GF in coach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GF in coach?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pinky
I am actually friends with both of them although my opinion has pissed him off... Yes, I think he should have given her the F seat or sat with her, not because she's female but because he gets to fly in F all the time and she doesn't get to experience it and because it would be a nice effort on his part to show how he feels about her. However, my opinion and my saying that FT members would agree with me has gotten me into a lot of trouble. If they don't both get upgraded on the way back and she has to sit in back again, I recommended she print out these posts and show him how wrong he is...

Incidentally, on a recent flight from EWR to SFO in F on CO, a FA was berating a gentleman for having his wife sit with the kids in the back. He kept maintaining that she didn't want to sit in F. The FA wouldn't let him have his sundae and brought it to his wife. Then she said I'll go ask her if she wants to come sit up front and have a break from the kids in a more comfortable seat. Apparently she did because she did switch seats - and everyone applauded. So apparently no meant yes - or he was not being too honest...
WOW - FAs are now certified licensed official marriage counselors too. Their list of skills never cease to amaze me....

Seriously, what right does an FA has to interfere with whatever dispositions a couple may have made, and make the gentleman uncomfortable by having the whole plane (apparently) take the wifes' side and make a fuss of it? NONE. She should get into very big troubles over this -- I know that any kind of such invasion into my private sphere would not be taken gently.

(I'd never have taken an F seat if my SO was not also in F, and I'd either decline an upgrade or give it to my SO. In other words, I'd not have done what the gentleman in this story did -- but I'll also defend his right to do as he wants without a nosy FA overstepping his/her boundaries.

Makes one almost wish that they meant it when they say that they're "primarily there for your safety, but will also be looking after your comfort on board"....I bet this gentleman didn't feel too comfortable.

Despicable interference on the part of the FA -- unprofessional through and through.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Unless the FA and the customer knew each other, and had a good relationship, this type of action should get the FA in hot water.
EVEN if the FA and the customer knew each other and had a good relationship, this type of action should get the FA in hot water, imo. FAs should, without exception, be professional towards all pax while on the job.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pinky
I am actually friends with both of them although my opinion has pissed him off... Yes, I think he should have given her the F seat or sat with her, not because she's female but because he gets to fly in F all the time and she doesn't get to experience it and because it would be a nice effort on his part to show how he feels about her....
Oh he did make the effort to show her exactly what he thought of her. She's good enough to live with but there is no way she gets upgraded to first class.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 7:15 pm

Programs: Various
I absolutely agree that it's a FF vs. non-FF issue. If you love someone enough to live with them (perhaps a naive assumption! ), why not give them the treat of flying first class when they aren't used to doing so.

As an illustration, I recently flew four segments with my husband and kids. We are all Gold on US (my husband, myself, and my daughter anyway - my son was a lap child on these particular legs), but I have more BIS miles and am therefore higher on the upgrade list. On the four legs, we had 1 upgrade, 2 upgrades, 3 upgrades, and 2 upgrades, respectively. On the three legs where we didn't all upgrade, I called the DM line and switched out my name for my husbands. On the actual flights, we (roughly) alternated who actually flew in first, and how the kids were distributed.

On a funny side note, on one of the legs where I was in first, the First FA went back to my husband and offered to bring him a drink - a nice gesture. Subsequently, on one of the legs where my husband was in first (I was in the first row of econ, so I heard all of this), he asked the FA if he could send me a drink back in coach. She said sure, poured the drink and brought it to me, and then charged me $5!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: VX elevate ,CO Gold,DL GM
nobody thinks the GF should have suggested paying the difference in the free coach ticket and a first everybody wins you do she does and the airline does
Old Aug 23, 2007, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by tsw1
nobody thinks the GF should have suggested paying the difference in the free coach ticket and a first everybody wins you do she does and the airline does

Hopefully you jest. That would probably go over like a lead brick.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer_70
Why? Is the GF a welfare recipient?
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:13 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
3) in one case where I was in F and others in C gave the F seat to the female in the group.
Here we go again. Why should male/female be a concern?

Originally Posted by roundtheworld
Actually there is one case where a NR passenger (mother of a pilot - about 70 years old, was strapped into the FA seat at 1L..
This has nothing to do with gender BS, but I think it is normal polite behavior.
It's a completely different case fromt he one above, and yes, it's polite behavior. But not "normal". The pilot could have bought here a paid seat if he thought that sitting in the jump seat would cause a problem. I'm not sure I would give up my paid seat -- unless it's a short hop.

HTB.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
Be a "mentch" and give her the UG!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:19 pm

Programs: VX elevate ,CO Gold,DL GM
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
if not it might be one less piece of BLING in the next few months
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by Sarah DDS
Why? Is the GF a welfare recipient?
I dunno.. what is the difference between a free coach ticket and first? If we are talking domestic probably $600 -$1K or more. "Hey baby... just give me $1K and the seat is yours!!". I don't think so.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 7:40 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
What a selfish looser. She should dump him as soon as she gets home.

I recently took my son on a trip to New Orleans. I was able to upgrade both of us but had only 1 seat been available, I would have let him have it as I often ride up front and he never had.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 7:50 am

Programs: AA P, QFPM, EYG, HH D, PC PA
I'm either old fashioned or just don't 'get it'. We can all fly for biz on our own but isn't the whole idea of "travelling together" as a couple well "travelling together"???

I hate middle seats but give up the window all the time if it means sitting beside my SO. Guess that says something.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mechteach
I absolutely agree that it's a FF vs. non-FF issue. If you love someone enough to live with them (perhaps a naive assumption! ), why not give them the treat of flying first class when they aren't used to doing so.
You said it right there, "if you love someone".
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Selfish only about upgrades?

Well folks, she says he was already upgraded for their flight today and she believes she'll be riding in back again. She has read all your posts and agrees with the majority and I suggested she ask about switching halfway through the flight... Remember this is JFK to LAX now. I also said they should let the FA know so she might get some special treatment. She maintains he is not a selfish person and is selfish only about his upgrades. I am quoting her and this is not my relationship so it's not personally how I would handle or accept it. She is leaving soon for the airport so I told her to call me if he does relent in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.