FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Which airlines still serve caviar in first class? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/681086-airlines-still-serve-caviar-first-class.html)

laila Apr 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Which airlines still serve caviar in first class?

Which airlines still serve
caviar in first class?

ylwae Apr 10, 2007 3:01 pm

LH, SQ, CX, EK that I know of.

LapLap Apr 10, 2007 3:29 pm

NH certainly does.

USDHS1984 Apr 10, 2007 3:57 pm

BR does. Being a low class kind of guy and all I actually never had caviar before. It never seemed like it would be that appetizing to me. Surprisingly, it was quite good.

bcmatt Apr 10, 2007 4:20 pm

SU and KU both have it in business sometimes.

Never been a great fan of it :(

Timfid Apr 10, 2007 6:06 pm

There's caviar and then there's caviar. The real (and expensive!) stuff is Beluga, Osetra, and Sevruga Caviar, mostly from Iran and Russia. The there are various salmon, gar, and other fish roes from America and other places which say caviar on the label, but are much cheaper and aren't really the same thing. I wonder if the airlines mentioned as serving caviar really serve the real thing ...? [We need a smilie for "ummm ... yum!]

Timfid Apr 10, 2007 6:51 pm

Buying caviar?

A related question which some people might be interested in is, at what if any airport duty-free shops can you get a real bargain on real caviar? Dubai? Moscow? Tehran (assuming you can go there)?

1worldtrader Apr 10, 2007 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Timfid (Post 7560777)
A related question which some people might be interested in is, at what if any airport duty-free shops can you get a real bargain on real caviar? Dubai? Moscow? Tehran (assuming you can go there)?

It is that much less expensive in the regular stores in Russia that you don't even need to buy it in a duty free shop .....^

MisterNice Apr 11, 2007 7:17 am

I believe it is currently illegal to bring into the USA most of the pricier caviers.

MisterNice

rbrenton88 Apr 11, 2007 11:05 am

Thai First also has caviar.

Guy Betsy Apr 11, 2007 11:11 am

Originally Posted by rbrenton88 (Post 7564317)
Thai First also has caviar.

Not anymore according to THIS latest report.

SchmeckFlyer Apr 11, 2007 12:00 pm

What kind of caviar do most airlines in F serve? And for airlines that offer the more expensive/fancy Beluga caviar, do they also serve it on US routes? (Considering the US has banned the importation of Beluga caviar.)

USDHS1984 Apr 11, 2007 12:27 pm

I am no connoisseur of fine Caviar but I read the label. BR served Iranian Imperial Ossetra Sturgeon Caviar on a TPE-LAX flight. I initially figured it must be cheap stuff since I had never heard of Iranian Caviar (did I mention I was a low class kind of guy) But later someone who should know more than I, assured me that was high quality and fairly expensive stuff. I know it was quite good to eat.

anaggie Apr 11, 2007 12:39 pm

never tied caviar before...but since I will lbe flying SIN F ....will try this time around....

FTraveler Apr 11, 2007 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer (Post 7564692)
What kind of caviar do most airlines in F serve? And for airlines that offer the more expensive/fancy Beluga caviar, do they also serve it on US routes? (Considering the US has banned the importation of Beluga caviar.)

I believe Ossetra is the highest grade of caviar currently being served on those carriers which still offer it in F - no more Beluga.