Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: wen
This should be a sticky!

[Moderator note: We agree, and that's why we made it one of the forum's few sticky threads several years ago. Ocn Vw 1K.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Feb 18, 2014 at 9:00 am Reason: To reply to member.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:13 am
Suspended

Thanks for sharing useful information. Keep updating...
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:10 pm

Indonesia: W/W is not necessary at all. 90%+ of locals do not tip in restaurants there. Most restaurants where tourists eat already have a "service charge". Please help keep Indonesia free from the overtipping culture of certain western countries! (Bribes, unfortunately, are far far more common, but that is a whole other story.)
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by greenery-travel
Indonesia: W/W is not necessary at all. 90%+ of locals do not tip in restaurants there. Most restaurants where tourists eat already have a "service charge". Please help keep Indonesia free from the overtipping culture of certain western countries! (Bribes, unfortunately, are far far more common, but that is a whole other story.)
+ big number ^
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[Moderator note: We agree, and that's why we made it one of the forum's few sticky threads several years ago. Ocn Vw 1K.]
Sticky is really nice, but the info in post #1 hasn't been updated in more than 2 years. And the input from tourists still seems to trump what the locals say.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
So what that post #1 hasn't been updated in quite some time? It's a wiki now which has been updated quite a bit, so no need to update the OP.

And for the most part, the local information seems to prevail. Maybe locals can "sign" it (like by Israel, how it specifically says that any cabdriver asking for a tip is cuz he knows you're a tourist, which will stop a tourist who thinks the situation is otherwise from editing that).
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
So what that post #1 hasn't been updated in quite some time? It's a wiki now which has been updated quite a bit, so no need to update the OP.
Oops, thanks. I really hadn't noticed that is was now a wiki. So I guess I can edit the parts that I don't agree with.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Oops, thanks. I really hadn't noticed that is was now a wiki. So I guess I can edit the parts that I don't agree with.
Well, feel free to correct any inaccuracies might be a better way of thinking about it
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Lightbulb

With friends both among restaurateurs and waters/waitresses (of whom 2 hold positions in their union) in Sweden, I'd like to suggest some corrections:

1. Service charge is not added to restaurant bills in Sweden. It was added many years ago, when it was customary to tip 10%, and w/w were taxated as per 8%. The Hotel & Restaurant workers Union negotiated that to 13,5%, to enable other staff, ie cooks & washers etc, to share.

As this sum was not considered pay from the employer, it was not grounds for sick-leave pay or pensions. The Union made strong effort to negociate that this "fee" on the bill was included in the price, thus included in the base for sick leave pay & pensions.

After that, legislation in Sweden has made it a rule that every price offered to anyone in the public is final, ie no add-ons of VAT, service charge etc is made.

Hence no "rule" of adding 10% or any other level of tips exists. At one's own discretion, adding anything extra to the bill is appreciated, but not mandatory. W/w are not paid minimum wages to rely on tips, but comparable salary to other branches of the service industry.

2. Porters to carry bags is a species almost extinct in Sweden. A small number of the best hotels in the three most populated might have them, but in general you are supposed to take care of the luggage yourself. Where porters are found, they also are salaried according to the service industry. A tip is not mandatory, but welcome.

3. Although organized in a different Union, Taxi drivers got the same agreement as w/w as per tips. For long, Taxis in Sweden have accepted cc payment. After the introduction of chip cc's, where the payment is momentanous, very few pax use cash for taxi payment. This is also beneficial for the trade, as it significantly reduces the risk of cabby robbery. Paying with cash, rounding up the sum is not unusual, but more for the convenience of the driver, not to find coin change. Paying with cc, extremely unusual. Of course if you travel wit a lot of heavy bags and get more help than expected, you might want to show gratitude.

My suggestion:

Sweden
W/W: 0
P: 0
TD: 0
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I have been on FT almost 6 years. Only just spotted this thread. Wonderful resource. Thank you all
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
The STICKY for Hong Kong is WRONG.

There is no such thing of 10% tip if no service charge.

The local's tradition is to leave the coins as tips ($0.10, $0.20, $0.50, $1, $2, $5, $10), but you NEVER leave the paper currency ($10, $20, $50, $100, etc)

Even for coins, most people won't leave the $10 coin as that is a bit much for tips.

For cabs, it is round up.

While tips are not mandatory or insulting like in Japan, expect very little to no tip at all, there are no fix percentage of tips required in general.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 11, 2014 at 4:47 pm
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
The STICKY for Hong Kong is WRONG.
It's not a sticky, it's a wiki. If it's wrong, change it.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:13 pm

The new Starbucks App will allow you to add a tip!

Hallelujah!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Maybe it somewhere in these 31 pages, but what about free food? If I eat a free snack at, say, an airline lounge, do I tip anywhere, even the U.S.? I understand a tip in the jar for the bartender (or, today, "mixologist"). When I lived in easterrn Europe, tipping was very unusual, but accepted; when I lived in China, waiters were insulted if you left a tip; and, now in Korea, tipping is being to get into vogue. My Korean relatives often tip in advance to ensure good service at restaurants - maybe 10%. So, in Korea, it's coming!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by relangford
Maybe it somewhere in these 31 pages, but what about free food? If I eat a free snack at, say, an airline lounge, do I tip anywhere, even the U.S.? I understand a tip in the jar for the bartender (or, today, "mixologist"). When I lived in easterrn Europe, tipping was very unusual, but accepted; when I lived in China, waiters were insulted if you left a tip; and, now in Korea, tipping is being to get into vogue. My Korean relatives often tip in advance to ensure good service at restaurants - maybe 10%. So, in Korea, it's coming!
I've never tipped for free food, and most especially not if it's self-service. I can't think of a single time where you'd tip for self-service (you're supposed to tip ~10%-ish at buffets (low for the U.S. but accepted at buffets), but that's for the "waitstaff" who are really more "bussers" than "waitstaff"). I don't usually tip bartenders at airline clubs for things that should be free (and, frankly, should be self-service), like soft drinks, although I usually do tip a buck for the complimentary house beer or wine (there's sort of a soft rule of etiquette that you tip for alcohol)...although since all the domestic U.S. clubs moved to undrinkable swill, I haven't had anything to drink in the clubs in awhile, so I'm saving money by not having to tip, either.

I have yet to come across free food that wasn't self-service served in a country that has a tradition of tipping (the clubs in the U.S. certainly don't serve anything for free), so I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation.

I say the above as a usually very generous tipper (although I respect local customs and scale back as appropriate overseas).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.