Search

Disgusting Things You've Seen Inflight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Calchas
Which airline is this?
I can't remember. Possibly Thai, Malaysian or Singapore F or J. I got up to go to the bathroom and someone had just come out of it. She FA was flapping about apologising and asking me to wait a moment. I could only see her cleaning the basin area then she got a new piece of paper towel and wet it slightly then wiped it all over the floor and got another piece of paper towel and dried it.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
1. Many comments about use of chewing tobacco and spitting, etc. I thought "smokeless tobacco" was banned on airplanes, why didn't people report this to FA?

2. I don't know why so many people think clipping fingernails is disgusting.
Do you clip your nails at a restaurant, at a bar or at your office?

An aircraft is a public space
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Do you clip your nails at a restaurant, at a bar or at your office?

I think it's a little different on an airplane, especially on a very long flight, where you're kind of confined. I don't do extensive manicuring but if I have a ragged nail or hangnail I'll snip it off discreetly. Either that or you can watch me chew on it for a long time. I certainly don't clip a nail or comb my hair while food is on the trays, but if everyone had to retire to the lavatory to do these minor chores they would be even more crowded than they are! The close confines of airplane seats require us to put up with people's daily activities more than we would probably like - such as listening to personal conversations, hearing people snore, etc. But I don't think we need to call all of it "disgusting".
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:05 pm

Actually, it's not. An aircraft is owned property. A public place is a street, a park, etc., where no one owns it
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Bad smelling passengers

Living in NYC I'm curious about something. Is there a point where a passenger smells so bad that they're not allowed on a flight? In NYC in public transit, there are subway cars that are empty due to a foul smelling passenger, and sometimes a bus empties on one end due to a bad smelling passenger. What happens on an airplane?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
When someone says public space, it does not necessarily
mean public-owned space. More likely a place accessible
to the public or at least a sizable segment thereof.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmh1204
Actually, it's not. An aircraft is owned property. A public place is a street, a park, etc., where no one owns it
Of course. It's a private space used for a public purpose, such as a shop floor or a cinema. I meant to distinguish this from a private space used for a private purpose, such as my bedroom.

Originally Posted by violist
When someone says public space, it does not necessarily
mean public-owned space. More likely a place accessible
to the public or at least a sizable segment thereof.
This is what I meant but of course I can see why it would be confusing to someone using a different definition.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by closetasfan
Living in NYC I'm curious about something. Is there a point where a passenger smells so bad that they're not allowed on a flight?
Yes, but at the judgement and discretion of the gate agent or flight attendant. If you notice a passenger who stinks really bad and the doors are still open, you can alert a FA and point out the situation while there's a chance to do something about it.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:26 pm

Why use the changing table, there's two empty seats

First time I've experienced this on a flight, and also for the 20 year veteran FA on the flight. Family of three, one of which was a toddler about 4 years old board our WN flight from Denver to Houston. Flight was only about half full so plenty of open seats. Near the end of boarding there's a commotion at the back of the cabin. The father apparently decided to change his sons diaper but jumped the gun, his son wasn't finished with his business - not even near finished. As a parent myself I can attest to malfunctions like this happening with kids, although I would have retired to the lav to take care of the change.

But dad figured he had empty seats so why bother going to the lav, just do it in the spare seat. I didn't see the actual damage but the FA's comment told all - "I have a German Shepherd and he doesn't even poop that much!" According to witnesses it was in the seat as well as on the floor. And what did dad do about it? He did what any other self respecting father would do (NOT!), he just simply changed seats and left the mess there! If that wasn't bad enough he didn't tell anyone and one of the boarding passengers steps right in the mess. That was the initial cause of the commotion.

Several ground crew members stepped aboard (in haz-mat suits?) and took care of the mess, and the lady's shoe. Never a word of apology from the father. Luckily the "fragrance" never seemed to make its way to the front of the cabin but I'll bet the folks in row 25 and beyond had an uncomfortable flight. Where do some folks get their manners and sensibilities?
Old May 7, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
After reading this thread I guess I will have to stop licking my feet after visiting the lav barefoot or with socks on.
Old May 9, 2016, 5:28 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Not exactly in flight but this guy.

Name:  26097571543_54ec0898e7_c.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  127.9 KB

Name:  26097570723_ce5842b4fd_c.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  26635616361_4209609ed2_c.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  99.1 KB
Old May 9, 2016, 6:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TOMFORD

Attachment 7723

Attachment 7724

Attachment 7725
it seems like he just woke up in early morning after sleeping without socks and tried to have a meal
Old May 9, 2016, 6:36 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Yea perfectly normal.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TOMFORD

Attachment 7723

Attachment 7724

Attachment 7725
What am I missing?
Old May 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
What am I missing?
No shirt, NO SHOES, no service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.