Korea, I tried tipping but the waiter gave me back the tip. I think this was insulting.
To you or to the waiter?

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Agreed, and I am from the US. (Though I'd never give 30%.) I hate the culture of tipping. But 15% is "good job." 12% is "OK" and 18% is "great job." Really out of this world, rare, is 20%. Really awful is no tip. The tip is NOT mandatory.
Fair enough, I think your practices are well within reason and a fine guide for anyone to follow.

I happen to tip a little heavier in most cases, but it is clearly a personal thing...

On a $100 dollar bill, the difference between your 'good job' (15%) and great job (18%) is only $3.00.

This kind of calculation is what actually causes me to tip higher... I worked my way through college waiting tables and bartending. At this point in my life, when tipping, I usually figure that the waitperson needs those extra $2 or $3 more than I need them!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
To the waiter of course! The waving of the hand and the stern no was cherry on top.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.