Reload this Page >

GF in coach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GF in coach?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:05 pm

I'm not sure this belongs in the DL forum. TravelBuzz! maybe?

That said, I always make sure my SO is up front if only one of us is...
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by J-M
Not irrelevant at all, and live-in certainly means nothing. What if he looks like a walrus? Just the fact she's live-in doesn't answer up's question.

As to the topic of the OP, I'll jump in the fray, but go the other direction. It's none of your business what arrangements other people have. If both of them are ok with what he did, then great. If not, well, I guess he'll be having a "blue" vacation. Either way, the problem will resolve itself.
Please explain why what she looks like has to do with my original post. And no, I don't understand why his looking like a walrus would matter.

My original post said they were debating it, and thus obviously both of them are not ok with that he did. Otherwise they would not be debating whether what he did was right, would not have brought it to my attention and asked my opinion, and I would not have posted here. Thanks for telling me I'm butting my business into other people's supposed arrangements and then adding your 2 cents, of course. I always find it amusing when a poster flames the OP without carefully reading the original post - thanks so much for your kind words!
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mtparadis

Oops sorry - meant to say this was on Delta and upcoming flight on Delta so said I would post here for feedback in this forum...

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I think she should him the posts if he gets the only upgrade and wants her to sit in back again since he doesn't believe that most people would really think she should get it!
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by J-M
What if he looks like a walrus?
I think you meant "she"...This thread is starting to get ugly!

No pun intended
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:21 pm

In my experience, if FAs realize that you are letting your wife/GF sit in F on your UG while you sit in Y, they are usually very nice to you (I've received quite a few free drinks in Y, etc.).
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA, NW, CO, AA (General Member)
He should of let her sit in front, let her experience first class and he is a plat so I bet he has experienced coach before on a long domestic he would of survived.

Yeah, i know he earned his plat but why not be nice to the hopefully future wife
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:33 pm

The flight attendants can be super-nice to folks who give up their seats when they hear about it.

I remember sitting next to a gentleman in F who told me that he would be switching seats with his girlfriend because she had never experienced flying in F before. I told him I thought it was a shame they couldn't experience F together and although they were somewhat reluctant to do so, I switched with my F seat for their coach seat so they could sit together (the flight was a little over two hours, so it was no big deal for me as I can read magazines equally well in either size seat).

Shortly before take off, one of the FAs comes up to me and tells me that there are still a few empty seats in F and invited me back up front. In the end, everyone (except the airline who didn't get any more revenue for the additional F seat flow) made out well.

I'd be with the majority in having the gentleman in coach while allowing the lady to fly in F.

Last edited by TAR_Fan; Aug 22, 2007 at 7:35 pm Reason: ETA
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Let her take the bump and get the voucher?

Seriously, offer the seat to her. As other posters noted the FAs are usually very nice to you when they realize what happened. Every once in a while you get the ogre flight attendant that won't allow the swap to happen (I've seen it happen), but most every other case you get treated very well.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:38 pm

Programs: Skyteam
That's why she's only a live-in girl friend. Do you think any husband in his right mind would let his wife seat in coach? I think not!
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:39 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by mtparadis

I agree that this thread belongs in TravelBuzz so am moving it.
Please follow in TravelBuzz..
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: S3
Wait till you've been married upteen years with mulitple kids and grandkids and you're 100% she won't leave ya, then stick her in coach...
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
1. He absolutely offers her the seat and he sits in her seat.
2. He should then, assuming she turns it down, give it up when he gets to the gate to the next person on the list. (OR just offer it to the person sitting next to her on the plane.)

He sat up there and left her back there? Damn, he has A LOT to learn.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
GF in the luggage compartment?

This question comes up again and again and again. What 80% of people say is to give it to the wife. Why? Is she so delicate that riding with the great unwashed in coach will permanently scar her?

A few reasons why you might give up your FC seat to a spouse or GF:

Bad back
Very Tall
Very Wide
Never sat in FC before.

All are valid reasons. However, to give her the upgrade just because she's female is just nonsense in these days of equal rights.

Perhaps I've been married too long, but we can stand sitting in different rows and even cabins for hours or even days if necessary. Last week, my wife got upgraded on both segments to SJO, while my teenager didn't (reward ticket). They switched, and each got FC for one segment. I'd recommend a similar deal with the guy and his GF if he wants to be equitable.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
She should upgrade to a platinum boyfriend. He's pyrite. (fools's gold).
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:28 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmw1515
I think you meant "she"...This thread is starting to get ugly!

No pun intended
Haha! No... I meant exactly what I said... was responding to this:

Originally Posted by Pinky
Um, I'm a girl and that sounds like a really irrelevant and typical male question so I'll give it a smart@ss answer: Obviously good enough for him to live with! (you will note I said she is his live-in girlfriend)
Which was a response to this:

Originally Posted by underpressure
what does she look like?
She implies that because someone is a live-in girlfriend, they must be "good enough". I was pointing out that if the male half of the relationship looks like a walrus (ogre, troll, take your pick ) that the female half may not actually be "good enough"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.