Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

GF in coach?

GF in coach?

Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:07 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Upgrade her

I fly over 100 segments a year (most long haul) and all in F. So if I end up in F and anyone else is in C or Y I make sure they sit upfront.

If I fly with family of GF I always either
1) buy C/F awards
2) buy C tickets
2) upgrade to C with miles or
3) in one case where I was in F and others in C gave the F seat to the female in the group.

Actually there is one case where a NR passenger (mother of a pilot - about 70 years old, was strapped into the FA seat at 1L. I saw it and got up and told the FA to swap with me -- I think it was wrong to have the old lady sit like that -- she had no clue what was going on.

Well in the end I was asked to sit in the jump-seat in the cockpit. (Yes I have the credentials for such a treatment).

This has nothing to do with gender BS, but I think it is normal polite behavior.

Yes I travel a lot, but it is nice for others to experience a little bit of luxury as well -- and I can suffer a little bit.

and if he needs to know how to do it...

At boarding go to the purser, show both BP, and tell them you are switching seats so she can stretch out, and the he is in seat XXX.

The FA will love him for that, he will get nice treatment from them, and if he is super lucky he gets the seat next to her.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:45 pm

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
This is simply a matter of generosity. Last year when on the same flight as my sister (who flies rarely), I got my U/G and she was in coach. She had never flown F before and when I gave her my seat in F she was thrilled. The FA's brought drinks to me in 9B and Sis told everyone in the world what a great sister she had. I was delighted to do something so easy that gave her such pleasure.

Pinky's friend had the opportunity to make his GF happy and did not take it. The questions are, did he not realize how much she would enjoy it? Did he not care? Or is his comfort more important to him than doing something generous for her? Either way, GF should think about what this behavior means for the future.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:50 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I am curious... if it was the women who took the single seat instead of sitting with her bf, would it be any different?

I am amazed at the number of people who apparently cannot handle being apart for a few hours... not like you do not know where each other is sitting...
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
Sounds to me like Pinky is the GF in this story and is upset at her jerk BF.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
If I travel or go to gig and bring a friend I never abandon my friend. I don't know how many times I have been invited to after concert dinners in fancy restaurants with bands and management and each time I tell them I don't abandon my friend, not even leave them in the bar at the restaurant.

For some reason I have gotten a lot of respect from the person who invited me and the end result is that my friend is invited as well.

I would not take the UG if my partner couldn't. As my "on again off again" distant BF does not travel loads and is quite a lot taller than myself I would rather give up the seat to him (he's also claustrophobic) if we'd ever travel together. Not that it will happen this century.

/E
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sithjedi333
Funny but no... not one of those cases people.. . I am not hiding behind the supposed "friend" example. I will say this would not happen to me for several reasons, the LEAST OF WHICH being that I have elite status on several airlines so I would not be sitting in the back while any SO of mine rode up in F.

I will see if my female friend wants to weigh in later if she's not too humiliated by all the judgments made on her relationship.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I won't go for the male/female angle which so many have posted about. Instead its the FF vs non-FF that struck me.

If only one of them were going to get the F seat, then it should go to the non-FF. They would consider it an absolute treat to be up there and therefore appreciate it all the more, it's not something they experience all the time. Personally, I don't see that "first class" on the bp as that big a deal anymore, as I get the opportunity so often. I'm fine when I'm in Y, but prefer the upgrade when it clears but its not that big a deal overall (domestic, folks - for intl, it matters). OTOH, someone who has never flown in F, even domestic F, would have a blast, it'd be a treat, a gift and an appropriate gesture from one who has already had the experience.

The other part is that while these are two people flying together, it seems the FF'er dropped their non-FF friend into the back way too quick and grabbed the upgrade. If the FF'er has an issue travelling with the GF now, it'll only get worse in the future. From the OP, it doesn't seem like there was any hesitation that they'd be taking the upgrade and screw the other person, not even stopping to think about refusing the upgrade, giving it to someone else, etc. That lack of consideration would be raising some serious flags in my mind.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
And here I was thinking by the title what sitting in the back cabin of Gulf Air must be like (only ever travelled the old old FC on them).
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Pinky
My friend is Platinum and bought his live-in girlfriend a ticket from LA-NY. Only he was upgraded so he took the upgrade and she had to sit in coach. He said it's fair because he's Plat, he has to travel all the time and he bought her ticket. She never gets to fly in F and this was a vacation they took together.

Do you think he should have given her the F seat, should he have sat next her in coach and given his upgrade to the next person on the list, or did he do the right thing? I am in agreement with her about #1 or #2 personally...

Since they are debating and there are other posts about this on FlyerTalk, I said I would post this here so they can read the feedback.

He could get another upgrade on their return flight this week so your posts could have an impact on his behavior...
What if the upgraded person was the female? Then, should:

(1) She give him the F seat?
(2) Sat next to him in coach?

I assume you'd go along with either of these since you agreed when the upgraded person was male.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Yes, I think it's really the FF v. non-FF issue and not the male v. female issue. I personally have been upgraded when traveling with good friends who never get to fly F and given them the upgrade as a treat since I get to experience it all the time - not a big deal for me to give it up and I think it's rude not to (even though it's not my SO I'm traveling with which is a whole different story).

Also, I don't really buy the argument re: size (i.e. men are bigger and need the bigger seat). Personally I am very petite but I have back problems so who can really say that I don't deserve the larger seat over a taller/wider man if that is how you determine it? If you need an F seat that badly due to comfort (or largeness issues) then you will buy it with $ or miles as I often do...

Of course, if you go by my "hotness" factor then I should always get the upgrade over any man I travel with.... A JOKE for the benefit of some of you
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Your friend sounds like a real self-centered ****, and doesn't understand what it means to be in a serious relationship.

Pity the girlfriend, she out to get out of there quick.

And as your friend, I wonder when and how he (won't) come through for you in the future.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 31, 2007 at 9:20 am Reason: Deleted text offensive to FT Rules and Guidelines
Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by sithjedi333
GOOD OBSERVATION! Why didn't I see that possibility? Have we been duped?
Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
He should prepare to be dumped...

The best thing to do in the situation is pass up on the upgrade to sit with his SO. He could offer it to her, since she doesn't experience it often, and it would be a treat, but really, if she wasn't aware of it when it was offered, he should've just declined and not told her.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by wharvey
...I am amazed at the number of people who apparently cannot handle being apart for a few hours... not like you do not know where each other is sitting...
It has nothing to do with not being able to stand a few hours' separation. Except for retired couples with no individual interests, we all have that much or more time apart on a regular basis. It's that the comfort level of rubbing up against someone for several hours, leaning into them, sharing an armrest with them, stepping over them, etc., etc., is much higher when it's your SO than when it's a total (and perhaps smelly or otherwise annoying, it's hard to know ahead of time) stranger.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by old_vine_zin
GOOD OBSERVATION! Why didn't I see that possibility? Have we been duped?
It's the most obvious possibility - a little too obvious - and no, I swear this is not about me at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.