Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airlines still serve caviar in first class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which airlines still serve caviar in first class?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
AF served me fois gras on CDG-ORD last year, shortly after the Chicago city council passed a law making it illegal to sell fois gras in Chicago. I think AF might have just been snubbing their noses at the Chicago politicos.

BTW, I prefer fish eggs to goose livers.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:28 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Last two flights on SU (Aeroflot) Business class had caviar.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:38 pm

In the olden days, beluga was served with a big spoon (SQ, LH, NZ, BA). Last time I had it in F a few years ago (can't remember which carrier), it was already on a plate with condiments, and it was very small.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:28 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap
NH certainly does.
But it's Chinese caviar...
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mcg1000
But it's Chinese caviar...
NH using sub-par caviar?.... maybe... NOT.
Do you know where NH is from? :|
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:52 am

Qantas First has caviar on selected routes.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:53 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
QR has *excellent* caviar.

Both SQ and LH have very sub-par caivar, though LH is the better of the two.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Lufthansa serves Calvisius farmed caviar since 2004. Over-fishing and poaching is a huge problem with Caspian caviar.

www.calvisius.com
Old Aug 27, 2007, 4:08 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by kaka
NH using sub-par caviar?.... maybe... NOT.
Do you know where NH is from? :|
I live in Japan so I think I do.

Just flew FRA-NRT in First and surprised to see China as the country of origin on the small jar that I was given with my blinies.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Timfid
There's caviar and then there's caviar. The real (and expensive!) stuff is Beluga, Osetra, and Sevruga Caviar, mostly from Iran and Russia. The there are various salmon, gar, and other fish roes from America and other places which say caviar on the label, but are much cheaper and aren't really the same thing. I wonder if the airlines mentioned as serving caviar really serve the real thing ...? [We need a smilie for "ummm ... yum!]
Caviar = from a sturgeon, no other fish produces caviar.
Country of origin is irrelevant.
America does produce "real" caviar, from sturgeons. Just not sturgeons living in Iran or Russia.
anything from other fishes = "roe"
Old Sep 4, 2007, 2:23 pm

Read a trip report in Airways Magazine. The author flew from Tehran to Caracus on Iran Air in a 747 SP. There were only 30 some odd passengers. He was opuped to First and was served Iranian caviar.

More amusing was the pictures. If you want to go back in time, take this flight. Although, maintenance issues would make me very nervous, and so would being in Iran.

BTW-Iranian is suppose to be the best (now).

I bought some in AMS, and ate it on the ride home. Irananian was good.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 2:33 pm
Suspended

For all those who love caviar, I just had the chance to get an option for about 3kg of Almas Caviar (without the 24karat boxig ).
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:50 pm

Programs: Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by USDHS1984
I am no connoisseur of fine Caviar but I read the label. BR served Iranian Imperial Ossetra Sturgeon Caviar on a TPE-LAX flight. I initially figured it must be cheap stuff since I had never heard of Iranian Caviar (did I mention I was a low class kind of guy) But later someone who should know more than I, assured me that was high quality and fairly expensive stuff. I know it was quite good to eat.
Iranian caviar is superior in quality to Russian varieties and is more expensive. This is due to the fact that the Iranian region of the Caspian Sea is deeper and less polluted, and that the Iranian State Fisheries monopoly (known as "Shilat") have better quality control methods that the former Soviet states. A recent UN ban on Caspian caviar exports did not apply to Iran, as they use sustainable fishing practices. Caviar is one of very few Iranian products legally available in the US.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2...7-08-20-02.asp

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/04/...s/sturgeon.php
Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
US serves caviar (yellow perch). It's in their snack basket, right next to the biscoff's.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Which caviar is served aboard CX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.