Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GF in coach?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by ancienthills
This happened to our family one time. We are a group of 2 adults and 2 children. We were offered an upgrade from coach to business for 2. We all flipped for it. Parent vs Parent and child vs child. My eldest son and I lost, but next time it happens then it is our turn !
Now that is a judgement worthy of Solomon! ^ ^
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:21 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pinky
I am actually friends with both of them although my opinion has pissed him off... Yes, I think he should have given her the F seat or sat with her, not because she's female but because he gets to fly in F all the time and she doesn't get to experience it and because it would be a nice effort on his part to show how he feels about her. However, my opinion and my saying that FT members would agree with me has gotten me into a lot of trouble. If they don't both get upgraded on the way back and she has to sit in back again, I recommended she print out these posts and show him how wrong he is...
This is exactly the reason I suggested you mind your own business...

Incidentally, on a recent flight from EWR to SFO in F on CO, a FA was berating a gentleman for having his wife sit with the kids in the back. He kept maintaining that she didn't want to sit in F. The FA wouldn't let him have his sundae and brought it to his wife. Then she said I'll go ask her if she wants to come sit up front and have a break from the kids in a more comfortable seat. Apparently she did because she did switch seats - and everyone applauded. So apparently no meant yes - or he was not being too honest...
The FA should be written up for this conduct. It's completely unprofessional and in violation of a number of company policies.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Unless the FA and the customer knew each other, and had a good relationship, this type of action should get the FA in hot water.
I agree, quite unprofessional.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by J-M
This is exactly the reason I suggested you mind your own business...
What's the problem here? It appears that Pinky was contacted by her friend(s) about this dispute; point being that she was invited into their business. Why are you jumping all over her?
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:34 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by yorock
What's the problem here? It appears that Pinky was contacted by her friend(s) about this dispute; point being that she was invited into their business. Why are you jumping all over her?
My point is just that after they asked her opinion, she sided with the girlfriend and has now pissed her other friend off by telling him that some people on an internet board don't agree with what he did. My observation was just a general one that these type of situations usually go nowhere fast.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by drat19

I've selected our seats on the 2 return segments so that we're next to each other in aisle and middle seats on both segments. I've made sure that *I* have the middle seats. Objective: Presuming I get the UG and she doesn't, we forfeit my middle seat. Then, I give my wife the UG, and I slide over to her aisle seat, both flights. (Of course if I miss my UG we're still sitting together.).

Great idea taking the middle seat. For me though, it doesn't work as my wife likes the window and I hate window seats. I just tell GA that I'd like to give my wife the upgrade but would like to trade her window seat for an aisle. Often works.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mshaikun
Great idea taking the middle seat. For me though, it doesn't work as my wife likes the window and I hate window seats. I just tell GA that I'd like to give my wife the upgrade but would like to trade her window seat for an aisle. Often works.
Sometimes we book twin aisle seats across the same aisle from each other, as obviously neither of us prefers the middle if given a choice.

Bottom line, pertinent to this thread, is to plan ahead when the possibility exists for only 1 of us to get upgraded.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:53 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by violist
David, what you need is a 1K girlfriend - that way you can clear together. I'd have guessed that here was a pretty
good place to shop for same.
oh, the joy of having a 1k g/f-know anyone? <insert self-plug here> and contrary to my signature, i really am a nice guy
Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:10 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
interesting subject as I have encounted similar situations. I don't think there is a right answer and I don't think either side should get bent out of shape over it. I am very tall and I dread sitting in coach because it can actually be quite painful. If the BF is a larger guy I think he should take the FC seat and I think it would be selfish of the GF to think otherwise. If they can both sit comfortably in coach then giving up the upgrade to her would be a nice gesture considering she has never flied first, but an all expense paid trip to NYC is a pretty nice gesture as well. Giving up the upgrade to a random person is nice but if you are going to do that you might as well let her sit up in front, after all, you don't travel all those miles just to give up the perks. In my particular situation I was flying with my GF and a buddy. My GF did not get upgraded so I give the ticket to my friend (win - win although had to put up with a tiny seat) on the return flight it was just me and my GF and I took the FC seat. She understood, and if she didn't I would have started looking for a new GF.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by yorock
Thank you. Yes I was asked my opinion and I did share it with them I also brought up the fact that I have seen this same issue on FT and what most posters report about it, and since one of them did not believe me, I said I would state the facts here so others could weigh in. It's not that I am butting into their business or inviting strangers into their business - it was fully discussed first. They also did not have a set "arrangement" in place about how to deal with one person getting an F seat. And if you feel this is butting into others' business, please don't share your opinion. This is not meant to be rude or offensive to anyone. Please do chill a little
Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:35 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pinky
And if you feel this is butting into others' business, please don't share your opinion. This is not meant to be rude or offensive to anyone. Please do chill a little
I'm plenty chill . You still didn't tell us if the girlfriend is hot though...
Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:44 pm

He should have gifted the upgrade to a stranger on the flight (someone flying in a military uniform, an older person perhaps, or someone who just caught his eye) and sat in the back with his girlfriend.

Just as an aside, this situation often comes up when flying with my husband. He always offers me the upgrade; I usually don't take it. I'm perfectly comfortable sitting in coach, and he has knee issues so he is more comfortable with more legroom. Doesn't bother me at all. But that's me.

Usually on such flights, the FAs send a drink back to me.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
I fly very often with Business tickets and my wife has econ, for work reasons. I always give her the business seat and sit in the back with the kids, torture as that can be sometimes
Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerwife
Just as an aside, this situation often comes up when flying with my husband. He always offers me the upgrade; I usually don't take it. I'm perfectly comfortable sitting in coach, and he has knee issues so he is more comfortable with more legroom. Doesn't bother me at all. But that's me.

Usually on such flights, the FAs send a drink back to me.
There ya go. I'm sure your dh loves you as much as I love my dw...he does right by you, you do right by him.

Lesson here is for the OP to communicate back to her friends.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wow, this thread has touched some nerves. The FT 1st prize or pushing buttons goes to...............Pinky.

My take: I'm 6'5" tall and hate coach, but I really feel akward, even in some cases with my employees flying with me, to take the upgrade when someone else is flying coach. It has nothing to do with Gender, Age, etc etc etc. It just has to do with manners.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.