GF in coach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GF in coach?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
My husband and I have had the upgrade issue come up before when we're traveling. On Delta, it is actually a bit more complicated to refuse an upgrade than to request one since its all automated now. I forgot to call ahead of time and tell them I didn't want an upgrade on a trip where my ticket was paid for and I used points for my husband. I didn't want to part with enough points to put him in first class so I thought that we'd both just sit by each other in coach... he's the only person I don't mind sitting that close to me! Well, I went to the Crown Room, and they said I'd already been upgraded. I offered the FC seat to my husband, who doesn't fly often, and he said he'd rather sit by me. I pressed him like, "you're sure, baby? really I wouldn't mind and you'd have fun... I sit up there all the time... you're totally welcome to take it..." and he insisted he'd rather sit by me. He's great! Anyway, we asked if I could have my old seat back and they gave it back to me. Then, at the gate, the agent was calling my name, and I approached, and she tried to hand me a different FC ticket... I laughed and explained what happened and that I wanted to sit by my husband, but again I gave my husband the opportunity to take it, and he refused. All the gate agents oohed and ahhed over what a sweet husband he was. They gave me my old seat back and called the next person up, who had heard the whole exchange and was thrilled to have the FC seat.

Its nice to be married to somebody who doesn't try to trade up and leave me behind at the first opportunity.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:32 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy
Well, I went to the Crown Room, and they said I'd already been upgraded. I offered the FC seat to my husband, who doesn't fly often, and he said he'd rather sit by me. I pressed him like, "you're sure, baby? really I wouldn't mind and you'd have fun... I sit up there all the time... you're totally welcome to take it..." and he insisted he'd rather sit by me. He's great!
It's great that you see it that way. Many people would be annoyed to give a present (FC upgrade) away to a stranger, just because the SO wants to sit next to you another few hours. I would much more enjoy my SO spending some nice time in FC (assuming the SO doesn't fly often) than be cramped together in economy. There will be enough time to share stories after the flight again.

HTB.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Pinky
She maintains he is not a selfish person and is selfish only about his upgrades.
BS. If he's selfish about his upgrades, he'll be selfish about other things where his comfort/interests are more important than hers.

When I gave my sister an Int'l F Award & was traveling w/ her, I bought an E ticket & upgraded to C. I could have given her a C award so we could travel together or even given her an E award & let her ride in the back, but I wanted her to experience Int'l F as it was her first trip out of the country & Int'l F is certainly much better than domestic F. You do stuff like that for people you care about.

Giving a non FF (especially one you supposedly care about if you're living w/ them) the upgrade would have been the right thing to do - or split it, so he gets it one way & she gets it the other if he didn't want to 'suffer' E for 10 hours out of his entire lifetime.

Still say to the boyfriend.

Cheers.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Well folks, she says he was already upgraded for their flight today and she believes she'll be riding in back again. She has read all your posts and agrees with the majority and I suggested she ask about switching halfway through the flight... Remember this is JFK to LAX now. I also said they should let the FA know so she might get some special treatment. She maintains he is not a selfish person and is selfish only about his upgrades. I am quoting her and this is not my relationship so it's not personally how I would handle or accept it. She is leaving soon for the airport so I told her to call me if he does relent in the end.
He is going to let her ride in the back again?!?!?! Did he even try to upgrade her as well?

Sorry, that is selfish.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
BS. If he's selfish about his upgrades, he'll be selfish about other things where his comfort/interests are more important than hers.
I agree completely. It doesn't say very much about how he'll respond to other situations life presents in the future, if they have a future. He should have offered the upgrade to her, at the very least, even if he ended up taking it for himself if she declined... that would still have been better than just taking it.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well folks, she says he was already upgraded for their flight today and she believes she'll be riding in back again....She maintains he is not a selfish person and is selfish only about his upgrades.
Well it's her fantasy world, not yours. She is shacking up with a guy who thinks about his own comfort first as we can see from his travel patterns when they go someplace together. Either she has low self esteem issues or she needs to move out and either get a place of her own or find a roomate. The guy is using her.

I'm glad your friend is reading this. Tell her she deserves better than this guy!!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

to OP > sounds to me like the guy can be a complete a** ****
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:02 pm

Programs: VX elevate ,CO Gold,DL GM
Originally Posted by Analise
Well it's her fantasy world, not yours. She is shacking up with a guy who thinks about his own comfort first as we can see from his travel patterns when they go someplace together. Either she has low self esteem issues or she needs to move out and either get a place of her own or find a roomate. The guy is using her.

I'm glad your friend is reading this. Tell her she deserves better than this guy!!
if she is living with him ,his place .she would be using him even if he gets good benefits from her .
Old Aug 26, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Platinum
Well folks, she says he was already upgraded for their flight today and she believes she'll be riding in back again.
I was on the fence until this. For the first >100 posts, I thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt - maybe he just didn't think about whether the ride up front may have been a nice perk to give to her. I've got a brother with a heart of gold, but sometime he just doesn't think. I could see him looking at this situation, and thinking that he was being very nice already by buying the ticket for her. But, I'm sure if my brother's GF told him that she was disappointed in the fact that he sat up front, she'd get the UG on the return. Not offering up the UG once is one thing... but then not offering it up the second time, after knowing it was an issue... well, now that's not cool.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the window vs aisle seat discussion from "The Wedding Singer". It's essentially the same thing - giving up the better seat to the GF, when she's never had the experience. If the OP's friend was as classy as Glenn was in that movie, he's not going to be around too long.

I still don't think we're getting the whole, unbiased story, though... I'd like to see the OP's friend and GF both post with their sides of the debate, so we can understand what's also influenced this decision...
Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:32 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by DillMan
It has nothing to do with Gender, Age, etc etc etc. It just has to do with manners.....
BINGO!!!!!
^^^^
Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
IMHO, she should get upgraded.... to a better bf!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 6:41 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I've been thinking about this case once more.

What is so bad for the GF about this deal:

"I'll buy you a ticket, but when I get an upgrade I will take it."

The alternative could be:

"You buy your own ticket, and when I get upgraded I will give it to you."

HTB.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by htb
I've been thinking about this case once more.

What is so bad for the GF about this deal:

"I'll buy you a ticket, but when I get an upgrade I will take it."

The alternative could be:

"You buy your own ticket, and when I get upgraded I will give it to you."

HTB.
According to the story posted in the OP, the exchange has nothing to do with who provided the ticket but the fact that the BF (in this case) was an FF'er and therefore deserved the upgrade.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 6:59 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
The way he he handled the upgrade indicates that he thinks of himself before he thinks of her. Not a good sign. I wonder what would have happened if the situation were reversed? But most important is how she sees it. If she doesn't have a problem with it, then it's not a problem.

I wonder if he read O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi" in junior high school . . .

Last edited by youreadyfreddie; Aug 27, 2007 at 7:22 pm
Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:02 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy

Its nice to be married to somebody who doesn't try to trade up and leave me behind at the first opportunity.

No more calls. We have a winner here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.